2022 Haas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Haas F1 Team

Zynerji wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:44
Kmag is a good choice. Good benchmark for Mic. Hulk has done his time and failed to capitalize in critical moments as skilled as he is. Kmag is an agressive midfield fighter is the type of driver Haas needs.
HAAS needs someone with a bright future, not a mediocre past.

They have that already someone with a bright future in Mick.
Developmental reference point is what is needed now. Kmag already knows the team well.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:50
Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:44
Kmag is a good choice. Good benchmark for Mic. Hulk has done his time and failed to capitalize in critical moments as skilled as he is. Kmag is an agressive midfield fighter is the type of driver Haas needs.
HAAS needs someone with a bright future, not a mediocre past.

They have that already someone with a bright future in Mick.
Developmental reference point is what is needed now. Kmag already knows the team well.
Ok. But he doesn't know jack nor sh1t about the car.

With that, I'd gamble on a talent, not a has-been.

PlatinumZealot

Neither will your rookie. But KMag knows how to race in F1, the rivals and he knows how Haas works. Easier to hit the ground running.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

LHamilton
LHamilton

Magnussen is a good, respectable option. If we go by the more experienced drivers (Hulk, Gio & Magnussen) that was somewhat rumoured, I'd probably put him 2nd, behind Hulkenberg and before Giovinazzi. Somewhat hard to judge since Magnussen and Giovinazzi has more or less only been at one team and had one driver as his teammate. Giovinazzi had the odd race at Sauber and Magnussen had McLaren (But it was his rookie season) and only one season at Renault.

Why do I put Hulkenberg ahead of Magnussen? Well, I have to sort of base it on their respective seasons against Palmer, since it's the same driver they have gone up against. And Hulkenberg looked far superior to Palmer than Magnussen looked compared to Palmer. Obviously little sample size. Which is why it is somewhat hard to rate them. But with Magnussen they get a respectable driver and a known quantity.

Little bit suprised that it ended up with Magnussen in HAAS again since he has said himself that the only condition he would return to F1 was capable of winning races. Will HAAS be that strong? I doubt it. So I do wonder what has changed.

JPower
JPower

Zynerji wrote:

Who says KMag is quick enough?

They could have sold the seat to Alpine for their juniors, or even put Kubica in there if the asked Alfa. Let's not forget Giovanni held his own against Kimi. I don't rate KMag even on that level...🙄
Haas.

Alpine would have to pay for the seat(8 digits for one year most likely), which I seriously doubt they want to do. Piastri's management pretty much shot it down anways. Kubica is tied to Alfa through Orlen. I assume he's bound by contract and its irrelevant as KMag is better than Kubica.

Gio could've been there but its obvious Haas preferred KMag and his experience with the team. He probably would've never left in the first place had Covid not happened.

proteus

Zynerji wrote:
JPower wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:43

Why bring back KMag when there are a dozen youngsters that would love a shot.

KMag was always so-so. I'd rather any of the Ferrari academy drivers or Colton Herta over him.
Because they already have a crash happy FDA youngster. Why burden yourself with two?

Herta doesn’t have superlicense points and who says the FDA drivers are quick enough?

They could have sold the seat to Alpine for their juniors, or even put Kubica in there if the asked Alfa. Let's not forget Giovanni held his own against Kimi. I don't rate KMag even on that level...🙄
Who says Giovanazzi and Kubica are quick enough? Even though Giovanazzi was quicker in qualifying, he wasnt a match to Kimi when it mattered in the race. Not to mention that motivation of Kimi gradually declined and jet he managed to score more points.

Kubica is also not what he used to be, and is long past his prime. The only better candidate might have been Hulkenberg, but otherwise Magnussen is more than a good choice.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Holm86

Happy to see Kmag back, wonder if he brings back his personal sponsor Jack&Jones in a larger scale

MrHopsing

Great choice imo. Got experience and can give valuable feedback on setup etc, and he does some awesome race starts.

continuum16

Magnussen makes a lot of sense. OK, is he world champion material? Doubtful, or else he wouldn't have been left without a seat in 2021. BUT he is a serviceable driver and more importantly the team knows him. There will be less time needed to acclimatize with the team, and it seems as if many team members genuinely like the guy (which I don't think you can say about his predecessor). Haas team morale and marketability is in desperate need of a pick-me-up. I'm surprised it's a multi-year deal to be honest, but if Haas put it on the table then Magnussen would be crazy not to sign.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Zynerji wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:43
JPower wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:20
Zynerji wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:13
I love KMag, but what a waste of a seat😪
How is it a waste?
Why bring back KMag when there are a dozen youngsters that would love a shot.

KMag was always so-so. I'd rather any of the Ferrari academy drivers or Colton Herta over him.
And have “again” 2 rookies in the car? (1.5 if we consider that is Mick’s second season)… Not a good idea if you are aiming for points… In addition, who? Most of the rookies that could have taken the seat are tied to other teams, which isn’t the best approach for Haas… They already have in Mick someone that is tied to another team (Ferrari), having a driver tied to them (like Kevin is) sounds like the better idea, not only because of his relationship with the team, but he should be of way more help than any rookie (to F1) in regards to help with setup and development.

diffuser

JPower wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 21:22
Zynerji wrote:

Haas.

Alpine would have to pay for the seat(8 digits for one year most likely), which I seriously doubt they want to do. Piastri's management pretty much shot it down anways. Kubica is tied to Alfa through Orlen. I assume he's bound by contract and its irrelevant as KMag is better than Kubica.

Gio could've been there but its obvious Haas preferred KMag and his experience with the team. He probably would've never left in the first place had Covid not happened.
I think the import thing to point out was team the thought they needed experieince. After living without it for a while and what they know about Mich, I'd expect they have a pretty good idea what he's lacking. So that probably helped. I think he is the 2nd best of the group but I understand the devil they know thing.

Sevach
Sevach

I don't rate Mag as a talent nor i'm very fond of him for how he used to behave on track and in the paddock.
But he is a decent yardstick for Mick, hopefully he has changed his ways of racing his team mate harder than anyone else.
Last edited by Sevach on 10 Mar 2022, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Sevach wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 04:57
I don't rate Mag as a talent nor i'm very fond of him for how he used to behave on track and in the paddock.
But he is a decent yardstick for Mick, hopefully he has changed his ways of racing his team mate harder than anyon else.
Based on how he raced IMSA last year, probably not. He didn’t make many fans with the other drivers there.

He’s a good yard stick and this move made sense for Haas. The joke is that he wasn’t talented enough for Indy Car so he was available.

I do hope Mick rises to the occasion.

F1doc
F1doc

LHamilton wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 21:05
Little bit suprised that it ended up with Magnussen in HAAS again since he has said himself that the only condition he would return to F1 was capable of winning races. Will HAAS be that strong? I doubt it. So I do wonder what has changed.
Money maybe?

Wouter

First picture of the 2022 drivers.

The Power of Dreams!