Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB19

Already has been pointed out here but the side-by-side comparison is good

GrrG

red bull suspension modification

Analyzing the evolution of RedBull RB19 "Fine-tuning the suspension arm line to improve aerodynamics!"

https://f1-motorsports-gp.com/redbull/r ... se-line-r/

f1-motorsports-gp.com
Last edited by GrrG on 01 Mar 2023, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

icantride
icantride

GrrG wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 14:29

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqDlCrCaAAA ... name=large
How much of that is down to the perspective difference of the camera? One photo is taken from a more forward position which could influence what is being seen here

organic

icantride wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 14:38
GrrG wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 14:29

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqDlCrCaAAA ... name=large
How much of that is down to the perspective difference of the camera? One photo is taken from a more forward position which could influence what is being seen here
The same changes have been listed elsewhere in this thread - it's visible from multiple angles and a real change

SiLo

How does increasing those angles affect the car? I've been wondering about how much caster they run, and how maybe more caster would allow softer spring rates but still give some higher spring rate behaviour because instead of the tyre being moved up and down, it's also being moved forwards and backwards.

Anyone with far more knowledge on suspensions help me out here, I'm just throwing out random thoughts as I find it interesting.

Is there more effective travel with more caster?
Felipe Baby!

Stu

SiLo wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 15:15
How does increasing those angles affect the car? I've been wondering about how much caster they run, and how maybe more caster would allow softer spring rates but still give some higher spring rate behaviour because instead of the tyre being moved up and down, it's also being moved forwards and backwards.

Anyone with far more knowledge on suspensions help me out here, I'm just throwing out random thoughts as I find it interesting.

Is there more effective travel with more caster?
I’m not sure that we can assume a caster increase from those pictures, the wishbone angle (relative to the wheel/chassis) has changed (which, if there were a significant amount of suspension travel would induce increasing caster IF the upper hub pivot follows a different arc to the lower one). The forces ‘seen’ at the tyre are likely to be affected more than geometry (they really don’t have a significant amount of suspension travel); if the lower hub pivot follows the same arc as the upper one there will be a tendency to VERY SLIGHTLY reduce the wheelbase under very heavy braking.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

ringo

What's more obvious is the wheel centre lines have moved forward relative to the chassis and diffuser.
Front wheels further upstream from the sidepods and rear wheels further upstream from beam wing and rear wing, by about an inch or two.
Seems for aero purposes.
For Sure!!

Blackout

organic wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:59

Already has been pointed out here but the side-by-side comparison is good

What strikes me is that they kept this undercut area (purple) wide and baggy although they could sculpt it much further around the cooling (and put that stay elsewhere) and have sidepods that float all the way to the rear like the early 2022 AM & AR
Did they do this just for outwash towards floor edge wing? or can this solution also help that flow stay attached?

AT or AM have a 'similar' undercut shape, but I dont think their cooling system is floating like this

Vanja #66

There's some strong and important aerodynamic interaction in that area, or else they wouldn't have splashed it with flow-vis more than once in testing. You can be sure they will keep close eye to that region, as they already have fairly complex floor edges so they likely already started looking at their options in that region.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Maybe they use the high energy air that gets spooled up into a vortex through their undercut to manage the lower tyre wake. If you start to expand the undercut too much like Aston martin did, the lower tyre wake can creep inboard.

If you pull the undercut inboard, the high energy air is pulled inboard away from the floor edge. When they flow vis'd the area you could see migration of the flow towards the floor edge and some outwash generated by their floor edge wing. So perhaps you cannot work the floor edge as hard if you pull the undercut in too much ?

BrunoH
BrunoH

actualy seems there is more space between the front tires and the front wing than before... the suspension seems to be mounted a bit further back but with a slight V forward in the upper arm angle now however even with that still is a bit farther from the front wing!

organic

AMuS 📸

Currently ignoring the mirrors because I choose to :D

Stu

BrunoH wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 09:36
actualy seems there is more space between the front tires and the front wing than before... the suspension seems to be mounted a bit further back but with a slight V forward in the upper arm angle now however even with that still is a bit farther from the front wing!
The endplate is shorter (in comparison to others), giving the impression of more overhang.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

organic

Autosport 📸

Which wing
Last edited by organic on 02 Mar 2023, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Henk_v
Henk_v

organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:24

AMuS 📸

Currently ignoring the mirrors because I choose to :D
Sigh...I'll start marinating the shoe....