Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Starscreamer wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Massa back to work (for Williams) :)

https://twitter.com/f1enigma/status/809312545299464192

Why not :D
Bottas to Mercedes
Massa to Williams
Williams +15 million for Bottas - 5 million for Massa
Wehrlein to Manor

Win win win situation =D>
It will cost Mercedes an arm and a leg !!! ($15 million is peanuts)

zac510
zac510

I would suggest Massa for pre-season testing only (to keep some of the continuity that Pat Symonds wants) but then the two new drivers would really need the seat time and there's not much to go around.

FrukostScones

the brazilain market solves Merc problem

Nasr,
I meant nice one, Bernie.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Shakeman

I don't like the fact Williams are getting shat on. I sincerely hope Merc are paying an arm and two legs for this liberty. I'm sure Bottas sees it differently and is a cracking move for him.

FrukostScones

Ben Hunt ‏@benjhunt 2m2 minutes ago

Confirmed from @MercedesAMGF1 that they will not announce Nico Rosberg's replacement until Jan 3rd.
So Williams is fighting tooth and nail 8)

I mean contracts getting dissolved and new one made take some time.

BOT announcenet in January! Yeah! (a bit sad for Wehrlein though :cry: )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Vasconia

FrukostScones wrote:
Ben Hunt ‏@benjhunt 2m2 minutes ago

Confirmed from @MercedesAMGF1 that they will not announce Nico Rosberg's replacement until Jan 3rd.
So Williams is fighting tooth and nail 8)

I mean contracts getting dissolved and new one made take some time.

BOT announcenet in January! Yeah! (a bit sad for Wehrlein though :cry: )
It must be tremendously fustrating for Pascal to see that "your" team prefers to pay 15m before hiring you.

namao
namao

"Wolff is also said to have made tentative approaches to Red Bull concerning the availability of Spaniard Carlos Sainz, who is contracted to race for the drinks company's junior team Toro Rosso for a third year in 2017." - Andrew Benson (BBC)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38326664

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams admits it may allow Mercedes to sign Bottas

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/willi ... as-859640/

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Williams is talking out of their *** when they claim they won't let Valterri go. For the right price, adios. He's gone in 2018 either way, so why cling on?
Yes, hiring that trashcan Canadian driver will put them in a hard place regarding 'information' but then, big money, and again, they did it with Maldonado too.
Funny enough, Maldonado is the last driver to see williams have a win for crying out loud.
Also, Nasr could bring a good moneybag in the form of BdB. Or, they can re-hire Massa or........come back from their BS and hire Jenson (not seeing that tho).

I'm not getting really excited for seeing Bottas at Merc, BUT then again, i do, as I am curious to see what he'd do. I think he's one of the greyest drivers on the grid today
but then again, who wouldn't at Williams.

Sainz is not happening. well, that is logic speaking but logic never saw Nico's resignation coming nor would it concider another driver than Alonso.
And; i am curious to see a Verstappen in RB versus Sainz in Mercedes battles. That would be absolute war.
AND also to see how Sainz would fare against Lewis.

I would vote a thousand times Sainz over Wehrlein any day of the week though. Also Bottas over Wehrlein.
Bottas vs Sainz however, would be an interesting feat.

Also, if Bottas goes to Mercedes, than 100% guaranteed Sainz @ Renault in 2018.

Ah and to spice more;

how about Kvyat @ Williams in 2017, and Gasly @ Toro Rosso? And no Wehrlein next year?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Valtteri Bottas: Williams open to letting Finn join Mercedes

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38335169

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

They are doing a good job of driving Vettel's price down. He must be willing to drive for free at this point.
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

djos

zac510 wrote:
djos wrote:So apparently Paddy Lowe is off to Williams for 2017 .... I wonder if a Bottas trade is to facilitate this move perhaps?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... ch-858449/
I know you didn't write the article but why on Earth would Lowe go there? I can only think to replace Frank Williams entirely. Otherwise there's almost no position higher in an F1 team than the one he's in now.
Unless it's just some media beatup on Mercedes.
TBH I dont see Williams letting Botas go when they have a n00b in the other seat, doesn't make sense.
"In downforce we trust"

GPR-A duplicate2

Williams admits it may allow Mercedes to sign Bottas
Claire Williams has confirmed under-contract driver Valtteri Bottas could be allowed to join Mercedes, provided his current team's 2017 campaign isn't compromised as a result.
"If we did allow Valtteri to leave, we would only do this if an experienced, credible alternative was available, such as someone like Felipe Massa, for example," Williams was quoted as saying the same day as a report in France's L'Equipe suggested her team was indeed in talks with the Brazilian over a 2017 return.
I have a feeling that, they are trying to get Button. I remember Button having said, he rushed into the decision of retiring, so he might just be back in Williams.

FW17

Valtteri Bottas Heikki Kovalainen, is there a difference?

If VB does move I hope Williams goes for a driver from another series. Scott Dixon, Will Power, Graham Rahal, Sébastien Buemi, Brendon Hartley, André Lotterer etc.

SR71

FW17 wrote:Valtteri Bottas Heikki Kovalainen, is there a difference?

If VB does move I hope Williams goes for a driver from another series. Scott Dixon, Will Power, Graham Rahal, Sébastien Buemi, Brendon Hartley, André Lotterer etc.
Konalainen managed to help his team lose the WCC with the fastest car on the grid....

Not even Webber was that bad.

If bottas joins merc we could again have another Finn lose the WCC in a spaceship.