2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bananapeel23

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

ringo wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:45
At some point we have to accept the car is not to blame for everytime there is an undrrperformance. Other cars out there on the track have their quirks and the drivers have to live with them and get the best out of it.
Max had consistently the fastest or second fastest car since FP3. In the qualy sessions RB20 could have snatched pole if Leclerc didnt wake up. It's okay to accept that Max bottled it. Most drivers do atleast once. Also Monaco is not Max's best track. He has messed up his qualifying here at least 3 or 4 years in his career and the car was not to blame for any of them.
It's life, there's always the next race for him to be on pole. He still leads the championship by dozens of points.
Now Ferrari and McLaren can close in on thr constructors.
Red Bull performing poorly here was entirely predictable. I think they just decided to live with the fact that their car rides bumps poorly, since that is only an issue at some tracks, whereas the benefits they gain from that suspension setup has been deemed a worthwhile tradeoff over the season. That car is absolutely disgustingly fast on smooth tracks and even if they struggle compared to Ferrari and McLaren at 1/3 of the tracks on the calendar, the huge advantage at the other 2/3 of tracks is deemed worth it.

I've said it before, Vanja can deny it as much as he wants, but Ferrari has the best ride quality and is exceptional at bumpy tracks. That isn't a championship winning characteristic if they can't reach the load levels of Red Bull due to the compromises the ride quality entails. Only if they can reach Red Bull levels of outright performance on like half of the non-bumpy tracks is it a viable concept. Or if McLaren and Red Bull start trading wins on normal tracks and Ferrari dominates the bumpy ones.
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 25 May 2024, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

AMG.Tzan

chrisc90 wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:14

Not reallu.

Max certainly did not do a decent job.

You are clearly the one who is creating excuses here and not Dialtone. The car should have been second IMO. He wasn't second because Max out-braked himself at turn one. It's just something Max rare ever does so he obviously crumbled a bit under the pressure, the kind of pressure he hasn't felt in years.
I dont think the car rides the kerbs well. Seen it across the weekend so far where it gets pushed over the kerb rather than riding it (if that makes sense).

It will be interesting to know where the car was lacking in S2. As S1 Max was always up on everyone else.

I wouldn't call it pressure, just the car not being fully there for him when he needs it - which seems to be from underlying characteristics of the chassis.
I mean the rest of the field have been experiencing such kind of behavior from their cars since 2022…

Look at how many times Leclerc put it on pole in 2022-2023 while having a car porpoising like crazy or being unstable in the rear! Same goes for Hamilton at Hungary!

Having the car under him means having the clear faster car these last few years for Max! For once that didn’t happen for him and look at the result… :oops:

Also Perez’s result pretty much shows how incompetent the guy is by now! Better put a proper driver alongside Max in 2025 in that top car for once Red Bull… [-o<
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Porpoising and stiff suspension (bad ride quality) are two different things...
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:04
Hamilton did not elect to run the upgraded wing it was revealed. It is worth two tenths according to Lewis.
I thought they only had one at the track?

chrisc90

GrizzleBoy wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Hamilton did not elect to run the upgraded wing it was revealed. It is worth two tenths according to Lewis.
You beat me to it! :lol:

Luscion
Luscion

Both haas cars disqualified from Quali

LHamilton
LHamilton

With HAAS probably getting DSQ due to a illegal rear wing, I can see shithousery strategy being played. One driver starts on medium and goes long. One driver starts on softs and pits after a few laps. The guy on softs can even put on hard tires, push for a few laps and hopefully undercut a few people. Hold them up as the other driver who started with the medium, overcuts the "backmarkers". Pretty much what happend with HAAS in Saudi Arabia, where Hulkenberg managed to overcut the field behind. Here, you dont have to drive as reckless as Magnussen did back then, so noone can really argue to much against it. Someone will surely try this strategy here. Given that Hulkenberg got the favour last time and Magnussen being on 10 penality points, dont be suprised if it is Hulkenberg who tries to do the "dirty tactics" of holding everyone up to benefit Magnussen. So... Magnussen on medium and Hulkenberg on softs tomorrow at the start? :D

