Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RZS10

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

How about one of those? Image or would that count as industrial espionage? :D

Blackout

siskue2005 wrote:here is another picture, it is 2009 car with the new nose (beam wing)
nevertheless we get a look at the twin tusks
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf3QV53IAAARvcT.jpg
Read previous pages. It's not an R29 because it has low cockpit side protections (in 2008 the FIA increased their height because of the Wurz/Coulthard incident in Melbourne 2007) and the front suspensions have a keel (a V-Keel). So this cant be an R29 which has 0 keel susp and high side protections... And yes the FW is a 2009 spec.
That pic was taken in Enstone in front of the CFD center....
It's just a showcar they modified to make it look like the current car. They often fo that in Enstone.

zack!
zack!

James Allen posted a comment about Lotus tst result yesterday evening : 1 lap only ? :o :shock:

Time to panic, now ?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/02/n ... red-teams/
toleman fan Reply:
February 8th, 2014 at 11:57 am

OK, James. Friday has come and gone. What happened?
James Allen Reply:
February 8th, 2014 at 11:04 pm

They managed one lap

aleks_ader

I hope its a another Lotus joke? :wtf:
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

zack!
zack!

Very strange indeed there is still no official comm at that scary moment...
We have a black out, with Renault, Lotus and other client team attending the event...
Last edited by zack! on 09 Feb 2014, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Well I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.

My biggest surprise is about how Renault messed it up, considering their experience.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pilatus

stefan_ wrote: My biggest surprise is about how Renault messed it up, considering their experience.
Adrian Newey has experience, and he messes up ocasionally.
Ferrari has even more experience, and they mess up very occasionally. :mrgreen:

S*it happens.

radosav
radosav

zack! wrote:James Allen posted a comment about Lotus tst result yesterday evening : 1 lap only ? :o :shock:

Time to panic, now ?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/02/n ... red-teams/
toleman fan Reply:
February 8th, 2014 at 11:57 am

OK, James. Friday has come and gone. What happened?
James Allen Reply:
February 8th, 2014 at 11:04 pm

They managed one lap
How fast was it ?

langwadt
langwadt

Pilatus wrote:
stefan_ wrote: My biggest surprise is about how Renault messed it up, considering their experience.

S*it happens.
yeh, but messing up and not being able to run at all is a whole lot more messed up than being too slow or unreliable

clipsy1H

langwadt wrote:
Pilatus wrote:

S*it happens.
yeh, but messing up and not being able to run at all is a whole lot more messed up than being too slow or unreliable
depends from team to team. I think it's more awkward for a team like Ferrari to screw up 6 years in row than for a team like Lotus or Red Bull.

After 4 successful year for Renault... they can afford a small mistake like this ! but i'm sure they will be back on track soon :roll:

rjsa
rjsa

Ferrari hasn't screwed up like that, they felt short but put a fight.

We are looking at failing to start, that's REALLY messed up.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

rjsa wrote:Ferrari hasn't screwed up like that, they felt short but put a fight.

the problem here is it isn't a team problem. it's a essential part problem, the heart of the car,
and it goes for 4 teams.

No way do 4 teams have made a similar mistake, the fault is at renault, clear and simple. But that has
been clear after a couple of days already. The problem they'll be facing now is how fast they'll fix it.

Prospects aren't looking good. Again, this raises the question; can renault bring a reasonable package
in time for the first gp so the 4 renault powered teams are able to compete? If you'd have to believe the
news seeping out, it'll be 20 weeks? not before silverstone, thus? That's hardly acceptable, but given the
fact Toro Rosso did pull out most laps, and gaining speed/laptime, the question is, is renault gonna have
to take 20 weeks, or does RedBull need 20 weeks to fix the problem, combined with Renault?

I don't see RedBull nor Toro Rosso stepping out of the powerplants, i still smell possibility for Lotus to jump
to a Merc engine, Cosworth if really neccesary and feasible. It'd be a shocker if cosworth could atleast produce
a engine that actually runs, how remote that chance might be.
Merc certainly has a good package ready to go. The question is though, does the contract allow, and does finances
allow?

I assume Caterham can't pay the Merc engines. but can Lotus?

If i were lotus? I'd hang a merc engine in that puppy today - guaranteed a working powerplant and guaranteed being
part of the competition.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Blackout

You should stop taking that ''20 weeks'' and ''they did only one run'' bullshit as facts ans wait for the Bahrain test atleast.

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
rjsa wrote:Ferrari hasn't screwed up like that, they felt short but put a fight.

the problem here is it isn't a team problem. it's a essential part problem, the heart of the car,
and it goes for 4 teams.

No way do 4 teams have made a similar mistake, the fault is at renault, clear and simple. But that has
been clear after a couple of days already. The problem they'll be facing now is how fast they'll fix it.

Prospects aren't looking good. Again, this raises the question; can renault bring a reasonable package
in time for the first gp so the 4 renault powered teams are able to compete? If you'd have to believe the
news seeping out, it'll be 20 weeks? not before silverstone, thus? That's hardly acceptable, but given the
fact Toro Rosso did pull out most laps, and gaining speed/laptime, the question is, is renault gonna have
to take 20 weeks, or does RedBull need 20 weeks to fix the problem, combined with Renault?

I don't see RedBull nor Toro Rosso stepping out of the powerplants, i still smell possibility for Lotus to jump
to a Merc engine, Cosworth if really neccesary and feasible. It'd be a shocker if cosworth could atleast produce
a engine that actually runs, how remote that chance might be.
Merc certainly has a good package ready to go. The question is though, does the contract allow, and does finances
allow?

I assume Caterham can't pay the Merc engines. but can Lotus?

If i were lotus? I'd hang a merc engine in that puppy today - guaranteed a working powerplant and guaranteed being
part of the competition.
I'm not so sure that Mercedes have shelves full of engines ready for any team that wants them to pop in and buy...my guess would be that both Merc and Ferrari only have enough capacity to build the engines their partner teams have already ordered...the teams who went with Renault are almost certainly stuck with Renault...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

rjsa
rjsa

Looking now it was a really poor thinking from Red Bull management to move STR to the same engine as RBR during this big transition... the should have hedged their bet...