COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

LM10 wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 00:05
I expect the teams to be intelligent enough to know how to not get infected. Team staff will be tested anyway and after that all they need to do is to stay away or stay in a safe distance from other people. It really isn’t that hard and the season surely shouldn’t be cancelled just because of “what if someone gets positive at any time in the future”.
Not only that, I expect teams to be able to organise and mandate rigorous, regular and proactive testing of all staff.

LM10
LM10

Four weeks time from now on and we'll have our first qualifying standings. I can't wait. =D>
Usual winter break is hard for most of us, but this time we'll have waited for more than 2 winter breaks combined. That's crazy.

strad

The Lancet and NEJM report on hydroxychloroquine was based on lies.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06 ... -questions
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 20:54
The Lancet and NEJM report on hydroxychloroquine was based on lies.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06 ... -questions
Glad that it's not actively dangerous, back to ineffective (in this presentation) it is then https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... tured_home

More trials evidently needed.

Fwiw I track this continually updated thread for the current summary of research

strad

Well if you have read their retraction you know that Surgisphere, the company they relied on was a total farce.
A pole dancer? Really? They obviously didn't do due diligence.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 21:41
Well if you have read their retraction you know that Surgisphere, the company they relied on was a total farce.
I don't understand the pole dancer reference, the NEJM link I posted was a different study, one of the many in the linked thread.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 22:46
adrianjordan wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 20:25
Big Tea wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 13:19

As long as they all travel together, as in not mixing with those not of the group, is it not the same as a family self isolating? Once they have been together for 7 days, as long as none intermix with 'outsiders' the group should be free of the virus.

Yes, I know it would need to include handlers etc, but if it becomes a full time 'gang' is there a real problem?
14 days, not 7. The isolation period for asymptomatic people is 14 days.

We're seeing a number of people who are only isolating and it is one of the many things that is making a second wave in England highly likely.
If none have symptoms is it not 7? They would be considered the same as a family then, no? if someone in the group did have symptoms it would be
Under new UK rules anyone who has been in "close contact" - that is within 2m for more than 10 minutes without suitable PPE - with a confirmed case is required by law to self-isolate for 14 days unless they develop symptoms. If they develop symptoms then they must self-isolate for 7 days from the start of symptoms or until they have been symptom free for 48 hours, whichever is later.

If someone in a household tests positive the whole household is required to isolate for 14 days.

If someone to whom the above applies has a swab test that comes back negative, they must complete their 14 day isolation and remain symptom free for the full 14 days.

This may well differ in other countries, but that is the latest rules in the UK now that we have track and trace in place.

The incubation period is up to 14 days before symptoms appear, but the person can be infectious within that period.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

basti313 wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 10:30
The interesting point now will be the car preparations. I guess they can work around certain people being sick now or when it comes to race weekends, but if they get an outbreak 3-4 weeks before a race and the factory goes into quarantine...they are screwed.
These are what we use at work when we're dealing with confirmed cases, along with disposable coveralls:

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-u ... 173&rt=rud

They're remarkably comfortable to wear (I actually prefer it to a surgical or FFP3 mask as it doesn't restrict breathing - these are preferable for asthmatics for example for that reason) and the teams could have mechanics wear something like these when they are unable to avoid groups of people working on the car simultaneously. If they went with something like this, rather than simple face masks, then they could mitigate the risks if one team member tests positive. There remains a question mark over exactly how effective surgical masks are.

Obviously in pit stops they have helmets anyway, so they are an effective face covering.

Of course if the whole team is isolated from the outside world in the F1 "bubble" as Ross B is suggesting, then there is less of a need to isolate anyway. That said, I would imagine actually team staff would prefer not to contract the virus. Take it from me, it's not pleasant even if you're a fit and healthy individual..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

nzjrs wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 22:07
strad wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 21:41
I don't understand the pole dancer reference, the NEJM link I posted was a different study, one of the many in the linked thread.
Pole dancer = stripper.

strad

Surgisphere had no real scientists no immunologists only about 7-9 employees one of which was a pole dancer.
And they convinced Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine both usually respected publications,they had a study of Hydroxychloroquine that showed that it affected heart function and other lies. The whole report was bogus and the media swallowed it hook line and sinker.
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

A proper trial has showed that hydroxychloroquine doesn't work for COVID-19. This is a "gold standard" fully randomised trial, not just a look at some data from some second or third hand source.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ial-chiefs
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

The study you're are touting was conducted by people who had a vested interest in Redestivir and there fore wanted to talk hydroxychloroquine down. The head author had a $247,000 grant from Gilead the manufacturer of Redesivir. Gilead stands to make a fortune off of Redesivir where as no one stands to make big bucks off hydroxychloroquine. There was a huge conflict of interest. How do you explain all the studies that showed hydroxychloroquine worked when taken early on in the progression of Covid? Or the thousands of Dr.s and workers who take it as a prophylactic or the many many Lupus and arthritis and malaria patients with NO harmful side effects? I'm not here to tout hydroxychloroquine but there is far more information on the plus side than on the negative side. Everyone is entitled to their opinion however
I'm beginning to wonder why you are so dead set on running hydroxychloroquine down.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I forgot to mention that the reason they dropped the testing of hydroxychloroquine in that study was because all the negative media BS made it so they couldn't get enough people willing to take hydroxychloroquine. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

Again, a weird hill to die on. Did you read the collection of all studies showing minimal to no efficacy linked in the Twitter thread?

I'm happy the result showing H was dangerous was false.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

nzjrs wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 20:28
I'm happy the result showing H was dangerous was false.
I'm not happy our BBC takes £153 from my bank account every year .....
and tells us that the antimalarial we've taken many times .... gives us heart attacks

that's bloody Chris Morris and his so-called 'fact checkers'
(whose 'facts' lie to us, saying that UK exports transhipped via EU ports to customers outside the EU are UK exports to the EU)