My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: My F1 car

wow, that update is really great, love the whole rear diffuser shape!

You might want to change the way the exhaust exhaust, instead of blowing upwards blowing backwards, then you can create an hole around it and trim some off the sidepod bodywork.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

lkocev

Wow LegendaryM, you really are doing some stellar work here. I don't even want to imagine just how much of a c*nt it would have been to model that central section of your diffuser. Brings new meaning to Martin Whitmarsh's comments "one can imagine that we have a relativley extreme double diffuser design". Some seriously complex modeling going on there ... well done lad.

Your updates seem to always be extremerly big, you must enojoy 3D modelling alot to be able to consistently spend that much time on it. And almost every time you update, it seems that upper deck of the diffuser just keeps gettig bigger. I like the louvre's on the rear wing endplates, I think that is very clever how you have exploited that area of the regulations. Perhaps you could try that with an upward curved shape, to more or less follow the upwash of the diffuser/lower rear wing coupling, time permitting of course.

Anyhow, lovley work, keep it up and pretty soon, your designs are not going to be allowed to be shared on this forum. (If you don't get what I mean by that, I mean sooner or later you will be working for an F1 team)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Id love to see what the numbers and results of running that design thrugh a CFD simulation would say.

Only one thing. Your camera mounts on the front would be illegal as a camera has to be level to the ground with only a maximum of +/-5 degreese of attack angle from them viewing the car from the side.

Bargeboards could be refined a little more, maybes integrating them in with the sidepod turning vayne, simmilar to what Ferarri did with the F60, but more developed and exploited.

Those are 2 ares id look to refine and modify to get the car a) leagal and b) with a better aero map.

PNSD
PNSD

wow! very nice!

One thing though, would it be possible to make the diffuser a little less linear? By that I mean add some curvature to the vertical fences?

Such as shown with the Mclaren and Brawn?? Otherwise very very nice! I'd hate to put that in CFD though, imagine the processing time, very complex!

http://www.imagesf1.com/2009/mclaren/28.jpg

http://www.imagesf1.com/2009/brawngp/47.jpg

The_Man
The_Man

Thats a very rare undertray picture there. What are those longitudinal things under the front wings? Never notices them earlier.
IIT Bombay Racing
Vehicle Dynamics FSAE 08; FS 09

godsire
godsire

Great job LegendaryM! Very cool car :D

But I think, that you should make improvements to (like ESPImperium said) make it legal and aero-efficent. I noticed, that your changes are not always helpful (those new parts of car sometimes brings just more drag without proportional downforce). Of course, I cannot say it is true, what I've said at all, because I don't have data about this car. So if you want to develop your bolide you need to use programmes, that will show you the effect of your work (in numbers) like CFD simulations. Numbers don't lie :D If you don't want to make them (those simulations), because of too weak computer or lack of CFD software, you can just put an updated car-file and I think, that someone would do it for you (we all are curious about the results :)

And could you possibly post a picture of the whole car after an update because it would be easier to see the general changes, the idea of work, etc. And if you want to make your own car, you may finish it (making it legal) and then we could compare its performance and technical results with other 2009 cars. Maybe your car would be even better? :D

PS: How old are you? :)

Tonn
Tonn

Nice job =D>

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Good work man! Wish i could do this with the sketches i'v done. I got angry and deleted the program after I couldn't figure out how to work anything lol.

Shrek
Shrek

PNSD wrote:wow! very nice!

One thing though, would it be possible to make the diffuser a little less linear? By that I mean add some curvature to the vertical fences?

Such as shown with the Mclaren and Brawn?? Otherwise very very nice! I'd hate to put that in CFD though, imagine the processing time, very complex!

http://www.imagesf1.com/2009/mclaren/28.jpg

http://www.imagesf1.com/2009/brawngp/47.jpg
the brawn one looks like an F1 gravesite, scary
Spencer

LegendaryM

ESPImperium wrote: Only one thing. Your camera mounts on the front would be illegal as a camera has to be level to the ground with only a maximum of +/-5 degreese of attack angle from them viewing the car from the side.
I'm pretty sure that's legal because it says "viewing from the side of the car". I think the rule is designed to stop the suspension wishbones and camera mounts being put at an angle of attack to make downforce. Also look at the mclaren's front suspension. the same rules apply to the camera mountings and the suspension in this case, the the suspension on te mp4/24 points up by way more than 5 degreese.

Ill try and post an overview picture later today after ive done my gcse english coursework
MRVC: Tolo Racing

LegendaryM

MRVC: Tolo Racing

gridwalker
gridwalker

LegendaryM wrote:Ill try and post an overview picture later today after ive done my gcse english coursework
You're doing your GCSEs? :o

Wow :shock:

I wish that I'd have had the kind of hardware necessary to do this when I was that age, as I'd have probably given it a shot (I was restricted to 2D CAD renderings at the time) but still, boy is this all the more impressive now.

Keep it up : you're developing a mighty impressive skill there. =D>
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

wesley123
wesley123

wow, the car overall is looking really good, some small things that can be better(the upper plane connections of the front wing, imena, the second deck is gonna fall of with 300km/h. I'm sure gonna use some ideas you implement here for my own car that will be made for F1Challenge! I might show it here as it is a complete developped car through the whole season(for those who know the WM08 car for F1C know what i mean, i built it afterall, that one had a huge development, the spain version differed at everypoint from the brazil version).

The car is now pretty much copying the teams and own ideas, but as your development is turning better i might copy your things too :lol:

Soem parts of your car can be discussed if good or bad, so that is a good thing lol.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bajanf1
bajanf1

=P~ Good to see another update from you. Some of these changes are very interesting and continue to make me wish that you had some CFD done on them so we could see what works.

You are now doing your GCSE's and modelling like this :shock: If you tackle some of the areas that some of the guys here are suggesting along with learning to do some CFD on this, you will learn even more. Great work man.

PlatinumZealot

Legenedary M, it's great! How do you do it? with lofted curves? Looks like a difficult job.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN