Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 09:04
Manoah2u wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 00:54
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 23:30
RedBull should sign him if they want to challenge Mercedes in the WCC any time soon.
Wait, you mean

Perez > RedBull
Vettel > Aston Martin
Albon > AlfaTauri
Kvyat > Dumped again

:wtf: quite frankly, the way 2020 has panned out, i couldn't even be surprised.
Exactly mate .
That's a big kick in the balls kind of feel as a 4-times World Champion, to know the guy you're going to replace gets a seat at Red Bull, when you've just been refused by that team because they want to continue with the current line-up...

I feel:

Perez > Renault
Vettel > Aston Martin
Ocon > Reserve driver Merc again

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 00:33
FrukostScones wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 23:58
NathanOlder wrote:
RedBull should sign him if they want to challenge Mercedes in the WCC any time soon.
VET? Spot on.
No. If they sign Vettel then they kiss goodbye to any championship hopes they have. Max and Seb will come to blows in the same team. Absolute certainty.
If he goes there with Verstappen, Vettel will finally know how Webber felt to be on the rough end of all those decisions made by the team all those years ago, though. It’ll be like some weird circle of life.

JordanMugen

WaikeCU wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 10:28
That's a big kick in the balls kind of feel as a 4-times World Champion, to know the guy you're going to replace gets a seat at Red Bull, when you've just been refused by that team because they want to continue with the current line-up...
I'd be more concerned for poor old Kvyat!

Vettel had every chance to stay at Red Bull-Renault from 2015 onwards until the present day of Red Bull-Honda but chose to go to Ferrari.

Same for Ricciardo. I don't think Horner is super vindictive (not as much as Abiteboul anyway!), but he was probably a bit miffed when both Vettel and Ricciardo left, despite every intention from RBR to keep them on.

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 23:23
As for HAAS, they urgently need to get rid of Grosjean. I think Magnussen has served his time by now too, so either or both of them can take a hike imho. Perez is fast and experienced so will be worth more than Grosjean and Magnussen combined, AND he's faster than the both of them too, and that still leaves HAAS another seat if they wish - for example Fittipaldi.
I think Perez + Schartzmann would be an impressive lineup for Haas!

However I think Haas will be loyal to Magnussen, Magnussen is a top bloke after all. :)
Manoah2u wrote:
Perez > RedBull
Vettel > Aston Martin
Albon > AlfaTauri
Kvyat > Dumped again

:wtf:
I think that would be an excellent outcome!

Apart from poor old Kvyat dropped by Red Bull *again*. :cry: Maybe this time, that would mean Verstappen wins the WDC, lol.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 12:55

However I think Haas will be loyal to Magnussen, Magnussen is a top bloke after all. :)
Personally, i think it's time for Kevin to move on from F1.
Haas has plenty of sponsoring in teams in the USA, and i think Kevin would fit a lot better
with NASCAR for example at this moment, and be successfull really.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Wastegate
Wastegate

Manoah2u wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Wait, you mean

Perez > RedBull
Vettel > Aston Martin
Albon > AlfaTauri
Kvyat > Dumped again

Why would RB drop Albon ? The guy has a not so good race in Styria and goes from that great driver who replaced Gasly and nearly missed on two podium positions thanks to Ham, to that mediocre guy who should be demoted to AT... :-k

nacho
nacho

The speed deficit to Verstappen has been too much for Albon. He wasn't fast in the first race, he was there fighting with Hamilton and possibly with Bottas only because there were not one but two safety cars in the race, the second SC enabled him to get a fresh set of softs compared to Mercs staying on old mediums.

NathanOlder

nacho wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 18:04
The speed deficit to Verstappen has been too much for Albon. He wasn't fast in the first race, he was there fighting with Hamilton and possibly with Bottas only because there were not one but two safety cars in the race, the second SC enabled him to get a fresh set of softs compared to Mercs staying on old mediums.
Exactly, albeit old hards. Albon is no faster than Gasly. Kvyat has had far too long, Gasly and Albon deserve a little longer. Put them together at Alpha Tauri, get Perez for 2yrs at RedBull. In 2 years time, the better of Gasly and Albon can take the place of Perez.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

6 of 12
6 of 12

Here's something silly: STroll looking better than Perez so far this weekend #-o #-o #-o :shock: :wtf:
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Big Tea

6 of 12 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:10
Here's something silly: STroll looking better than Perez so far this weekend #-o #-o #-o :shock: :wtf:
Looking out for his job

Maybe Perez has an under the table deal somewhere else but wants a 'handshake' to go :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98
McMika98

Never thought there would be a day when Stroll qualifies in the top3. Just goes to show how much of the results are based on the car, cough Hamiltons dominance is akin to Vettels.

