Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hemichromis
hemichromis

Re: Honda Power Unit

So a smaller motor could be used and operated at a speed where it is still reliable?

Is this the standard arrangment in all power units?

Thanks

PlatinumZealot

Pretty much, yes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

damager21
damager21

Honda is searching for ERS engineer and technician. Looks like they are ramping up their team working on this hybrid system. Wondering if its a bit late in the day to scale up their team.

http://www.racestaff...ngineer-116.htm
http://www.racestaff...hnician-115.htm

Joseki
Joseki

damager21 wrote:Honda is searching for ERS engineer and technician. Looks like they are ramping up their team working on this hybrid system. Wondering if its a bit late in the day to scale up their team.

http://www.racestaff...ngineer-116.htm
http://www.racestaff...hnician-115.htm
I've seen those links a few months ago, probably in August, so I think they already have some new people on board for the 2016 hybrid system.

http://f1news.autoroad.cz/novinky/74891 ... dsouhlasen

Arai-san said they have decided with McLaren the way to go with the concept for next year.

Chuckjr

livinglikethathuh wrote:If McLaren does not build a killer chassis sculpted with the hands of Athena, this means no podium for McHonda for another year.
Yes, Athena is now known as Prodromou. :wink:
Watching F1 since 1986.

FW17

Honda hiring more consultants

Guess the Milton Keynes office has changed from race support to R&D

livinglikethathuh
livinglikethathuh

Chuckjr wrote:
livinglikethathuh wrote:If McLaren does not build a killer chassis sculpted with the hands of Athena, this means no podium for McHonda for another year.
Yes, Athena is now known as Prodromou. :wink:
He better be.

lio007

Some quite good pics of the Honda PU: http://en.f1i.com/magazine/29541-exclus ... -unit.html

trinidefender
trinidefender

One thing I have noticed between the Honda and the Merc is the way the blocks are built. It looks like the Honda block is a casting or forged. The Mercedes block almost looks to be billet. Even if it isn't billet it surely has a lot of machine work done to the outside that is clearly evident, if it is billet then I have no idea how they would manage to make it that complex on the inside.

godlameroso

trinidefender wrote:One thing I have noticed between the Honda and the Merc is the way the blocks are built. It looks like the Honda block is a casting or forged. The Mercedes block almost looks to be billet. Even if it isn't billet it surely has a lot of machine work done to the outside that is clearly evident, if it is billet then I have no idea how they would manage to make it that complex on the inside.
Every single reciprocating piston engine I've ever seen is cast.
Saishū kōnā

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

godlameroso wrote:
trinidefender wrote:One thing I have noticed between the Honda and the Merc is the way the blocks are built. It looks like the Honda block is a casting or forged. The Mercedes block almost looks to be billet. Even if it isn't billet it surely has a lot of machine work done to the outside that is clearly evident, if it is billet then I have no idea how they would manage to make it that complex on the inside.
Yes, non-cast blocks are well known in motorsports but like you I've not seen it in F1 on the track.

That's a machined-from-solid timing cover in image "MERCEDES (2014)" not the block I believe, which I'd expect to be cast
Last edited by Brian Coat on 24 Nov 2015, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Pierce89

godlameroso wrote:
The current Ford WRC block is machined from a single billet.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dren

The Honda ES package with controls along with the MGUK look to be the smallest of the three. Haven't seen Ferrari's.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Forged engine block? Sure about that one? haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Vortex37
Vortex37

A very quick bit of manipulation of Lieo's pic, is revealing. Is that a ceramic blade? Or is this a picture from a broken unit? The angle looks very strange. Twin turbine linked to a common shaft?