New member - Bought an RA107

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
F1snake

Re: New member - Bought an RA107

Hi Ringo,

I've been on the Holeshot site and seen the impressive work they do there. They are really great at what they do, but you have to pay for it. If you go directly to John Hartley you might get a better deal on those engines! As for turbo's, never liked them much on a circuit car and the 3.0 Ltr 500BHP N/A H1V8 is more than enough power to start with. Also you avoid heat issues by staying N/A, plus there's hardly any space for the exhaust under the cowl, let alone with turbo's. But who knows what the future holds, I might like to have the 700BHP at some point!

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your efforts on the drawings. Yes, please, I'd love some accurate drawings, as you say, very useful indeed for both Hartley and Hewland. I'm certainly happy to crawl around with a tape measure, but maybe you could let me know what you need there. If you are anywhere near Bath, you would be more than welcome to come and inspect the car for yourself! Thanks again for your kind offer.

Tim.Wright

There are quite a few measurements needed to get started. Namely the gearbox and motor interfaces, but i will update the ppt file with a list. I am in Oxford, so I think a weekend trip at some point could occur!

When exactly are you due to meet with Hewland and Hartley? I'm flying out to Italy for work next week but can still provide drawings from there. However though my time is a bit more limited when Im away.

One further question, It appears as though the gearbox input shaft is set back (rearwards) from the bolting face. Does that mean we could move the engine back so the flywheel/clutch sits inside the gearbox housing? For this, a small multiplate clutch will definately be the first replacement part on the Engine.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

netoperek
netoperek

About the engine problem. Have You considered Wankel engine? these are relatively small and as smooth as engine can be and reving high. For instance Mazda's R26B. Engine won LeMans http://www.rotaryeng.net/Mazda_R26B_US.pdf , so i guess there is some potential in rotary engines ;)

You should probably find an engine which could be mounted (dimenstions-wise) to Your Honda's original gearbox. It isnt hard to find rotary engine reving above 10k rpm either, so maybe You could live with original gear lenghts ;]

Funny part is, linking few engines for more power output (if You'll have some space left, that is ;) ) is possible and supposedly doable by DIY mechanic, with only few parts custom made ;)
That's always an option i guess?

F1snake

Hi Tim,

I think our meeting is towards the end of February, and we havent even scheduled a meeting with Hartley yet. Actally, we might not need to meet with Hartley, likely we can sort thing out by phone/mail. Currently the input shaft is well set back from the bolting plate, but as we likely have to do something else in there, it might not remain so.

Hi netoperek,

Thanks for the info on the Wankel. Very interesting reading, as I know very little about these engines. We did look at the Wankel possibility, but didn't think it was for us. I think we have now concluded that the Hartley H1 is the way to go. It is a fairly high revving and small V8, which seems more in keeping with this car.

slipstream
slipstream

Currently doing a winter rebuild on a GP2/05 with Mecachrome powertrain, so have taken a few pictures so you can see what this contemporary formula spec series layout actually looks like. F1snake...you got your work cut out!!

http://www.breezemountmotorsport.com

http://www.breezemountmotorsport.com

F1snake

Thanks for the pics, Slipstream. Very interesting shots. You are quite right, I have got my work cut out, but thanks to members of this forum, I feel quite confident about it all.

Here's the first addition to the livery!

ackzsel

F1snake wrote:Here's the first addition to the livery!
That's awesome! Where are you going to put them? Front wing end plates?

thisisatest
thisisatest

http://www.djracecars.com/current-proje ... opment.asp

I tried to reread the posts, to make sure this wasnt mentiuoned yet, and I have no idea what they are charging for these.

but 2.65 or 3.2l NA v8, 15k rpm, over 500hp sounds nice

Formula None
Formula None

F1snake wrote:Thanks for the pics, Slipstream. Very interesting shots. You are quite right, I have got my work cut out, but thanks to members of this forum, I feel quite confident about it all.

Here's the first addition to the livery!
:lol: Great stuff, Snake. Now, in your spare time maybe you can make decals of everyone's username in the thread as well. :wink:

mep

There was this Honda car where you could put your names on.
I thought its maybe the one you got but it seems not.
My name was on one of the car's on 2 spots
I wonder how tomba will react when you put the forums name on the car.
Very nice idea btw.

Napier
Napier

Where did you get those cool f1 technical decals? Car is awesome congratulations.

F1snake

Here's where you can get the F1tecnical decals: http://www.racegraphics.net/ , but perhaps just clear the use of the logo with Steven, webmaster@f1technical.net, as I did prior to ordering. Not sure where on the car the F1tech decals are going yet, but it will be a prominent position.

Cool idea to put everyone's username on the car, but the time and effort involved in doing that is slightly of-putting. As far as I remember there's over 9000 members of this forum!

thisisatest,

Thanks very much for the link. I've been in touch with DJ and had a look at their engines. They are nice and tempting engines that can do 500 miles between rebuilds, revs to 15K and produces close to 600hp. They are rebuilt Champcar engines, converted to N/A and petrol. Price is about the same as the Hartley. The Hartley will be easier to live with, though, and is still our favorite so far.

wrcsti
wrcsti

F1snake wrote:Here's where you can get the F1tecnical decals: http://www.racegraphics.net/ , but perhaps just clear the use of the logo with Steven, webmaster@f1technical.net, as I did prior to ordering. Not sure where on the car the F1tech decals are going yet, but it will be a prominent position.

Cool idea to put everyone's username on the car, but the time and effort involved in doing that is slightly of-putting. As far as I remember there's over 9000 members of this forum!

thisisatest,

Thanks very much for the link. I've been in touch with DJ and had a look at their engines. They are nice and tempting engines that can do 500 miles between rebuilds, revs to 15K and produces close to 600hp. They are rebuilt Champcar engines, converted to N/A and petrol. Price is about the same as the Hartley. The Hartley will be easier to live with, though, and is still our favorite so far.
Personally I see this 500 miles between rebuilds as a turn off. I would recomend you reconsider a lower revving higher L engine, maybe some force induction. m sure an LS3 with a top mount supercharger would fit in nicely and give you those 700bhp youre looking for. A peripheral port 26b wankel in N/A can get the 500hp easily with very conservative tuning, and it already sounds like an F1 car.

BTW Congras on the purchase, if I had the money Id buy it and place it as a statue in my yard until I had the engine and tranny ready to be mounted.

agf1
agf1

Hello I'm new at the forum(as a registered user) but I was following your thread right from the beginning. Congratulations for getting the RA107! I'm really amazed.
Now as for finding the appropriate engine it will for sure be a difficult part.
Things in the car are sooo tight with the original engine and that means that the new engine will have to be very similar with the original Honda engine.

ralt12
ralt12

wrcsti wrote: snip...
Personally I see this 500 miles between rebuilds as a turn off. I would recomend you reconsider a lower revving higher L engine, maybe some force induction. m sure an LS3 with a top mount supercharger would fit in nicely and give you those 700bhp youre looking for.
snip...
LS-series of engines are WAYY too big to fit.