Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SpecialCircumstances
SpecialCircumstances

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

Jef Patat wrote:
seinfeld wrote:No one talking about how they told Ricciardo. Default 13 maintain 2 second gap 1/3rd into a race for?
The fact that it happened doesn't surprise me, the fact that it happened so early in the race does.
Are you implying something?

Jon_S
Jon_S

Jef Patat wrote:
seinfeld wrote:No one talking about how they told Ricciardo. Default 13 maintain 2 second gap 1/3rd into a race for?
The fact that it happened doesn't surprise me, the fact that it happened so early in the race does.

It's not like Ricciardo was faster than Vettel or anything...
I mean, he was asked to drop to two seconds but at the end of that stint he was already 5.8 behind Seb. He couldn't even maintain the gap he was asked to.
Also, in case you forgot it, Vettel was asked to maintain the gap with Rosberg and look after his tyres too. Difference is, Vettel could still follow Rosberg, whereas Ricciardo was losing ground to them.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... 915&graf=3

Daniel closed the gap at the start of the second stint because he pitted first, but Vettel had already shown better pace up until that point and was pulling away again 0.3-0.4 per lap in that stint. Vettel was pushing to try an undercut to Rosberg in the second pit stop, and Daniel couldn't follow.

To let Daniel push harder when the gap was steadily increasing with Vettel, and Fernando was a threat behind him (already made the undercut in the first pit stop, but Daniel took his place back), would be stupid. He was going to need that fuel and those tyres later, as we clearly saw.
When Daniel started saving fuel in the third stint Fernando closed the gap very quickly and he almost lost his place to the Spaniard for the second time.
Then he had that pit stop problem, but it was already very close between him and Alonso because he overused his resources trying to follow Seb and Rosberg.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I can agree to all this, but why didn't they tell him to look after tires, fuel, ...
They asked something with a 2s gap when, if I recall correctly, he was closer than 2s at that moment. At the time of viewing I understood don't come closer than 2s. Maybe I misunderstood the intention of the wording and they did intend to maintain a gap, as in not letting the gap grow bigger than 2s. In that case I stand corrected.

SpecialCircumstances
SpecialCircumstances

Jef Patat wrote:I can agree to all this, but why didn't they tell him to look after tires, fuel, ...
They asked something with a 2s gap when, if I recall correctly, he was closer than 2s at that moment. At the time of viewing I understood don't come closer than 2s. Maybe I misunderstood the intention of the wording and they did intend to maintain a gap, as in not letting the gap grow bigger than 2s. In that case I stand corrected.
Telling him to keep a 2 second gap IS telling him to look after his tyres. 2 seconds is the standard gap to keep to stay out of the dirty air from the car infront which affects the car's handling, causing more tyre usage as well.

We have heard all the drivers over the last few years countless times being told to drop back and keep these gaps, this is nothing new. Ricciardo was much slower than Vettel anyway all weekend and that was plain obvious.

Jon_S
Jon_S

Jef Patat wrote:I can agree to all this, but why didn't they tell him to look after tires, fuel, ...
I thought it meant "don't come closer than 2s" too. That's the typical call we hear to prevent extra degradation (closer the aero is affected, therefore losing grip) or rising temps in the engine, etc...

They probably did not want him to attack Vettel at that moment. That's all we know so everyone can have his own opinion on why. It can be that number two team order order some people are whising for so they can criticize RBR and Vettel, or just trying to help him to protect his car in case Alonso came closer.
Point I was trying to make is, that order did not change anything because Vettel seemed out of reach all weekend long. You know, before the usual "Vettel needs team orders to beat Ricciardo" comment that'll pop up sooner or later :lol:

lio007

F1 explained...

FoxHound

JET set

Unc1eM0nty

haha, just read the same story on the BBC, he's have a good old bleat isn't he, I guess he just frustrated after spending the last few years honing and refining the car to make it the class of the field only to have to start again. Nothing stands still though, Pay Symonds view is a little more sensible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26895974

twoshots
twoshots

Oh, sucks to not be 1 second faster than everyone else. Man up and fix the problems Mr Newey, with the biggest budget in F1 there are no excuses. :roll:

Gridlock

Total will be happy...
Newey also had some interesting comments about the relative performance of 2014 power units: “I think when we talk about the power unit we talk about it by manufacturer. We should also include the fuel company of course. I think you’ll find within an engine, depending on what fuel it uses there can be very significant differences. That can also create differences.

“We certainly can see that in our own GPS analysis between our rivals that some appear to have significantly more power than others, even though they have the same engine.

Juzh

twoshots wrote:Oh, sucks to not be 1 second faster than everyone else. Man up and fix the problems Mr Newey, with the biggest budget in F1 there are no excuses. :roll:
What problems are there to fix? Newey's car has no problems. He's done his job, the car is class of the field in aero department. The problem is with the renault, which he has little influence on.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Juzh wrote:
twoshots wrote:Oh, sucks to not be 1 second faster than everyone else. Man up and fix the problems Mr Newey, with the biggest budget in F1 there are no excuses. :roll:
What problems are there to fix? Newey's car has no problems. He's done his job, the car is class of the field in aero department. The problem is with the renault, which he has little influence on.
The problem is with the integration of the Renault Power train within the RB10 and Renault's failure to develop
the power train to the standard required to compete with Mercedes. Who've designed their 2014 car and power train together, to get the best balance between Power Train Performance and the Aero side. Red Bull were caught napping on all fronts, it's time they stopped whining about fuel flow rates and the power trains, and got on with sorting out the various problems with the RB10 and help Renault to fix the problems with the power train. They are once again trying to get the rules changed to suit them through a PR campaign that also has the benefit of disguising their failures for 2014, this time I doubt the FIA is going to budge on the issue. Disparaging the sport because you are not winning is going to damage it and that will likely raise the FIA's ire over it's golden goose being attacked.

Juzh

taperoo2k wrote:
Juzh wrote:
The problem is with the integration of the Renault Power train within the RB10 and Renault's failure to develop
the power train to the standard required to compete with Mercedes. Who've designed their 2014 car and power train together, to get the best balance between Power Train Performance and the Aero side. Red Bull were caught napping on all fronts, it's time they stopped whining about fuel flow rates and the power trains, and got on with sorting out the various problems with the RB10 and help Renault to fix the problems with the power train. They are once again trying to get the rules changed to suit them through a PR campaign that also has the benefit of disguising their failures for 2014, this time I doubt the FIA is going to budge on the issue. Disparaging the sport because you are not winning is going to damage it and that will likely raise the FIA's ire over it's golden goose being attacked.
Thank you for your factually completely incorrect post.

Jano11
Jano11

taperoo2k wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Not sure what you are grasping at cause during the last 6 weeks Red Bull improved their car most of all teams.

FoxHound

I think what he is grasping at is the rather unsavoury noises coming out of Red Bull.
Newey, Horner, Mateschitz, Marko and Vettel are all at it.
I can source at least 10 stories in the last month that verifies this.
The only thing positive about Red Bull this year is the fantastic performances of Mr Ricciardo.
JET set