NathanOlder

McMika98 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 21:31
Never thought there would be a day when Stroll qualifies in the top3. Just goes to show how much of the results are based on the car, cough Hamiltons dominance is akin to Vettels.
He did start on the front row at Monza before. Although that was after RedBull took grid penalties.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

6 of 12 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:10
Stroll did outstanding this weekend, VERY curious to the race.

Interestingly, Stroll has managed a P2 with Williams in Baku too and he was close to a win (Maldonado style).
Indeed it does show just how much a car makes a difference and how somebody can just start to excell and 'unpop' when they're in the right environment. Let's hope he can put up a show as i think his seat is going to nobody else anyway so it'll be good news if he can actually put in a performance.
I have rated Perez above him, but this might become the moment where things start to fall into place.
We've seen Russell unpop aswell.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Wastegate wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 16:56
Manoah2u wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Wait, you mean

Perez > RedBull
Vettel > Aston Martin
Albon > AlfaTauri
Kvyat > Dumped again

Why would RB drop Albon ? The guy has a not so good race in Styria and goes from that great driver who replaced Gasly and nearly missed on two podium positions thanks to Ham, to that mediocre guy who should be demoted to AT... :-k
I present to you this weekend's qualifying as another prime example as to where Albon is not cut for the job.
Verstappen has 'not been on it' all weekend, and quite frankly, hasn't been any race yet. He's not in his mojo, he's annoyed with the car/team, and since there is no indication for any improvement, really far from his 'very best'.

This is THE opportunity and SHOULD be taken with all the effort from Albon to grab 'the bull by its horns', and show his worth and at the very least be right there with a less than stellar Max.
Instead, he's way down below, and instead of seeing signs of improvement, actually shows signs that it's gonna get worse even.

Right now, with a less than stellar car, it comes down to the drivers to perform the best out of the car, and even with an annoyed Verstappen, who hopefully will stay out of a collision, is still guaranteed to get his RedBull within the P10 range. Whereas Albon, by no means, is remotely gonna make a P10, so with a 'top tier team' car, is not able to get a point. This is exactly why RedBull wants and NEEDS top drivers. Ricciardo would GUARANTEED make P10. Daniel definately is/was on par with Verstappen, no matter who of the two would eventually be faster, they're essentially on the same level.

Albon is miles off that, and quite frankly fits more in the picture of the difference between Giovanazzi and Raikkonen, where obviously Albon is the Giovanazzi and Verstappen is Raikkonen.

Worst of it all is that I even doubt that if two cars collide and get a DNF in the top 10, STILL albon will finish out of the points. I expect him P11 at his very very best, but wouldn't be surprised to see a P13.

As such, Albon is NOT making a name for himself. He's actually showing he's NOT cut for the RB mothership.

At the same time, guys like Norris, Russell, and hell even STROLL right now are making a name for themselves.
THAT's what Albon SHOULD be doing, no matter the material.

The problem that persists though is that RedBull has nobody within their own programme to replace him with who would be a step up. Albon, Gasly, Kvyat, Hartley, they're ALL in the same league of 'just missing that extra bit'.

In other words, if RedBull wants to get their definately P10 capable car actually ending up P10, they're going to have to replace Albon, and thus have to shop OUTSIDE of the RBR family.

Which brings back the potential to get their hands back on their trusted steed Vettel, of which quite frankly remains NO DOUBT that he WILL get that RBR a P10 finish this weekend. Other options are, as somebody else mentioned indeed, Perez.

Worse of it all is that despite Verstappen being signed for the long haul, this is NOT doing their relationship ANY good, and as such it becomes EVER SO IMPORTANT to make SURE there is a capable driver at the team that will stay and perform. Perez will definately be interesting in that aspect, as would Vettel, but by the way things are going right now it's getting more and more obvious that Vettel is gonna end up at Aston Martin by 2021, which means that the only driver 'fit' for the job, AND also is 'free' for a seat, will be Perez.

