Porsche back in Le Mans!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
neilbah
neilbah

Re: Porsche back in Le Mans!

a generator blade? isnt that technology used in turbojet engines anyway?, but just without the common shaft. theres another turbine being rotated by the pressure in the exhaust system, like the opposite of a turbozet and hopefully more useful. :)

djos

aleks_ader wrote:That dual turbo system could also easily act as a variable turbine? Lemans rules forbid variable turbines?
I thought variable geometry turbo's where allowed in the WEC?
"In downforce we trust"

langwadt
langwadt

djos wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:That dual turbo system could also easily act as a variable turbine? Lemans rules forbid variable turbines?
I thought variable geometry turbo's where allowed in the WEC?
Variable Geometry Systems:
With the exception of devices needed for control of pressure
charging systems and/or exhaust turbine geometry, variable
geometry exhaust systems are not permitted.

Variable valve timing and variabl e valve lift profile systems
are not permitted.
Variable intake manifold and trumpets are allowed.

-Felix-
-Felix-

Maybe the second turbine can nevertheless help reduce the throttle lag. The bigger the difference in pressure before and after the first turbine, the faster it spools up. Of course, having the e-motor directly on the first turbine gives the biggest advantage, but by spooling up the second turbine with the e-motor, it drops the pressure before the second turbine, hence after the first. So there is a gain in delta p of the first turbine, resulting in a faster spool up and less lag.
I have no idea what the strategy of Porsche is, it's just an idea of mine.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Holm86 wrote: But this also means that they cant use the MGU-H to spool the turbo.
Would turbo lag be much of a problem with a much smaller VG turbo?

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

looks like they'll unveil the livery on Tuesday:
https://twitter.com/BrendonHartley/stat ... 0488953857

stefan_
stefan_

Here is the 2014 Porsche 919 Hybrid

Last edited by stefan_ on 04 Mar 2014, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

not sure what I think. seems a bit bland.

djos

Phwoar!!!
"In downforce we trust"

Roland Ehnström

I'm sorry, but that livery is horrendous, completely destroys whatever lines the car had.

Overall the car looks bulky, boxy even!

Disappointed. :(

Holm86

There is missing a top view photo. So the grey lines actually makes sense.

Roland Ehnström

[sarcasm]
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense to destroy the look of the car only to write three half words in huge letters that can only be seen when watching the car from directly above.

What is it trying to say "Porsche Intelligent Performance"? Perhaps it should rather read "Porsche Unintelligent Marketing".
[/sarcasm]

Sorry, I'm just so disappointed that when Porsche come back to LMP1 they come with a car looking like a brick painted by a 5-year-old. #-o

streamline
streamline

+1

With Martini supporting Williams in F1 I really was hoping for a Martini Racing 919 in Le Mans.
The Car itself just does not look very advanced from an aerodynamical point of view. The bodywork seems to be virtually the same as in june, when the car had its rollout. With several months of testing and additional development time one could think, that there will be some updates to the bodywork as the car comes closer to the first official test/race. Especially the Audi seems far more advanced.

DAMNINice

Yeah..

PORSC
INTELL
PERFC

makes total sense!! :roll:

I hope they where at least finishing the development of the car parts and systems.
I know, the new regs make the cars more "boxy" like Roland said, but nevertheless I thought I would see some more open space f.e. behind the front wheels.

they are feeding the intercooler and radiator through those channels, too. but they seem really small to me.
On other cars those channels (from inside the front wheels around the driver-monocoque) are much larger.

but let´s hope the car is quick and reliable.

Does somebody know how the exhaust energy recovery system will work?

hopefully they rethink the livery
REal men play with twins!

matt21

-Felix- wrote:Maybe the second turbine can nevertheless help reduce the throttle lag. The bigger the difference in pressure before and after the first turbine, the faster it spools up. Of course, having the e-motor directly on the first turbine gives the biggest advantage, but by spooling up the second turbine with the e-motor, it drops the pressure before the second turbine, hence after the first. So there is a gain in delta p of the first turbine, resulting in a faster spool up and less lag.
I have no idea what the strategy of Porsche is, it's just an idea of mine.
If you have a turbo-compunding system you can continously harvest power and also use the waste gate gases.

And the moment of inertia of the first turbo is smaller due to having not an generator coupled to it. And the lower the moment of inertia, the faster it spools up, mitigating lag.
Also, IMO you can better match it to the needs of the ICE if you don´t have to care about the mgu coupled to it directly. I assume you can use a smaller turbo, as you only have to run the gases through it you really need. And the smaller the turbo the smaller the moment of inertia.