Luscion
Luscion

GrizzleBoy wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
According to Ted it was decided by the drivers that George should take the new wing cause Lewis didnt want to risk damaging it, Shovlin did say Russell benefited from the new wing and that both will have it in Canada

chrisc90

LHamilton wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:29
With HAAS probably getting DSQ due to a illegal rear wing, I can see shithousery strategy being played. One driver starts on medium and goes long. One driver starts on softs and pits after a few laps. The guy on softs can even put on hard tires, push for a few laps and hopefully undercut a few people. Hold them up as the other driver who started with the medium, overcuts the "backmarkers". Pretty much what happend with HAAS in Saudi Arabia, where Hulkenberg managed to overcut the field behind. Here, you dont have to drive as reckless as Magnussen did back then, so noone can really argue to much against it. Someone will surely try this strategy here. Given that Hulkenberg got the favour last time and Magnussen being on 10 penality points, dont be suprised if it is Hulkenberg who tries to do the "dirty tactics" of holding everyone up to benefit Magnussen. So... Magnussen on medium and Hulkenberg on softs tomorrow at the start? :D
RBR could do it with Perez. Doubt they will though.

ringo

Silent Storm wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:26
Porpoising and stiff suspension (bad ride quality) are two different things...
I'm not saying the car was perfect and Max was in no way affected. Helmut Marko is now saying the Monaco simulation did not show this level of bouncing that they are experiencing. So yes the car is not at its best. But... that doesnt mean crashing into the wall or locking up is not within the driver's control.
We see how crazy things get in here when other drivers lock up and they have a really poor setup that made the risks higher for falling off the edge of the balance.
It's only fair we maintain that same expectation of Max, who some say drives above the abikity of the car.
It's going to be a tough race for redbull if their simulation is of no help tonight before the race.
They just need to accept their issue and keep the car on the track.
For Sure!!

search

ringo wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:51
I'm not saying the car was perfect and Max was in no way affected. Helmut Marko is now saying the Monaco simulation did not show this level of bouncing that they are experiencing. So yes the car is not at its best. But... that doesnt mean crashing into the wall or locking up is not within the driver's control.
on AmuS he said that it isn't able to simulate the kerbs as they are. On the simulator, the Red Bull works perfectly fine.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

proteus wrote:
25 May 2024, 17:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 May 2024, 17:03
Maxiboy choked. Quite unusual!
Well his arch rival from the 21 season is choking for 3 seasons in a row now.

Since Perez got to only P18, i would say he did decent job with the car that clearly doesnt like Monaco.
Car done good vs car done bad.

Even gods need chariots that fly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

ringo wrote:
At some point we have to accept the car is not to blame for everytime there is an undrrperformance. Other cars out there on the track have their quirks and the drivers have to live with them and get the best out of it.
Max had consistently the fastest or second fastest car since FP3. In the qualy sessions RB20 could have snatched pole if Leclerc didnt wake up. It's okay to accept that Max bottled it. Most drivers do atleast once. Also Monaco is not Max's best track. He has messed up his qualifying here at least 3 or 4 years in his career and the car was not to blame for any of them.
It's life, there's always the next race for him to be on pole. He still leads the championship by dozens of points.
It’s difficult for them to accept that their favorite driver might bottle it once or twice during the season (which is exceptional still)! It’s only natural and it happens to every single athlete…

But Max would have lost pole last year too had he not been so lucky with hitting the wall 2-3 times on his last flying lap! His fans will always call it “precision” but it’s simple luck and today proved exactly that…

I won’t be surprised if he somehow manages to win tomorrow though! Both he and Red Bull always find solutions on Sundays…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

codetower

According to Pirellis tyre strategy, it shows neither Oscar nor Lando have any new tyres left? Both M and H are used? As are their Softs, is this correct? They must just be scrubbed.

Now with both Hass’ out, it clears up some of the midfield congestion and lowers the risk slightly for crashes. Might affect some undercuts potentially leaving more open space to release into.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

ringo wrote:
????

Max definitely messed up, but I have no idea what makes you think pole was on the cards for Max without it. Perez legit didn't make it out of Q1, so it was VERY clearly a case of both car and driver not performing up to par.

Seems legit insane to me to argue otherwise.