2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

OviJohn wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
In my opinion the only reason not to race the latest engine spec in Malaysia is for tuning reasons. No doubt any upgrade needs fine-tuning to the software as well as physical adaptation within the car. Surely they want to spend more time optimizing with the data they have now gained, before actually racing the new spec.

This!
Suzuka is a very special race for them so I guess they want to be sure that the performance will be good.

Yesterday´s race was encouraging for the team. Jenson did a good job and Alonso was stellar, doing an excellent race with an impressive pace.

amho

OviJohn wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
In my opinion the only reason not to race the latest engine spec in Malaysia is for tuning reasons. No doubt any upgrade needs fine-tuning to the software as well as physical adaptation within the car. Surely they want to spend more time optimizing with the data they have now gained, before actually racing the new spec.

This!
Hasegava said that they bring back the new spec to factory to check it, they want to analyze it and make sure about the reliability
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Pany
Pany

This double point finish is not good result. Championship is about to end; after 2 years we are fighting with Williams, Force India and Toro Rosso. We should be constantly after Ferrari if the team target is winning races in 2017. Im afraid my hopes are more and more in deception. With this growth rate next year the maximum target could be (if everything goes well) to compete with Ferrari and Williams for the 3° place. New chassis rules are bullshit; very little will change in terms of team performance dfferences. Am I wrong? hope somebody makes me change mind.
bauc wrote:Great race with double points finish for the team.

bauc

Pany wrote:This double point finish is not good result. Championship is about to end; after 2 years we are fighting with Williams, Force India and Toro Rosso. We should be constantly after Ferrari if the team target is winning races in 2017. Im afraid my hopes are more and more in deception. With this growth rate next year the maximum target could be (if everything goes well) to compete with Ferrari and Williams for the 3° place. New chassis rules are bullshit; very little will change in terms of team performance dfferences. Am I wrong? hope somebody makes me change mind.
bauc wrote:Great race with double points finish for the team.
I absolutley disagree with you. Mclaren is the team that did most progress since last year, which I admit was not that hard considering where Mclaren was with performance in 2015. We all know that the MP4-31 is a good car, but its HONDA PU still needs huge boost & better economy to be able to match the top 3 teams. Don't forget that Mclaren is now on almost equal level with FI & WIL who are Mercedes powered, meaning they are on the right track in terms of improvement.

Now with next years revamp of the technical rules and, from what we read Honda going with more ''standard'' layout while implementing TJI we should have a great basis to be competitive in F1. I've been watching since 1997, and I've learned that success does not come overnight (ex.Brawn GP but that is different story).

So if you are a Mclaren fan/supporter or just a sympathizer stay cool and keep the positives, as Ron said ...we will win again.

Cheers
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

alexx_88
alexx_88

The token system makes it very hard to know the jump a team will make in terms of PU. We've seen Ferrari in 2015, we've seen Honda this year. For all we know, the PU they're currently preparing for 2017 could be better than Mercedes or it could be marginally better than this year's. Almost impossible to know. There's a lot of (official) information that suggests "matching Mercedes 2016" as the target for next year. I'm hoping to see Mclaren battle for wins when the Mercedes pair runs into trouble, but I find it hard to believe they'll battle for the championship.

kaepernickus

There's no more token system in place for the 2017 season.

FW17

I hope J-Damper part 2 is in the making to counter Merc's hydraulic linked suspension [-o<

Alonso Fan

This year is a HUGE improvement. Last year they were the slowest team bar manor, except at a few good races where their chassis could show its hand. This year they have an engine which is better than last year's Ferrari engine. If that's not huge improvement then I dont know what is.

However, the other teams have improved as well and therefore the Honda engine is still a little way behind Renault and the top 2.

Hopefully next years engine can be good, and hopefully they can design a good chassis. Its their best chance at getting back to the podium.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

GoranF1
GoranF1

First race of mclaren-honda era where we actualy had a attacking race all the way....1 more lapand Perez would fall as well.
In fact whit normal start position for Alonso, both FI and Williams wouldnt stand chance.
Q speed biggest problem now.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Xero

GoranF1 wrote:First race of mclaren-honda era where we actualy had a attacking race all the way....1 more lapand Perez would fall as well..
You're right, it's the first time in this new Honda era where the McLaren's actually looked a threat all race long. What jumped out at me was how comfortably they fended off the Williams and Force India's down the long straights, even with a DRS advantage. Would have been a non-contest at the start of the season. Fantastic progress, and slowly but surely building a solid platform for next years push towards the front.

diffuser

FW17 wrote:I hope J-Damper part 2 is in the making to counter Merc's hydraulic linked suspension [-o<
J-Damper and Fric have both been outlawed.

SameSame
SameSame

GoranF1 wrote:First race of mclaren-honda era where we actualy had a attacking race all the way....1 more lapand Perez would fall as well.
In fact whit normal start position for Alonso, both FI and Williams wouldnt stand chance.
Judging by how far ahead of Button Alonso was in FP1 and FP2, I'm hopefully believing he would have qualified P7.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:First race of mclaren-honda era where we actualy had a attacking race all the way....1 more lapand Perez would fall as well.
I'm not so sure about that. Perez was lapping "purposely" at just enough pace so that Fred wouldn't get into DRS zone on final lap. He might have had pace in his pocket.

In a normal race Fred wouldn't have had new tires so we don't know what his race would have been like.

Lots of smoke and mirrors going on in F1.

loner

well EB said the upgraded PU could have more potential due to the reinforcements of the block
perhaps a better map set for Suzuka however Benson just said that :mrgreen:
Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 25m25 minutes ago
Andrew Benson Retweeted Met Office Storms
Er, this doesn't look good...Andrew Benson added,

Met Office Storms @metofficestorms
Met Office News Blog: Hurricane #Matthew and Typhoon #Chaba latest http://bit.ly/2dmc0Kq
para bellum.

henry

diffuser wrote:
FW17 wrote:I hope J-Damper part 2 is in the making to counter Merc's hydraulic linked suspension [-o<
J-Damper and Fric have both been outlawed.
J-damper, known also as inerters is still allowed and used today. What was banned was the Tuned Mass Damper, which is a different thing.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus