2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Re: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

GrandAxe wrote:
zeph wrote:I don't know the particulars of Raikkonen's struggles, but to be this far off the pace from Alonso begs the question, just how bad is that Ferrari really, or just how good is Alonso?

I have always rated Raikkonen highly, and perhaps he just has more trouble adjusting to the new formula, but I'd expected him to have sorted it out by now and draw closer to his teammate.
These guys are getting on with age now and Kimi might be doing that a bit quicker than most. As a young man with McLaren, he really lived the high life at the West end as an unrelenting boozer. There is evidence that alcohol cause premature aging.
Alonso is that good.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

iHpled
iHpled

Emerson.F wrote:Alonso has literally qualified in 5th position more than any other driver in grand prix history. lmao

Fred Forever Fifth
Hahaha my father always predicts Alonso for fifth in qualy :lol:
I wonder if someone can find some statistics on Alonsos starting positions, would love to see that.

Sorry for being off topic

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

iHpled wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:Alonso has literally qualified in 5th position more than any other driver in grand prix history. lmao

Fred Forever Fifth
Hahaha my father always predicts Alonso for fifth in qualy :lol:
I wonder if someone can find some statistics on Alonsos starting positions, would love to see that.

Sorry for being off topic
I think Brundle said 55 times. :wink:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

djos

2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

Amazing job by Dan, Vettel had him in Q1/2 but Dan pulled out a perfect lap to grab p2 when it mattered.

Epic lap by Lewis tho, really destroyed Rosberg!
"In downforce we trust"

lebesset
lebesset

beelsebob wrote:
zeph wrote:I don't know the particulars of Raikkonen's struggles, but to be this far off the pace from Alonso begs the question, just how bad is that Ferrari really, or just how good is Alonso?

I have always rated Raikkonen highly, and perhaps he just has more trouble adjusting to the new formula, but I'd expected him to have sorted it out by now and draw closer to his teammate.
To be honest, as sad as it is, I think all we're seeing is that Kimi is maybe not quite as good a driver as we might have thought he was in the past. He's still a pretty damn good driver, he's just not up there on the level of Alonso and Hamilton.
will be interesting to see if they are able to fix kimi's gearbox problem for the race
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

iotar__

Rosberg: "Then on my final timed lap, I was half a second quicker going into the last corner - but my time delta on my steering wheel display said that I was two tenths slower. So I just took a big risk and spun because I mistakenly thought I had nothing to lose anyway."
What a hell? Next there will be a correction that it was Rosberg himself choosing wrong display, just like strategy in Bahrain #-o .

gandharva

The Renault ERS is still bitching around. Ricciardo struggled in Q1/Q2 and Vettel in Q3. They need to get on top of this problems asap. Hamilton dominated S3!

LionKing
LionKing

I thought the Renault guy talked about running the engine a lot closer to max this weekend. RBR are still 20km/h down on straights (317km/h to 297km/h).

Xwang
Xwang

What's the forecast for tomorrow? Will it be a wet race?

djos

gandharva wrote:The Renault ERS is still bitching around. Ricciardo struggled in Q1/Q2 and Vettel in Q3. They need to get on top of this problems asap. Hamilton dominated S3!
Tires were Dan's issue in q1/2 (team radio).
"In downforce we trust"

basti313
basti313

beelsebob wrote:

To be honest, as sad as it is, I think all we're seeing is that Kimi is maybe not quite as good a driver as we might have thought he was in the past. He's still a pretty damn good driver, he's just not up there on the level of Alonso and Hamilton.
Please...Raikkonen was better in the last Q and had bad luck in the first two races. Now Alonso was better...makes Alonso a better driver? And do not miss, that we had a wet Q with Alonso lacking topspeed...so perhaps wet setup.

All this "who is better" is completely useless at the moment when we compare Alo/Rai, Gro/Mal, Vet/Ric...because everyone is still struggling for pace and there are large differences in the time to adapt to the new cars among teammates.
Don`t russel the hamster!

LionKing
LionKing

I think it is more due to Kimi struggling.

Last year against Massa, the quali was much more even (10-8 in favor of Alonso.)

Powershift

gray41 wrote:Lewis 11 behind Sebastian now in poles, he might catch up by the end of season.

Who'd have thought that.
ME! Lewis was the only driver challenging VET for poles when the red bull was a far superior car
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Rikhart
Rikhart

beelsebob wrote:

The last 2 years show that your statement is ridiculous, maybe you didnt pay attention? He was very good. Very, VERY good.

Juzh

Looking at the speed trap data we can conclude one thing: renault PU is just pure ---. How can one mess up so hard?