Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Predator

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Two enhanced pics from yesterday:

(click to enlarge etc)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

No news on the W03 sadly, and I dont expect there to be any until at least saturday.

Mercedes are in fact testing a front wing F-duct at Jerez, here are some photos off AMuS.

More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

More on the F-duct front wing.

Normally, the oval hole in the tip of the nose sealed. When open the system is activated, the hole will split shortly after the entrance into two courses. Here, air is introduced into the front wings. There were earlier models of this system, the F-slot in the rear wing, which came into vogue in the early season.
(Mercedes toyed with a passive version for some time).

The air is then passed via a conduit system through the front wing pins in the right and left part of the main blade. The backpressure reaches a certain degree, then blows the air onto the underside of the wing with a total of four slots. The driver, is not in any way, part of the operation of this system.

The the idea to blow the underside of the wing is novel, the obvious benefit is the top speed. By how much, about the experts disagree. McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh is estimated between five and eight km/h He notes, however, that this technique is difficult to get to work effectively.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Raptor22
Raptor22

Caption: "les have a look at your teeth...."

Raptor22
Raptor22

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:More on the F-duct front wing.

Normally, the oval hole in the tip of the nose sealed. When open the system is activated, the hole will split shortly after the entrance into two courses. Here, air is introduced into the front wings. There were earlier models of this system, the F-slot in the rear wing, which came into vogue in the early season.
(Mercedes toyed with a passive version for some time).

The air is then passed via a conduit system through the front wing pins in the right and left part of the main blade. The backpressure reaches a certain degree, then blows the air onto the underside of the wing with a total of four slots. The driver, is not in any way, part of the operation of this system.

The the idea to blow the underside of the wing is novel, the obvious benefit is the top speed. By how much, about the experts disagree. McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh is estimated between five and eight km/h He notes, however, that this technique is difficult to get to work effectively.

A agree with Witmarsh.

there are many variables that will affect the switching. I am also loathe to call it an a F-duct because there is no 2ndary flow to provide the switching mechanism.
Its really just like a bagpipe. You blow on one end and once you have enough pressure to overcome the restriction on the other end the air starts to vent into the boundarylayer detaching it and creating a "Stall".

Air density is affected by temperature, atmospheric conditions, the wake of the car in front, wind direction. Yikes you relaly could find yourself with a few kilo's less grip underbraking because the wing is still stalled.

Then again it is a closed system so the air pressure required for switching would be set to a fixed gauge pressure

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

Ferraripilot wrote:
The front wing f-duct has been talked about to death here, but it and the mercury system they are supposedly developing are intended to do one thing, which is they don't want to just beat their opponents, they want to crush them. That's the only reasoning I can think of behind Mercedes' massive infrastructure build-up with this team the past year.

But if you didn't know already, the front wing f-ducts purpose is to stall the wing after a certain pressure is realized. This of course reduces drag and yields a few more kph top speed.
Yes, of course, I'm aware of that, first learnt of it when they tested a version at some races last season (most notably at Suzuka). It's just that I forgot all about it by the time the tests began.

Here's a shot from Jerez with the open inlet on the nose:

From Autosport\Sutton.

aral
aral

MercAMGF1Fans wrote: yes, Autosport said that the car was being run in FULL 2011 spec, as did James Allen
Then why do rear end photos show periscope exhausts?

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

gilgen wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote: yes, Autosport said that the car was being run in FULL 2011 spec, as did James Allen
Then why do rear end photos show periscope exhausts?
i believe you are referring to the exit points near the rear suspension . those are not periscope exhaust but cooling slots introduced at Silverstone last year and have been on the car since then.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

@gilgen

"Then why do rear end photos show periscope exhausts?"

Havent seen a single Picture from the Merc in Jerez 2012 showing persicope exhausts ?. The one 2 pages earlier was taken ad the AbuDabi young drivers test most likely Sam Bird was sitting behind the wheel

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Once again the 2011 Mercedes goes fastest in the hands of our Tamed Pop star! heheh a brilliant 1:17.613 on lap 58 8/10ths faster than the 2012 cars

xpensive
xpensive

For those of you watching live, do notice the amazing ride-height stability of Rosberg's AMG before Curva Expo?

Mercury rising?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

xpensive wrote:For those of you watching live, do notice the amazing ride-height stability of Rosberg's AMG before Curva Expo?

Mercury rising?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> actually Ted Crapvitz said on twitter that merc are infact using the Fw F-Duct yesterday, and this morning/today

Ferraripilot

From what I can tell with higher fuel run times, W02 is around .800-1.000 quicker than anyone else on what I believe to be similar loaded runs. I do not believe W02 in it's final 2011 revision could do this on merit so I'm guessing they indeed have a bit hiding under its skin.

Also, has anyone else noticed the white plastic box-looking bits next to the exhaust yet between the tire? They are clearly in an upright position there and form a three sided box.

pocketmoon

Ferraripilot wrote:From what I can tell with higher fuel run times, W02 is around .800-1.000 quicker than anyone else on what I believe to be similar loaded runs. I do not believe W02 in it's final 2011 revision could do this on merit so I'm guessing they indeed have a bit hiding under its skin.
I recall the last Q2 session of the 2011 season where Nico pulled out a stunning lap (+0.5s up) which put the car up with the front runners and then failed to repeat the time in Q3. Only deepens the mystery :)

Peetbeat
Peetbeat

maybe w02 was the best car :)? but nico and michael were not able to push the car hard to the limit ;) haha just joking

serious now, what about the car in the corner? does it looks like new suspension or not?