2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
thetruth
thetruth

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

LM10 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 22:37
izzy wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 11:25
LM10 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 01:36
I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but surely not because of some chicane cutting. In their first week's analysis they claimed Ferrari to be fastest in slow speed sections as well. It's not based on sector times, though. Otherwise Alfa Romero should have been up there as Kimi had the fastest S3 time by cutting the chicane.
Yes good point. It must be from gps, but with teams doing test session programmes the data simply don't mean anything, with whatever laps they chose
Regarding chicane cutting: An interesting thing is that AMuS put the 26.0 S3 time from Vettel in their test analysis, claiming that it was the second fastest S3 time of testing with only Bottas being faster with a 25.9. This means that AMuS thinks that it actually was a proper sector and no chicane cutting.
I remember last year there was a similar question about S3 time of Hamilton in testing days, 26.0. He was cutting, he wasn't, and then he destroyed Barcelona time lap in the Q session.
I'm not saying Ferrari's faster, but is funny that we're wondering the same thing one year later.
We'll see soon if it was a corner cut or if it wasn't. :D

dans79

thetruth wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 22:59
LM10 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 22:37
izzy wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 11:25

Yes good point. It must be from gps, but with teams doing test session programmes the data simply don't mean anything, with whatever laps they chose
Regarding chicane cutting: An interesting thing is that AMuS put the 26.0 S3 time from Vettel in their test analysis, claiming that it was the second fastest S3 time of testing with only Bottas being faster with a 25.9. This means that AMuS thinks that it actually was a proper sector and no chicane cutting.
I remember last year there was a similar question about S3 time of Hamilton in testing days, 26.0. He was cutting, he wasn't, and then he destroyed Barcelona time lap in the Q session.
I'm not saying Ferrari's faster, but is funny that we're wondering the same thing one year later.
We'll see soon if it was a corner cut or if it wasn't. :D
I think the issue is the press are almost always still in vacation mode during testing.
197 104 103 7

djos

Ringleheim wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 19:58
Rain during qualifying would be most welcome! As long as it's not so much rain they have to cancel it!
Not going to happen, my weather station shows bugger all rain on Saturday.

"In downforce we trust"

zibby43
zibby43

Per Motorsport.com, Mercedes was able to address the PU issues it encountered during winter testing, and will not have to roll back the specification or limit engine modes in any way for the Australian GP.

GPR-A

zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 23:41
Per Motorsport.com, Mercedes was able to address the PU issues it encountered during winter testing, and will not have to roll back the specification or limit engine modes in any way for the Australian GP.
Ouch. You broke my heart. What's the hope now?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... s/4737228/

TigerF1
TigerF1

Hey Guys - Australia has now extended the travel ban to Italy. Does anybody know if this might affect the race? Also, should we go or is this not good from a disease containment perspective? Was thinking of taking my 4 y/o kid to quali...

djos

TigerF1 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 05:16
Hey Guys - Australia has now extended the travel ban to Italy. Does anybody know if this might affect the race? Also, should we go or is this not good from a disease containment perspective? Was thinking of taking my 4 y/o kid to quali...
I'd say the Italian teams would have their staff here already considering the F1 starts tomorrow.

According to Customs "travellers from Italy will be subject to enhanced border screening processes." - I believe this means they are testing ppl on arrival for COVID-19.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-med ... oronavirus
"In downforce we trust"

Hail22

djos wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 05:37
TigerF1 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 05:16
I'd say the Italian teams would have their staff here already considering the F1 starts tomorrow.

According to Customs "travellers from Italy will be subject to enhanced border screening processes." - I believe this means they are testing ppl on arrival for COVID-19.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-med ... oronavirus
"From 6pm AEST Foreign nationals who have been in Italy, mainland China, Iran and South Korea will not be allowed into Australia for 14 days from the time they left those countries."

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 83bd04bf6d
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

djos wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 23:39
Ringleheim wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 19:58
Rain during qualifying would be most welcome! As long as it's not so much rain they have to cancel it!
Not going to happen, my weather station shows bugger all rain on Saturday.

https://i.imgur.com/WXhtCtq.png
Is there a golf course nearby? They seem to be very accurate with weather forcasting.

djos

Yes it’s part of the Albert park sports precinct.
"In downforce we trust"

El Scorchio

Some Haas (2) and McLaren (1) team members have shown signs of the virus and have been isolated in their hotel rooms...

Phil

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole F1 will come to a halt and the government step in and prohibit spectators at the track.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Chuckjr

etusch wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 20:48
GTO99 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 20:36
Wow, quite cool temps for the wkn'd!
It will be interesting to see which team can better put heat on to tires and whether Merc's new DAS system will be employed for this issue.
I've read that redbull will protest if they use the system.
The rear brake ducts have been banned on the Merc and Racing Copy.
As far as DAS...
I’m sure Red Bull engineering is already developing prototype linkage systems to accomplish the suspension geometry and mechanics to perform the DAS trick, while Newey is already considering/drawing aero options to implement it into aero. The notion this system can’t be implemented quickly by this team is silly. I saw Red Bull completely redesign the entire rear aero of the car during the coanda episode McLaren unlocked, if memory serves. There’s no doubt they can add that DAS system if need be. They certainly have the staff, engineering, and capability. I’d say if it’s deemed legal Red Bull will have it on the car by the European season if not before. The protest is likely to affirm their assumptions of how it works should it pass.

And yes they will protest so they don’t have to do any development of that if they don’t have to because it costs a lot and taxes resources.

Just my 2 cents.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Wouter

AMuS: One McLaren, two Haas and one Williams member are testet.
Also Ferrari and AlphaTauri members are feeling sick, and an ingenieur of Haas.
Test results are not expected until Thursday.

Mittwochnachmittag, 16 Uhr Ortszeit, wurde in Melbourne bekannt, dass sich zwei Teammitglieder von Haas sowie je einer von McLaren und Williams einem Test unterziehen mussten. Es soll aber auch bei Ferrari und Alpha Tauri Leute geben, die über Anzeichen einer Erkältung klagen. Auch die werden bei einem Arzt vorsprechen müssen. Haas hat einen weiteren Ingenieur, dem möglicherweise Abschottung im Hotelzimmer droht.

Mit den Ergebnissen wird nicht vor Donnerstag gerechnet.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... tfallplan/
The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 12:11
AMuS: One McLaren, two Haas and one Williams member are testet.
Also Ferrari and AlphaTauri members are feeling sick, and an ingenieur of Haas.
Test results are not expected until Thursday.

Mittwochnachmittag, 16 Uhr Ortszeit, wurde in Melbourne bekannt, dass sich zwei Teammitglieder von Haas sowie je einer von McLaren und Williams einem Test unterziehen mussten. Es soll aber auch bei Ferrari und Alpha Tauri Leute geben, die über Anzeichen einer Erkältung klagen. Auch die werden bei einem Arzt vorsprechen müssen. Haas hat einen weiteren Ingenieur, dem möglicherweise Abschottung im Hotelzimmer droht.

Mit den Ergebnissen wird nicht vor Donnerstag gerechnet.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... tfallplan/
This is the one thing that could stop the race, if it's suspected the virus is in and amongst the garages.