Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

If you thought that the bottom of the s**t aerodynamic solutions barrel has been scratched I present to you....

The 1969 Cosworth F1 car a.k.a. Cosworth's failed attempt to enter the competition with their own Formula 1 car.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wesley123
wesley123

Grid S2, one of the earlier Group C cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

olefud
olefud

nacho wrote:It doesn't make sense for providing grip in corners unless the wings are active and stay perpendicular to ground.
The earliest car aero –not including the road Chrysler- was a vertical wing mounted on the left side of an Indy roadster. The ‘lift’ was vectored into centripetal force. Sorry, can’t find a picture, or even a mention anywhere.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

stefan_ wrote:If you thought that the bottom of the s**t aerodynamic solutions barrel has been scratched I present to you....

The 1969 Cosworth F1 car a.k.a. Cosworth's failed attempt to enter the competition with their own Formula 1 car.
In fairness to Cosworth, their car wasn't an attempt to use aerodynamics to improve pace, it was an attempt to give traction out of corners - something that cars of the time didn't excel at, hence the 4 wheel drift. If wings hadn't arrived in F1 for a few more years, the 4WD Cosworth might have been developed in to something worthwhile. As it was, aero downforce gave grip without weight and so cut the ground from under the Cosworth car with it's heavy, complicated drivetrain.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

xpensive
xpensive

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

xpensive
xpensive

Don't know if we had a Sprint car on this thread before, but this Bud's for you!

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

gavingav1
gavingav1

couple of real lookers

SectorOne

Not really bizarre but Somerfield retweeted it and i found it interesting,

Why the holes on either side?
And why the dip in the diffuser on the sides?
It sort of curves up like you would expect but then drops down to wheel rim height for some reason.
Is it regulation as to why they haven´t run full AoA on the whole width or something else?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

wesley123
wesley123

The holes on either side are for the exhaust.

Also, those edges were there because of the rear wheels influence. For example, the Jordan 191 only had two large tunnels

SectorOne

thanks, sick image btw, that is one badass diffuser.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_
stefan_

Talking about badass diffusers....

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

FW17

This is a pic of a Red Bull show car used in 2009.

Did the piece between the diffuser and beam wing exist up till 2008? I kind of do not remember it being there. This kind of looks like a Jaguar Group C from 1993.

Carmack

That, I belive is a pre-2009 diffuser, with the central 150mm zone on the centerline, that was regulated differently. I don't know the regulations, but all the teams had sort of extended diffuser tunnels.
If it's on a '09 RBR body, then It's another of those mix show cars.

wesley123
wesley123

One of the most awkward looking open wheeler ever, the Swift FN09

mep

The “piece” there is actually the suspension. It’s a big shroud covering the Tlink, drive shaft and rearward leg of the front lower wishbone. Until 2013 it was common practice to have such covers but the rules changed then to make it much more difficult. It might be that Redbull is the only team which still found a solution by making the covers structural. For the other teams they are just flimsy covers over the actual wishbones.