Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPower
JPower

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 21:18
Fer.Fan wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 21:15
JPower wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:22
Given the cars shown thus far, I'm wondering just how far Ferrari is going to attempt to push things.

I think both Aston and McLaren have some pretty nice solutions to regs put in place for this year. Much more radical than I thought would appear.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
McLaren is basic car, lack of undercat, lack of inovations, no big deal. Aston is different story, even Haas are far more radical then Mclaren.
Aston Martin F1 car is just too much bloated. Lets hope mercedes car is also not so chunky. it will be a disaster!
I don't agree with either of you. In fact, those opinions sound more ignorant than anything.

Emag
Emag

Fer.Fan wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 21:15
McLaren is basic car, lack of undercat, lack of inovations, no big deal. Aston is different story, even Haas are far more radical then Mclaren.
McLaren showed a simple car with many bits hidden, and you can still see plenty of clever ideas and innovations, so I don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you glanced over the car and it seemed basic to the naked eye, and you saw the Aston with its long sidepods and that seemed striking to look at. Otherwise I don't see how you could arrive to this conclusion.

The truth is, out of the cars that have been released so far, McLaren is the one who has dared to push things the most. What Aston has done is nothing that we haven't seen before. The concept of an undercut is well known, and it has been used in the past regulations as well (FW-41 is an example). Aston just pushed it to the extreme. Whereas HAAS, has gone for a basic implementation of these rules. They have pushed their sidepods to the front, widened them so that they can push the tire wake away (basically trying to replace bargeboards), and sloped the sidepods so that the clean air coming from the other side can go towards the diffuser in the rear end. Nothing too daring going on there.

McLaren on the other hand, has completely switched the suspension configuration, going pull-rod on the front, push-rod on the rear (and the rear has a pretty interesting layout, trying to maximize space for airflow over the venturi tunnel below). McLaren is also using a smart tea-tray solution that takes air from the front, squirting it into the sidepods which then push that air outwards to try and deflect the tire wake. And their cooling solution maximizes the performance of the beam-wing and the rear wing.

McLaren had covered every floor detail, the leading edge of the floor, leading edge of the tea tray, and the diffuser. And they also showed no high quality images on critical angles. Yes there are renders, but they have been simplified so much to the point the front wing on the render is not even legal. So there's plenty more to see on that car.

So anyway, point is, McLaren's car is definitely not basic. They have taken the most risks. And that could go either way for them. It will either bite them in the ass and make them fall down the order, or it will pay off and get them closer to the front.

Nevertheless, given how much hype Ferrari has been getting this off-season, it's making me overly curious to see these presumably completely innovative aero solutions that they may have come up with.

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPower wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:22
Given the cars shown thus far, I'm wondering just how far Ferrari is going to attempt to push things.

I think both Aston and McLaren have some pretty nice solutions to regs put in place for this year. Much more radical than I thought would appear.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
That McLaren definitely got my attention. They behaved like a real top team with that car, lots of innovation and I hope Ferrari bring their AAA game because if the McLaren looks like that I can't even imagine what Mercedes and Red Bull will have done

They keep stressing innovation in the marketing so that gives me some hope I otherwise wouldn't have had since Ferrari have been lacking on that front since 2019

wowgr8
wowgr8

We've had an unusually low amount of leaked info on this year's car considering it's Ferrari where there's usually insider scoops everywhere. All the info that's come out has been to do with the engine saying Ferrari hit their power target which doesn't really tell us much

I guess the info will begin to pop up this week right before the launch

jumpingfish

wowgr8 wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 15:35
We've had an unusually low amount of leaked info on this year's car considering it's Ferrari where there's usually insider scoops everywhere. All the info that's come out has been to do with the engine saying Ferrari hit their power target which doesn't really tell us much

I guess the info will begin to pop up this week right before the launch
Yes, I was wondering as well. Yesterday @giulyduchessa wrote that Ferrari maintained "several possible roads" to be able to make radical turn in development if other team brings a winning car. :(

wowgr8
wowgr8

jumpingfish wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 08:22
Yes, I was wondering as well. Yesterday @giulyduchessa wrote that Ferrari maintained "several possible roads" to be able to make radical turn in development if other team brings a winning car. :(
Yeah I saw that tweet. Ferrari are doing the smart thing

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

wowgr8 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 10:12
jumpingfish wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 08:22
Yeah I saw that tweet. Ferrari are doing the smart thing
If this is the case, I think it shows a lack of confidence in any one direction/aero philosophy. Surely to build the car in such a way that it can be easily switched to ‘several possible roads’ means that tolerances need to be higher everywhere.

