2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

I am not totally convinced by qualy, for sure top 10 but people saying P7/8 could have been more are kidding themselves.

Drying track with the two most experienced drivers meant P7/8. Take away the conditions and P10/11 I think more reflective.

Like Button said, everyone in front will just drive away and it's about defending to get points.

GoranF1
GoranF1

About 0.5 per lap slower than Vettel was Alonso and clearly faster tan TR,Williams and FI.
If he didnt have track limit warring i think he woudnt get laped.

Honda we are waiting! :D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

adrianjordan

From the C4F1 website:

JB: "I thought my team would be a lot friendlier towards me. We had a safety issue. The sport is good in so many ways but common sense should prevail and we shouldn't get a penalty for stopping an incident."

Suzie picked up on his comment about the team not being friendly towards him....wonder what he meant??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

trinidefender
trinidefender

Can somebody cut one of Charlie Whitings car brake lines and tel him that it isn't a safety issue?

I'm not usually against a lot of his judgement calls but this one was just stupid

a1b2i3r45

My understandings of the situation is this, Button was not penalized for being informed of the hydraulic issue; he was penalized because the team instructed him not to shift. Although it may seem silly but I understand FIA's standpoint on this. The rule may borne out of the need to stop real time driving coaching (esp. at Merc) but now they seem to push it further to give drivers a tad more choice/freedom which in theory might improve the show (not the racing).

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:Can somebody cut one of Charlie Whitings car brake lines and tel him that it isn't a safety issue?

I'm not usually against a lot of his judgement calls but this one was just stupid
I think they don't consider it a safety issue after the initial occurence of it. Once he's aware of it, he's in the "managing it" stage. If he isn't pulling over it isn't dangerous.

I don't agree with the rule but I do agree with the zero tollerance. It makes stewart jobs more difficult when you give them rules that require judgement. McLaren should have just said "Box Box Box".

Alonso Fan

adrianjordan wrote:From the C4F1 website:

JB: "I thought my team would be a lot friendlier towards me. We had a safety issue. The sport is good in so many ways but common sense should prevail and we shouldn't get a penalty for stopping an incident."

Suzie picked up on his comment about the team not being friendly towards him....wonder what he meant??

It's possible he asked a whole lot more questions which weren't broadcast, and the team probably told him that they can't answer
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

Personally i think it was harsh given that he was already dropping positions due to the fault itself
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

cooken
cooken

It is really just embarrassing, that the FIA continues to dole out penalties with almost no consistency or clarity, and certainly no perspective.

Who gives a F about driver coaching in a dangerous situation where any number of things could be going on with the car. All Jenson can do is feel the brake pedal and flip through a couple of pages on his wheel. He can only guess at what the actual issue is vs his engineers who have a wealth of data to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. How is he supposed to know what to do exactly, in order to maintain the car in a safe condition? Did his team coaching him really benefit him in any way, HE WAS ALREADY DROPPED TO LAST PLACE CHARLIE.

loner

what is this that JB wearing under his overall ?!!
https://twitter.com/es_Motorsport/statu ... 3707776002
para bellum.

adrianjordan

Am I right to think that a possible consequence of hydraulic failure could be the rear wheels locking up....which would be dangerous?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Steven
Owner

loner wrote:what is this that JB wearing under his overall ?!!
Drivers only wear it while walking around / on the grid. Not under their overalls.
It's a cooling vest, seen with many teams and drivers these days.

loner

Steven wrote:
loner wrote:what is this that JB wearing under his overall ?!!
Drivers only wear it while walking around / on the grid. Not under their overalls.
It's a cooling vest, seen with many teams and drivers these days.
thnx
para bellum.

diffuser

cooken wrote:It is really just embarrassing, that the FIA continues to dole out penalties with almost no consistency or clarity, and certainly no perspective.

Who gives a F about driver coaching in a dangerous situation where any number of things could be going on with the car. All Jenson can do is feel the brake pedal and flip through a couple of pages on his wheel. He can only guess at what the actual issue is vs his engineers who have a wealth of data to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. How is he supposed to know what to do exactly, in order to maintain the car in a safe condition? Did his team coaching him really benefit him in any way, HE WAS ALREADY DROPPED TO LAST PLACE CHARLIE.

Ironically, if you want consitancy, it doesn't matter if the driver is in 1st place or 3 laps down a penalty is a penalty.

Don't mix up "not liking the rule" with consitancy. They are being rather consistant about it. I agree they we're NOT really clear that they were penalizing the "stop shifting coment".

Alonso Fan

Well maybe they're not being consistent. Rosberg received a similar message but only got a 10 second penalty. Why give button a drive through?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord