2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

codetower wrote:
25 May 2024, 22:29
According to Pirellis tyre strategy, it shows neither Oscar nor Lando have any new tyres left? Both M and H are used? As are their Softs, is this correct? They must just be scrubbed.
yeah, it's correct, they started doing this a couple of races ago. McLaren, Aston Martin and Racing Bull all have only 1 lap each on those used mediums and/or hards.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

bananapeel23 wrote:
25 May 2024, 18:03
johnny vee wrote:
25 May 2024, 18:01
Sainz penalty still a possibility...?
Near-certainty I would say unless they let it slide because Albon got into Q3 anyway. He was very clearly impeding.
No further action on Sainz.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... r%2023.pdf

Paa

I find it strange that general view on Max that he choked under pressure and bottled it.
I mean his teammate comfortably fell out from Q1 on merit, having multiple clean attempts. With any other driver pairing, his 6th place would be seen as a huge achievement.

Maybe he didn't maximize and could have grabbed 4th or 5th or so with a decent 2nd attempt, but he decided for all or nothing after a solid banker lap. Which is understandable in his position. Didn't work out this time, but he probably still managed to qualify higher than most of the grid would have with that car.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Luscion wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:30
GrizzleBoy wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:04
Hamilton did not elect to run the upgraded wing it was revealed. It is worth two tenths according to Lewis.
I thought they only had one at the track?
According to Ted it was decided by the drivers that George should take the new wing cause Lewis didnt want to risk damaging it, Shovlin did say Russell benefited from the new wing and that both will have it in Canada
:roll: What do you mean Lewis didn't want to risk damaging it ? How ?

You know its getting bad when even LH fans are getting tired of these ready made excuses. Russell did a slightly faster lap. So what. Just imagine it was the other way around and George was saying he was 2 tenths slower because of X, Y and Z. He would get flogged left and right.

CHT
CHT

Race is always exciting when Max is not on Pole..Oscar may actually end up winning tomorrow

vanburin

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:17

You know its getting bad when even LH fans are getting tired of these ready made excuses. Russell did a slightly faster lap. So what. Just imagine it was the other way around and George was saying he was 2 tenths slower because of X, Y and Z. He would get flogged left and right.
You can read the article and quote yourself..
Instead, Motorsport.com understands that, with the team aware it would have only one version of the wing, the option of running the new wing was given to both drivers. And it emerged that Hamilton made clear that he preferred not to go with it.

Firstly, there was the desire to have a more stable platform throughout practice and qualifying so he could build up his confidence around the track – rather than risk switching around configurations.

Plus, with the new wing being a different specification to the version run so far this season, there was an added risk from heading into qualifying with no spare.

With parc ferme rules in place, if the wing had been damaged in an incident, then a switch to revert to the other specification would have meant a breach of these regulations – and a pitlane start.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... /10615696/

Seems like pretty fair logic.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

AMG.Tzan wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:24
chrisc90 wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:14

crumbled a bit under the pressure, the kind of pressure he hasn't felt in years.
I dont think the car rides the kerbs well. Seen it across the weekend so far where it gets pushed over the kerb rather than riding it (if that makes sense).

It will be interesting to know where the car was lacking in S2. As S1 Max was always up on everyone else.

I wouldn't call it pressure, just the car not being fully there for him when he needs it - which seems to be from underlying characteristics of the chassis.
I mean the rest of the field have been experiencing such kind of behavior from their cars since 2022…

Also Perez’s result pretty much shows how incompetent the guy is by now! Better put a proper driver alongside Max in 2025 in that top car for once Red Bull[-o<
This is true. They should be lucky that Carlos Sainz was shaken out of Ferrari. Why isn't he signed already.

Red Bull always talks a big game about how its all about winning. Well if it was all about winning and not about petty interpersonal politics, Sainz would be signed already.

Or maybe Gasly. But Gasly wont be signed for the same reason. Petty politics.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Paa wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:00
I find it strange that general view on Max that he choked under pressure and bottled it.
I mean his teammate comfortably fell out from Q1 on merit, having multiple clean attempts. With any other driver pairing, his 6th place would be seen as a huge achievement.

Maybe he didn't maximize and could have grabbed 4th or 5th or so with a decent 2nd attempt, but he decided for all or nothing after a solid banker lap. Which is understandable in his position. Didn't work out this time, but he probably still managed to qualify higher than most of the grid would have with that car.
he had a lot of traffic on his final run and also lost a lot of traction out the final corner, with out 1 of those two issues, he makes q2.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

vanburin wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:26
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:17

You can read the article and quote yourself..
Instead, Motorsport.com understands that, with the team aware it would have only one version of the wing, the option of running the new wing was given to both drivers. And it emerged that Hamilton made clear that he preferred not to go with it.

Firstly, there was the desire to have a more stable platform throughout practice and qualifying so he could build up his confidence around the track – rather than risk switching around configurations.

Plus, with the new wing being a different specification to the version run so far this season, there was an added risk from heading into qualifying with no spare.

With parc ferme rules in place, if the wing had been damaged in an incident, then a switch to revert to the other specification would have meant a breach of these regulations – and a pitlane start.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... /10615696/

Seems like pretty fair logic.
It clearly says there that both wings were offered to both drivers. And Hamilton chose to stay with the old wing because he had concerns of confidence. And Russell chose the more risky option with the new wing. It was on both of their volition.

When a driver chooses to turn down an upgrade, its on them.

ringo

Seanspeed wrote:
25 May 2024, 22:35
ringo wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:45
At some point we have to accept the car is not to blame for everytime there is an undrrperformance. Other cars out there on the track have their quirks and the drivers have to live with them and get the best out of it.
Max had consistently the fastest or second fastest car since FP3. In the qualy sessions RB20 could have snatched pole if Leclerc didnt wake up. It's okay to accept that Max bottled it. Most drivers do atleast once. Also Monaco is not Max's best track. He has messed up his qualifying here at least 3 or 4 years in his career and the car was not to blame for any of them.
It's life, there's always the next race for him to be on pole. He still leads the championship by dozens of points.
Now Ferrari and McLaren can close in on thr constructors.
????

Max definitely messed up, but I have no idea what makes you think pole was on the cards for Max without it. Perez legit didn't make it out of Q1, so it was VERY clearly a case of both car and driver not performing up to par.

Seems legit insane to me to argue otherwise.
RB20 was tied second fastest here with McLaren. Pole was only possible if Leclerc messed up though. At some point in Q1 and Q2 Charles seem to be out of rhythm. He even complained to his engineer that he was out of sync with everyone. His middle sectors were quite poor, and a few times they were yellow. At some point i thought he would have lost pole to Max or Piastri.
For Sure!!

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

ringo wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:39
Seanspeed wrote:
ringo wrote:
At some point we have to accept the car is not to blame for everytime there is an undrrperformance. Other cars out there on the track have their quirks and the drivers have to live with them and get the best out of it.
Max had consistently the fastest or second fastest car since FP3. In the qualy sessions RB20 could have snatched pole if Leclerc didnt wake up. It's okay to accept that Max bottled it. Most drivers do atleast once. Also Monaco is not Max's best track. He has messed up his qualifying here at least 3 or 4 years in his career and the car was not to blame for any of them.
It's life, there's always the next race for him to be on pole. He still leads the championship by dozens of points.
????

Max definitely messed up, but I have no idea what makes you think pole was on the cards for Max without it. Perez legit didn't make it out of Q1, so it was VERY clearly a case of both car and driver not performing up to par.

RB20 was tied second fastest here with McLaren. Pole was only possible if Leclerc messed up though. At some point in Q1 and Q2 Charles seem to be out of rhythm. He even complained to his engineer that he was out of sync with everyone. His middle sectors were quite poor, and a few times they were yellow. At some point i thought he would have lost pole to Max or Piastri.
If the Ferrari was that clearly dominant that pole was assured, Sainz wouldn't have been a happy quarter second behind. Piastri even said he thinks pole was possible had he put the lap together.

There's nothing to suggest that Red Bull would have been in clear play for pole. We unfortunately never got the chance to really see cuz Max just never had things under him, but that's also absolutely cuz the car was not cooperating. Perez failed to get out of Q1 with multiple clean attempts, so it's very obvious the car wasn't its usual top self this weekend.

This shouldn't be a controversial take.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Mosin123 wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:30
Paa wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:00

he had a lot of traffic on his final run and also lost a lot of traction out the final corner, with out 1 of those two issues, he makes q2.
I feel that while it's fair to use arguments like "mistakes", "traffic" amongst other things when debating as to why a driver under performed or what a driver could have done but for xyz.
That we often ignore that even the drivers that finished ahead could have done more, often times even their laps were not perfect and they could have been quicker still but for xyz...

sport777
sport777

ringo wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:39
Seanspeed wrote:
ringo wrote:
????

Are you serious now? The RB20 was clearly not a contender for pole here, Verstappen’s mistake suggests that he was trying to jump in over his head and was at the limit, the RB20 could not attack the curbs

langedweil

Lads , something slightly off topic, but I just got a F1TV pricebump as my renewal (member since day 1) goes from $64 to now $94 !?
And when I look at the website, it says $59,99
So cancel and rejoin ?
Anyone else ran into this ?
HuggaWugga !

Nickel
Nickel

What's with all the trash talking? I've been away from this place for a while but this is... not what I remember.