2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

The Prodigy wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 15:56
SchuMassa wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 15:48
P12-P13, after sending Fernando out in traffic.
Traffic was a problem but he also made a mistake. But Alonso was definitely much faster then Ocon and he should be top ten.
He made a mistake due to distraction from Perez in front of him.

diffuser

The Prodigy wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:
Traffic was a problem but he also made a mistake. But Alonso was definitely much faster then Ocon and he should be top ten.
Perez forced Alonso to the inside and then his line into that corner wasn't what he wanted. He ended up with oversteer in the corner. I think Alonso would have preffered the outside line.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

diffuser wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 16:18
The Prodigy wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:
Perez forced Alonso to the inside and then his line into that corner wasn't what he wanted. He ended up with oversteer in the corner. I think Alonso would have preffered the outside line.
After rewatching the lap I would say you are probably right with that analysis.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

RedNEO wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 09:55
EXCLUSIVE: Piastri on joining McLaren, leaving Alpine and making his F1 debut
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... KkVy7.html
“The CRB ruling has confirmed I didn’t have a contract for the 2023 season [with Alpine],” he said. “I was free to choose my destiny – and I felt McLaren was a great opportunity. They were very straightforward and very keen and enthusiastic to have me. To be completely honest, there was a lack of clarity around my future at the team at Alpine.

“They publicly stated they wished to continue with Fernando for at least one or two more years. I respect that. But after spending the year out, my hopes were firmly set on an Alpine seat and the lack of clarity and, similarly to Fernando, a bit of a strange feeling in negotiations, it didn’t feel like it was the right decision for me [to stay around].

“The lack of clarity around my future, and ultimately a breakdown in trust, I felt the very attractive offer of McLaren and the positive dealings with them thus far were all reasons why I felt McLaren was where I was best off for the future.”
Piastri on… the simulator story and that tweet

Alpine were surprised when Alonso told them he was leaving for Aston Martin in 2023, but moved swiftly to announce Piastri would drive for them. However, the press release intriguingly didn’t feature a quote from Piastri...

It has since emerged that prior to that announcement, Piastri and his management team had told Alpine on two previous occasions that he would not be driving for them next year, which is why Piastri was so disappointed with the way it was handled.

“My decision was made well in advance [of Alonso’s departure], which made Alpine’s announcement probably even more confusing and upsetting because we had told the team that I wasn’t going to continue,” he said. “It was quite upsetting as the announcement was false and it also denied me the opportunity to properly say goodbye to everyone at Enstone.

“I had been with team for a bit over two and a half years now, and for the rest of the team to find out I was leaving in that manner was very upsetting. I still haven’t had the opportunity to say goodbye and it’s something I want to do to show my gratitude to all the men and women at Enstone.”

Sfaznauer has previously said he went to speak to Piastri while he was in the simulator to tell him the announcement was being made. He said Piastri “smiled and was thankful”.
When asked to recall his memory of the meeting, Piastri said: “That was a bizarre and frankly upsetting episode. It was done publicly in front of some members of the team who were oblivious to the situation and I didn’t want to cause a scene in front of them. Once we were in private, I told Otmar what our position was and what he had been told multiple times before that. It was very surprising to me to make that announcement.”

Soon after the release went out, Piastri responded on Twitter. "I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

It was an unequivocal statement of his position.

Piastri explained he felt he had to respond because the release “was false”.

He added: “It was the biggest moment of my career and probably my life up to now. To have that falsely announced was something my management and I felt we had to correct and there was also potential legal implications if we didn’t deny the announcement. It was not intended to be pointed or in any way anything more than factual. The last line was quite a strong one, but with the CRB ruling, it shows it was purely a fact.”
After this it’s clear who has no integrity.. Rossi and Otmar!
After all the threats of legal action from Otmar… Piastri should start legal proceedings against Otmar / Alpine for Libel, defamation and character assassination!

What a joke Otmar can be, knowing all this an still playing victim in the media and trying to damage a young kids career… Shameless… Alpine deserves better than the guys leading the team right now.

Mansell89
Mansell89

I’m staggered to see Ottmar still being salty despite Alpine closing the book on the matter and saying they accept the decision.

He hasn’t endeared himself to anyone since he moved there. He’s obsessed about fighting his old partners Aston Martin and now obsessed with a driver who quite rightly took an opportunity to race in f1 with a very good team.

I just don’t think he is the right man. Imagine this guy overseeing the Gasly v Ocon relationship.

Good Lord.

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

What’s this love for hards(tyres)?
Last edited by Michelangelo on 05 Sep 2022, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Michelangelo wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 15:25
What’s this love for hards?
Maybe they can go for a one stop strategy. But it’s gonna be very tough the last 10 laps.

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

A late stop for softs maybe. Both had fresh ones.

Chanman141
Chanman141

Great drive for Alonso p13 -> p6 (thanks again Ferrari!) , Alpine's risky strategies with the early hard and softs worked out really well. Solid by Ocon too

max_speed
max_speed

Beast mode Alonso, Alpine did good on strategy today. Boy o Boy , ottmar has caused a big damage to alpine by loosing Alonso. Aston is improving and aston is Alonso had will be few tenths better than current.

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

Hards were better than expected. I was just afraid about another Hungary. Solid drives and strategy today with another gift from Ferrari.

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:46
Beast mode Alonso, Alpine did good on strategy today. Boy o Boy , ottmar has caused a big damage to alpine by loosing Alonso. Aston is improving and aston is Alonso had will be few tenths better than current.
For the record, Alonso said that Otmar wasn't involved in his negotiations for a new contract. Rossi and others were.

RedNEO

max_speed wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:46
Alonso put the pidgeons to bed today! What a drive by our two time champion!

Bisonas

The last stint on Softs wasn't easy for Alonso considering the fact he locked and probably slightly flat spotted the front right early on the stint, when the yellows turned to full safety car before turn1. He did a 25 lap stint on those Softs, managing to keep Norris behind who stopped to take used, but much fresher Softs giving track position to Alonso. Alonso didn't stop and had 7 laps older softs, compared to Norris and ocon behind him.
The DRS of Perez in the last laps helped, defending the final push from Norris but overall it was a Great Drive from Alonso. A job well done.

diffuser

Bisonas wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 11:01
The last stint on Softs wasn't easy for Alonso considering the fact he locked and probably slightly flat spotted the front right early on the stint, when the yellows turned to full safety car before turn1. He did a 25 lap stint on those Softs, managing to keep Norris behind who stopped to take used, but much fresher Softs giving track position to Alonso. Alonso didn't stop and had 7 laps older softs, compared to Norris and ocon behind him.
The DRS of Perez in the last laps helped, defending the final push from Norris but overall it was a Great Drive from Alonso. A job well done.
Benefit to screwing up in Q2 is you have have an extra set of brand new softs. Alonso had that edge on Norris in the last stint. Alonso's car was better balance to the track, he was getting far less wear per lap than Norris.

Alpine asked Alonso to pit for new tires when Norris did to put on a 3ird set of softs, and Alonso said he didn't need them.