Also aligns with rumours coming out that they’re feeling cautious/nervous about the aero but confident about the engine.

I’m getting scared! But this is just pre-launch jitters as always.

Does anyone know if media are allowed at the ‘shakedown’ at Barcelona so we still get pics and news? Or is it completely closed and we won’t hear anything concrete until Bahrain?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Also McLaren adopting rear pushrod suspension layout, also rumoured to be true of redbull and alpha tauri, but we know this is not so for Ferrari because of the Haas rear suspension. Missed a trick? Only time will tell

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPBD1990 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:13
If this is the case, I think it shows a lack of confidence in any one direction/aero philosophy. Surely to build the car in such a way that it can be easily switched to ‘several possible roads’ means that tolerances need to be higher everywhere.

Also aligns with rumours coming out that they’re feeling cautious/nervous about the aero but confident about the engine.

Does anyone know if media are allowed at the ‘shakedown’ at Barcelona so we still get pics and news? Or is it completely closed and we won’t hear anything concrete until Bahrain?
Afaik journos are allowed at Barcelona. For your first point; I think anyone who has 100% confidence they've done the right thing and no one else has done better than them is playing themselves

The only teams that can afford to think like that are Mercedes and Red Bull, Ferrari are not at that level yet. Their confidence has definitely been harmed by the last 3 years and it's right they take this cautious approach instead of betting everything on one concept that could fail and keep you trailing the leaders for another 3 years playing catch up

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JPBD1990 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:15
Also McLaren adopting rear pushrod suspension layout, also rumoured to be true of redbull and alpha tauri, but we know this is not so for Ferrari because of the Haas rear suspension. Missed a trick? Only time will tell
The AM rear end suggests that Mercedes will be rear pull rod too. So there could be an interesting split in the paddock between pull and push rear ends.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1NAC

wowgr8 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:18
JPBD1990 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:13

Afaik journos are allowed at Barcelona. For your first point; I think anyone who has 100% confidence they've done the right thing and no one else has done better than them is playing themselves

The only teams that can afford to think like that are Mercedes and Red Bull, Ferrari are not at that level yet. Their confidence has definitely been harmed by the last 3 years and it's right they take this cautious approach instead of betting everything on one concept that could fail and keep you trailing the leaders for another 3 years playing catch up
I don't think their confidence is not yet up at the level. Just look the switch from 2020 to 2021... from 6th to 3rd.. and even when you look at the launch photos from 2021, Ferrari one looked totally different from SF21 despite chasis homologation period.

I wouldn't say that they are lacking confidence..

wowgr8
wowgr8

They aren't confident that they're as good as Mercedes and Red Bull, Binotto said the aim of this season is not the championship but rejoining the top 3. If they had confidence he'd say our aim is to win the championship

He's not wrong to say what he said and rejoining the top 3 performance wise is a good target

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:13
They aren't confident that they're as good as Mercedes and Red Bull, Binotto said the aim of this season is not the championship but rejoining the top 3. If they had confidence he'd say our aim is to win the championship

He's not wrong to say what he said and rejoining the top 3 performance wise is a good target
Source? For 2021 it’s true he told top 3, but for 2022?

Why would you need to “rejoin” the top 3, if you already have done that the year before?

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:

He didn't say that.

He said the goal Ferrari in 2022 is greatly reduce the gap to Red Bull/Mercedes and compete for poles/wins.

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPower wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:18
wowgr8 wrote:

He didn't say that.

He said the goal Ferrari in 2022 is greatly reduce the gap to Red Bull/Mercedes and compete for poles/wins.
Yes, that's what I'm saying, compete for poles and wins like in 2019 where Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull were the big 3