Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Cover the rear wing??? I dont think that there is nothing much to hide????

krizalid1001
krizalid1001

Another pic from the formula 1 official website

http://www.formula1.com/wi/597x478/sutt ... 08fe39.jpg

shelly
shelly

Mr.S wrote:Cover the rear wing??? I dont think that there is nothing much to hide????
Three possible (even if different) explainations:
- they have indeed something to hide there today
- they do not have anything to hide there today, but they will have in the future: mechs are practising procedures
- they they do not have anything to hide there today, but they have something to hide elsewhere today, so they are just diverting attention (it has been doe in the past)
twitter: @armchair_aero

pocketmoon

Do we know for sure if Merc are running with the EBD ? Perhaps it's the exhaust position they want to hide rather then wings/diffuser ?

Gridlock

It's most likely going to be post-run flo-vis or polychromatic heat sensors, rather than anything physical.

Forza

pocketmoon wrote:Do we know for sure if Merc are running with the EBD ? Perhaps it's the exhaust position they want to hide rather then wings/diffuser ?
Without the better pictures it's hard to guess. But yesterday I noticed heat isolation on upper rear wishbone. SO if they were blowing at it could be somewhere inside this bodywork. But the view is blocked BW.

Last edited by Forza on 08 Feb 2012, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Since when is Mercedes`version of the "monkey-seat" opened? I thought it was solid....do you see the hole? Right above the crash structure.

EDIT: http://www.formula1.com/wi/597x478/sutt ... 08fe39.jpg
Last edited by ForMuLaOne on 08 Feb 2012, 18:53, edited 2 times in total.

neilbah
neilbah

Referring to the pic forza posted has the floor seen Thru the diffuser at this angle always had those openings? Theres a small rectangle and a tiny triangle, it may be a trick of the lighting, alot of errors like that are made on here.. :)

swanracing
swanracing

good effort from Mr Schumacher today.

is it possible that the W02 has dummy EBD to throw the others off the scent?

looking at the pics in the links above the rear view you can see two curved exits on either side of the back of engine cover, exhaust outlets??

dren

Did they have the slotted gurney last year?
Honda!

Mr.S
Mr.S

Autosport confirmed that Mercedes ran their 2011 spec car with EBD & all. The only possible work they can possibly do is on the Front WING F-duct.

I dont know about RRH in here & all the mercury talk. If they dont want to give it or something why debut in here especially when Charlie Whiting is having a stern eye for every car

Mr.S
Mr.S

James Allison on Wind-Tunnel & CFD ->

"'Everyone's windtunnel is beautifully calibrated,' said Allison. 'They are exquisitely calibrated with very expensive instruments. I think that the word that people maybe should use is correlated. What aero guys are continually searching for is correlation between the tests they do in the windtunnel, on track and in CFD. I'm sure if you went to the teams up at the front end of the grid, one of the reasons is that they are at the front end is that the vast majority of the experiments they do in their testing domain translate into the physical domain. What aero teams strive for in addition to coming up with good aerodynamic ideas is a testing environment where they know the fruits of their labour in the tunnel will translate to laptime on the track.'

"So, that's the idea. The trouble is that this correlation takes a little work to get right. At the level that F1 teams are operating, very tiny discrepancies in correlation can make a big difference and it's only possible to know if a car is going to work properly when you run it in the real world. Teams have a multitude of factors to take into account. In the windtunnel, there's a danger you can come up with a car that works perfectly on the flat but has big airflow separation problems once bumps and yaw are taken into account. Teams try to factor this in, but you can only really be sure how the world works in the real world. With CFD, for example, the further downstream you go in the car, the more calculations the simulation relies upon and the greater margin for error. In the windtunnel, you can only simulate the car in so many transient states so you need to get it onto a real track to see how it works. Ideally, the correlation is good and your car is a goer. If not, as Ferrari found this year, very small differences can put you on the back foot."

I hope Merc have some trick up there sleeve otherwise this could be a disaster. These 5 days of running are like 7-8 race Weekends. Huge changes in set-up & can lead to huge possible gain especially over long run with varying fuel loads.

Keeping my Fingers Crossed. Waiting for 21st & hoping Mercedes deliver a Fantastic Car

Fredy4
Fredy4

Anybody god any vids from the test?

It would be intersting to hear if they are indeed running the full EBD.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Schumacher wants reliable W03

Michael Schumacher completed 132 laps in the W02 on Wednesday

After setting the fastest time of the second day in Jerez, Michael Schumacher says it is important that the W03 is reliable when it is launched ahead of the second test.

Schumacher was using the 2011 Mercedes to analyse the new Pirelli tyres on Wednesday, and on a short soft-tyre run set the quickest time of 1:18.575. While the time is not comparable to the 2012 cars so far, Schumacher was asked if he was concerned that the team would only have eight days to test the W03, and he said he just hoped for the most track time possible.

"The main point is the reliability factor," Schumacher told reporters at Jerez. "I think if the car has a certain performance, you're going to dial that out reasonably quick unless you have unexpected circumstances which we occasionally had in the past. We hope not to have this, we hope to learn our lesson and our program is done in a way that we believe in.

"[The later launch] is maybe an important factor because we work longer on our car, but as I've said before I don't think we can realistically achieve a championship car from where we started last year. We have to build our way there; I'm confident we can do that in future but let's take it step by step."

Reflecting on Wednesday's running Schumacher said that the team had been able to make the most of the 132 laps completed.

"We had a very productive day, did lots of mileage - good mileage, not just cruising around - we made some very good work with the new tyres that we have to face for this year. And that was the main focus for us; understand those tyres, use the old car as much as we know what is different between those cars for this year and last year's car, and trying to understand and work a program that we've done perfectly well today."

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mr.S wrote:Ideally, the correlation is good and your car is a goer. If not, as Ferrari found this year, very small differences can put you on the back foot." [/b]
2011?
More could have been done.
David Purley