Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottB
ScottB

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Great graphs. Dont worry too much about the percentage for Brazil. Brazil has a long uphil section that rewards heavy deployment.
Still worrying that it in no way shows a consistent progression, 2 races in a row is as good as their improvement gets, and they've gotten steadily slower since Sochi, despite the introduction of the Phase 4 engine and copious introduction of new power units.

Obviously the car is a factor here, we don't know at what rate it has developed compared to the others, perhaps any major improvement wasn't possible in season, but you'd have hoped for a fairly consistent narrowing of the performance gap across the season, which is not what this graph shows...

wickedz50
wickedz50

Can Mclaren put Van in one of the car in 2016? Alonso to stay sharp and focused should look at LeMans for a year or 2 till Honda engines become competitive. He can return and race at Mclaren any time he wants but the way things are going on its a waste of his talent and the sharpness will disappear very soon. Same goes for Button too.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Is it true that TAG Heuer leaves the team McLaren-Honda after 30 years sponsorship with McLaren ?

bauc

Sombrero wrote:Is it true that TAG Heuer leaves the team McLaren-Honda after 30 years sponsorship with McLaren ?
This is the first time I read such speculation, do you have any source?.

Thanks.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Andres125sx

ScottB wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Great graphs. Dont worry too much about the percentage for Brazil. Brazil has a long uphil section that rewards heavy deployment.
Still worrying that it in no way shows a consistent progression
Still worrying that two races to finish the season some people still don´t know rules limit development to the point Honda can do nothing to solve the problem before winter

Jolle
Jolle

bauc wrote:
Sombrero wrote:Is it true that TAG Heuer leaves the team McLaren-Honda after 30 years sponsorship with McLaren ?

Thanks.
TAG/Ojjeh family is one of the major owners of the team (30% of the McLaren group), it would surprise me.... only if Ron Dennis bought them out in some way...

Sombrero
Sombrero

Source : CEO Tag Heuer Jean-Claude Biver, Hebdo 12.11.15

http://www.hebdo.ch/hebdo/cadrages/deta ... 00-montres

Q: Il se dit que vous lâcheriez McLaren pour Red Bull en F1 l’année prochaine. Est-ce exact?

A : Oui, nous venons de signer Red Bull Racing en F1 pour la saison prochaine. C’est une équipe jeune, dynamique, fonceuse, parfaitement en accord avec la stratégie de TAG Heuer.

Q: The rumour is that you'll leave McLaren for Red Bull in F-1 next year. Is it true ?

A: Yes, we just sign with Red Bull Racing in F-1 for next year. It's a young dynamical team totally in line with TAG Heuer strategy.

Scuderia1967

Jolle wrote:
bauc wrote:

Thanks.
TAG/Ojjeh family is one of the major owners of the team (30% of the McLaren group), it would surprise me.... only if Ron Dennis bought them out in some way...
The Ojjeh family sold TAG Heuer as far back as 1999

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I dont worry about Brazil so much as i do about trend since Singapoure.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

CjC
CjC

Sombrero wrote:Source : CEO Tag Heuer Jean-Claude Biver, Hebdo 12.11.15

Q: Il se dit que vous lâcheriez McLaren pour Red Bull en F1 l’année prochaine. Est-ce exact?

A : Oui, nous venons de signer Red Bull Racing en F1 pour la saison prochaine. C’est une équipe jeune, dynamique, fonceuse, parfaitement en accord avec la stratégie de TAG Heuer.

Q: The rumour is that you'll leave McLaren for Red Bull in F-1 next year. Is it true ?

A: Yes, we just sign with Red Bull Racing in F-1 for next year. It's a young dynamical team totally in line with TAG Heuer strategy.
Another body blow.

Suppose it's the fall out from a mclarens worst season ever. Honda's pay check better be worth all the sponsors leaving.

As for Red Bull aren't they affiliated with Casio? Wouldn't a Tag sponsorship push out Casio?
Just a fan's point of view

Redragon

If i was casio i will approach Mclaren to do a bargain deal, if still the empty canvas continues they will have a couple of races on the sidepod for free as Mclaren likes to do when no major sponsors are in place and if they get lucky with the honda engine evolution might have some camera attention

Morteza

CjC wrote:

Another body blow.

Suppose it's the fall out from a mclarens worst season ever. Honda's pay check better be worth all the sponsors leaving.

As for Red Bull aren't they affiliated with Casio? Wouldn't a Tag sponsorship push out Casio?
Yup. That would do it. So they will have TAG Heuer as their official timekeeping partner.

TAG Heuer has been with McLaren since the 80s if I'm not mistaken. This would end a very long partnership. A major blow to McLaren indeed. So are they going to replace TAG Heuer with another brand? Is anybody even interested? Casio is too low for Ron's ego even if they are interested IMHO. It is not a luxury brand. A deal with Seiko is plausible, I guess. They were a partner of Honda F1 team in 2000s. I remember some collaboration watches too.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bill shoe
bill shoe

First Boss and now Tag Heuer. McLaren has been (relatively) quiet financially, but how long will this continue? They have a road-car division with lackluster sales and a Formula 1 team that is blowing through money like crazy. And Ron is trying to stay in charge by raising investor/sponsor money to cover his loans... So if Ron can't come up with the money then apparently the people who will find themselves in control do not have any strong desire to be in control... It's easy to criticize the Honda engine now, but looking to the future there is so very very much riding on Arai-san's ability to put out a good engine in 2016.

Pierce89

CjC wrote:

Another body blow.

Body blow? The Honda deal is worth 200,000,000$ a year, and that's before they've gotten any Bernie money. A body blow would be losing Honda. McLaren will be back. They're a grandee team, with all the necessary tools and great depth in their engineering team. Next year will at a minimum see them at the head of the midfield scrum, I believe.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

zeph
zeph

Pierce89 wrote: Body blow? The Honda deal is worth 200,000,000$ a year, and that's before they've gotten any Bernie money. A body blow would be losing Honda. McLaren will be back. They're a grandee team, with all the necessary tools and great depth in their engineering team. Next year will at a minimum see them at the head of the midfield scrum, I believe.

I wish I could share your optimism. I would love to see Alonso take at least one more WDC, something that seems increasingly unlikely as time passes.

Regardless of how immaterial the loss of TAG/Heuer is or isn't financially, I would not underestimate the psychological blow it must be. That relationship goes back to the early 1980's, and now they're dumping aristocratic McLaren for nouveau riche RBR?

I don't care what anybody says, McLaren/Ron Dennis are not feeling good about that.