Mclaren MP4-29 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Mclaren MP4-29 Pre-launch Speculation

Shakeman wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:what if mclaren is the team alongside lotus not to appear at jerez? :-k
It never did Red Bull any harm to sit out the first test.
then there should be no problem either for lotus nor mclaren, right? Image
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

Manoah2u wrote:
Shakeman wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:what if mclaren is the team alongside lotus not to appear at jerez? :-k
It never did Red Bull any harm to sit out the first test.
then there should be no problem either for lotus nor mclaren, right? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smil ... umbsup.gif
Its very different this year.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Holm86 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
then there should be no problem either for lotus nor mclaren, right?
according to kimi it isn't :mrgreen:

if you'd crack down on the actual possibile benefits of a jerez appearance, then it becomes rather bleak.

seems like the sole benefit of attending jerez is nothing more then having a run with the engines and seeing if the
car shifts, drives, and how cooling goes.

because pirelli won't be bringing tires that'll be representive for the actual racing season, then you can't get any usefull data on how the engine will transfer to the track because tires are the key ingredient there.

so really, why would one attend jerez? extending vehicle development sounds a lot more usefull to me then doing a installation lap and getting some data in between red flags and some test drivers doing some work.
all that can be done in bahrain just the same, where there will actually will BE some representative circumstances.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Tim.Wright

I can tell you now, any team not going to Jerez are not missing it due to choice but something is gone wrong and they can't make it. There are a million things they will be testing and validating regardless of the tyres.
Not the engineer at Force India

Holm86

Manoah2u wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
according to kimi it isn't :mrgreen:

if you'd crack down on the actual possibile benefits of a jerez appearance, then it becomes rather bleak.

seems like the sole benefit of attending jerez is nothing more then having a run with the engines and seeing if the

because pirelli won't be bringing tires that'll be representive for the actual racing season, then you can't get any usefull data on how the engine will transfer to the track because tires are the key ingredient there.

so really, why would one attend jerez? extending vehicle development sounds a lot more usefull to me then doing a installation lap and getting some data in between red flags and some test drivers doing some work.
all that can be done in bahrain just the same, where there will actually will BE some representative circumstances.
You can still do aero testing. Do correlation between cfd and real aero. And of course see how the engines perform.
Last edited by Holm86 on 18 Jan 2014, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

Probably what the articles have conveniently failed to mention is that the crash test mclaren did immediately after the fail test, passed.
But that doesn't make a good story does it, or am I being cynical?

Are we to believe that mclaren just rock up with a concept component for the crash test and they say to themselves 'if this fails we're not making Australia!'

I doubt it.

I'm not denying that one or even more components failed, just most likely they took a few different solutions and will launch/test the car with the solution that passed, the 'failure' would have a lap time performance over the 'passed' one.

My thoughts.
Just a fan's point of view

adrianjordan

CjC wrote:Probably what the articles have conveniently failed to mention is that the crash test mclaren did immediately after the fail test, passed.

Are we to believe that mclaren just rock up with a concept component for the crash test and they say to themselves 'if this fails we're not making Australia!'

I doubt it.

I'm not denying that one or even more components failed, just most likely they took a few different solutions and will launch/test the car with the solution that passed, the 'failure' would have a lap time performance over the 'passed' one.

My thoughts.
Makes sense to me. A smaller team, maybe would have to gamble a bit more, but a team of McLaren's size?? Surely they'll have a relatively conservative design as a backup so that they know they can get on track on time...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Lycoming
Lycoming

Manoah2u wrote:so really, why would one attend jerez? extending vehicle development sounds a lot more usefull to me then doing a installation lap and getting some data in between red flags and some test drivers doing some work.
You always need a shakedown to make sure everything works properly. If you find that something doesn't work properly, then you need time to fix it. Thanks to Murphy's law, you will probably find after shakedown that you have quite a few things that need fixing or tweaking. So, would it not make sense to get all of that done and out of the way before the Bahrain test so that you can make better use of the time you have under representative conditions?

Unc1e_M0nty

Manoah2u wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Exactly, but if they don't do all the engine checks, cooling checks & air rake maps etc at Jerez they'll have to do all this work at the 2nd test when everyone else will be working on performance.

To me Jarez is just about system checks, so they can hit the ground running in Bahrain and put in some serious mileage, maybe bolt on a few new bits.

Any major problems at Bahrain requiring new parts and it's an 8 hour flight verses 2hrs to Spain.
Last edited by Unc1e_M0nty on 19 Jan 2014, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Find a problem on Day 1, then manufacture parts, fly then to Jerez if completed and participate in Day 3/4...

Find a problem on Day 1 at Bahrain (Day 5 of testing) and then get the parts to Bahrain for Day 3/4 (Testing days 7/8)

I think it's pretty easy to see from the above scenarios which option you want to take for a new car.

Trocola
Trocola

Manoah2u wrote:
Well, it could be enven better not to attend Bahrain too, because there would be red flags too.

Jerez is the most imprtant test. It will be the first time they try the new engine and that's, for me, the most important test of the season

adrianjordan

Trocola wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Well, it could be enven better not to attend Bahrain too, because there would be red flags too.

Jerez is the most imprtant test. It will be the first time they try the new engine and that's, for me, the most important test of the season
I completely agree and that's why I'm sure that McLaren will have the MP4-29 on track in Jerez as they planned to...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

CjC wrote:Probably what the articles have conveniently failed to mention is that the crash test mclaren did immediately after the fail test, passed.

I doubt it.

My thoughts.
Where did you read, that the crash test Mclaren did immediately after the fail test, was passed by the car?
If you tell the truth we should not be so concerned. Please give me the source I want to see with my eyes.
Thanks.

FrukostScones

omnicorse says silver car at presentation without title sponsor...

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... or&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

KingHamilton01

Don't think Anyone really know's what colour it is going to be, I had a message from guy who run's facebook page and he informed me it's going to be orange.
McLaren Mercedes