All of RBR's capable drivers which they had are gone and won't come back: Sainz, Ricciardo, who BOTH would guaranteed bring what Albon can't.

So, it would be interesting to see:

Hamilton & Bottas @ Mercedes
Vettel & Stroll @ Aston Martin
Norris & Ricciardo @ Mclaren
Alonso & Ocon @ Renault
Verstappen & Perez @ RedBull
Sainz & LeClerc @ Ferrari

And something tells me that'll actually be the order for 2021.

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 22:38
Wastegate wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 16:56
Manoah2u wrote:

Wait, you mean

Perez > RedBull
Vettel > Aston Martin
Albon > AlfaTauri
Kvyat > Dumped again

I present to you this weekend's qualifying as another prime example as to where Albon is not cut for the job.
Verstappen has 'not been on it' all weekend, and quite frankly, hasn't been any race yet. He's not in his mojo, he's annoyed with the car/team, and since there is no indication for any improvement, really far from his 'very best'.

This is THE opportunity and SHOULD be taken with all the effort from Albon to grab 'the bull by its horns', and show his worth and at the very least be right there with a less than stellar Max.
Instead, he's way down below, and instead of seeing signs of improvement, actually shows signs that it's gonna get worse even.

Right now, with a less than stellar car, it comes down to the drivers to perform the best out of the car, and even with an annoyed Verstappen, who hopefully will stay out of a collision, is still guaranteed to get his RedBull within the P10 range. Whereas Albon, by no means, is remotely gonna make a P10, so with a 'top tier team' car, is not able to get a point. This is exactly why RedBull wants and NEEDS top drivers. Ricciardo would GUARANTEED make P10. Daniel definately is/was on par with Verstappen, no matter who of the two would eventually be faster, they're essentially on the same level.

Albon is miles off that, and quite frankly fits more in the picture of the difference between Giovanazzi and Raikkonen, where obviously Albon is the Giovanazzi and Verstappen is Raikkonen.

Worst of it all is that I even doubt that if two cars collide and get a DNF in the top 10, STILL albon will finish out of the points. I expect him P11 at his very very best, but wouldn't be surprised to see a P13.

As such, Albon is NOT making a name for himself. He's actually showing he's NOT cut for the RB mothership.

At the same time, guys like Norris, Russell, and hell even STROLL right now are making a name for themselves.
THAT's what Albon SHOULD be doing, no matter the material.

The problem that persists though is that RedBull has nobody within their own programme to replace him with who would be a step up. Albon, Gasly, Kvyat, Hartley, they're ALL in the same league of 'just missing that extra bit'.

In other words, if RedBull wants to get their definately P10 capable car actually ending up P10, they're going to have to replace Albon, and thus have to shop OUTSIDE of the RBR family.

Which brings back the potential to get their hands back on their trusted steed Vettel, of which quite frankly remains NO DOUBT that he WILL get that RBR a P10 finish this weekend. Other options are, as somebody else mentioned indeed, Perez.

Worse of it all is that despite Verstappen being signed for the long haul, this is NOT doing their relationship ANY good, and as such it becomes EVER SO IMPORTANT to make SURE there is a capable driver at the team that will stay and perform. Perez will definately be interesting in that aspect, as would Vettel, but by the way things are going right now it's getting more and more obvious that Vettel is gonna end up at Aston Martin by 2021, which means that the only driver 'fit' for the job, AND also is 'free' for a seat, will be Perez.

All of RBR's capable drivers which they had are gone and won't come back: Sainz, Ricciardo, who BOTH would guaranteed bring what Albon can't.

So, it would be interesting to see:

Hamilton & Bottas @ Mercedes
Vettel & Stroll @ Aston Martin
Norris & Ricciardo @ Mclaren
Alonso & Ocon @ Renault
Verstappen & Perez @ RedBull
Sainz & LeClerc @ Ferrari

And something tells me that'll actually be the order for 2021.
Albon likes a stable and predictable car, which he does not have. He said it is like driving a different car every time due to the switching of suspension and aero. I also think he does not like crashing, which Max seems to accept as part of the job and pushes limits as a matter of course. (not knocking him, that's the way to gain fractions).
I think the race will be different and we could easily see Albon in the top ten, but not far up, and easily see Max out.
4 or 5 points are better than none. (or then again, we could see a double dnf #-o )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.