2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

pursue_one's wrote:
18 May 2023, 12:25
Upgrade package coming in Monaco.

In hindsight, this makes sense because the cars had already been built up partially and with spares and reconfigured for upgrades then sent to Imola. It wouldn’t be efficient to strip the cars down including the new suspension and so on just to build up the old spec again, especially if they don’t even have spares of the old car anymore due to the planned obsolescence.

Farnborough
Farnborough

They'd have been running with this if Imola had gone ahead, that's the new stuff in Monaco I mean. Might as well continue with run plan + relevant spares etc.

It also provides a window into next year too, with this change in concept ultimately heading for 24 championship performance.

Understanding now how this iteration compares to 22 Monaco is very valuable in terms of understanding the current thinking on car philosophy and the shift they hope it will bring.

Vital importance to MB right now is development path for 24 tub etc, that coming now will help the commitment that's to be made in these coming months for that specification. Any look at this will help in catching competitors ultimately.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

They've released a how to do an upgrade video.

F1Krof

Can the misunderstanding of the car and the correlation issues lead to better performance than expected for Mercedes' case? I remember McLaren 2012 to be such a case.
Wroom wroom

cplchanb
cplchanb

F1Krof wrote:
18 May 2023, 22:04
Can the misunderstanding of the car and the correlation issues lead to better performance than expected for Mercedes' case? I remember McLaren 2012 to be such a case.
i would say more like their 2013 car where they installed their suspension upside down.

chrisc90

Has the car been correlated yet?

cplchanb
cplchanb

chrisc90 wrote:
18 May 2023, 22:58
Has the car been correlated yet?
lets ask shovlin and allison that question :?

wogx

Do we have any info about new sidepods? Were they planned for Monaco? For Spain?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

wogx wrote:
19 May 2023, 10:41
Do we have any info about new sidepods?
:D what a can of worms..

I believe major sidepod changes had been scheduled for Imola since preseason testing or earlier internally.

There has been conflicting messaging from team members about how their car will be evolving.

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
18 May 2023, 13:40
pursue_one's wrote:

In hindsight, this makes sense because the cars had already been built up partially and with spares and reconfigured for upgrades then sent to Imola. It wouldn’t be efficient to strip the cars down including the new suspension and so on just to build up the old spec again, especially if they don’t even have spares of the old car anymore due to the planned obsolescence.
Why would you downgrade your car for monaco?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
19 May 2023, 22:38
AR3-GP wrote:
pursue_one's wrote:

You wouldn't. That is what I wrote.

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
19 May 2023, 22:39
Venturiation wrote:
19 May 2023, 22:38
AR3-GP wrote:

You wouldn't. That is what I wrote.
Yup I read quickly, it's strange Ferrari delayed theirs
When upgrades being more performance they should be used no matter the track

PlatinumZealot

Yes. Even if onky for free practice.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Farnborough
Farnborough

It just seems odd to me if they didn't use the (hopefully) more advanced specification as soon as they could reasonably supply the parts to run competently for the race weekend.

Many F1 information/discussion sites are giving every reason they can as to why it's difficult in bringing something to Monaco in this way.
The reality is that the season start specification has also never ever been to Monaco either, or for all of the teams in 2022, all of the entire field of cars.

If there's no confidence of their shift in directIon, at any circuit, questions should be made as to why they've designed it in the first place.

Equally, if it was a complete disaster, then that would also call into question many aspect of their technical team. To me, it's imperative to get stuck in and run it with upgrades, to the limit. There's really no other route to gaining on their competitors.

Big Tea

Farnborough wrote:
20 May 2023, 12:29
It just seems odd to me if they didn't use the (hopefully) more advanced specification as soon as they could reasonably supply the parts to run competently for the race weekend.

Many F1 information/discussion sites are giving every reason they can as to why it's difficult in bringing something to Monaco in this way.
The reality is that the season start specification has also never ever been to Monaco either, or for all of the teams in 2022, all of the entire field of cars.

If there's no confidence of their shift in directIon, at any circuit, questions should be made as to why they've designed it in the first place.

Equally, if it was a complete disaster, then that would also call into question many aspect of their technical team. To me, it's imperative to get stuck in and run it with upgrades, to the limit. There's really no other route to gaining on their competitors.
The only reason I can think to do that would be to test parts in isolation. Maybe not use a straight line drag mod while testing a new suspension tweak to have a direct comparison with 'as it was' and before and after in isolation.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.