2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Nathanael F1 wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 18:13
diffuser wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 17:26
flexcon wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 16:52

IN their current state I'd propose quite a lot! My question is based on - if they don't finish the grand prix do they save in milage, or gearbox penalties or an obvious more technical answer than just " Alonso is disheartened so might as well pull up 1 lap short". Is he trying to massage his own numbers by doing so? Genuine question to what really is the point in pulling up one lap short.
I think it's just about Alonso wanting to avoid the media. At least yesterday. We didn't hear anything from him did we after the race?
He did. The F1 YouTube channel has his interview.
Can you throw me a link? I looked couldn't find it.

proteus

diffuser wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 19:34
Nathanael F1 wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 18:13
diffuser wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 17:26

I think it's just about Alonso wanting to avoid the media. At least yesterday. We didn't hear anything from him did we after the race?
He did. The F1 YouTube channel has his interview.
Can you throw me a link? I looked couldn't find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t8VLTJ8n9g

Chicane posted it few pages before.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

New ideas being tested this week and not an updated PU. So it's concept work, fine. Spain most likely for any updates before Silverstone as likely major changes.

I just wish they are more open as to what areas exactly. "ideas to cure the vibration issue" for example of "ideas to improve combustion process". It's not like they are in a position that others envy.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... in-f1-test

PlatinumZealot

flexcon wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 12:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 03:41
Hmm. Alonso did this a few times through '15 '16. A bit petulant from the big man.
Maybe I am being Dumb, but what benefit has that to retire before the end?
Not much if we are talking about mileage. It's not like they are going to make the season on four power units anyway so I can't speak much to benefits. What I do know is that when Alonso ends the race prematurely it's a little peirce in the heart for the guys and girls at Honda. And I think he does this on purpose as way to make them feel the pain he is feeling. He is is my second favourite driver but Alonso is no angel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

hazelnut120
hazelnut120

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 03:41
Hmm. Alonso did this a few times through '15 '16. A bit petulant from the big man.
When was this?

isullivan
isullivan

Honda struggling with MGUH since basically their return to F1 is really bothering, I hope they finally go all in and start developing aggressive upgrades for every other race and just take the grip penalties as they come, it's not looking like Mclaren will be fighting for anything more than top 10 finishes on tracks like Monaco, Hungary and Singapore, they might as well use another year for testing.

FW17

Or they can outsource certain parts to McLaren and use their expertise from FE as a fall back while concentrating all efforts on the ICE

mclaren111

F1 Technical Race analysis:
On the chassis side, the car is also very hard to control, its balance is completely unpredictable. The drivers have to cope with understeer on the exit, but also with sudden rear instability.
Lots & Lots of hard work ahead.

mclaren111

F1 Today:
After almost three hours of testing, McLaren is yet to set a time. Oliver Turvey has done only two installation laps. It's not clear what the issue is, but it seems like another troubled day for McLaren-Honda.
Damn !!! :( :( :(

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:01
F1 Technical Race analysis:
On the chassis side, the car is also very hard to control, its balance is completely unpredictable. The drivers have to cope with understeer on the exit, but also with sudden rear instability.
Lots & Lots of hard work ahead.
Who is this guy writing that an based on what information. The footage I saw showed a very drivable car. He was able to fight in the corners in a very decent way. Also interviews confirm the car is solid in corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBt9UyaxD9g

Thunder

Fernandos Overtakings looked quite good too in the Race.Sure there's work to do but i think the Chassis is a solid base.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Shareholders starting to comment in the press is never a good sign...
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2250 ... -like-this

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:44
Fernandos Overtakings looked quite good too in the Race.Sure there's work to do but i think the Chassis is a solid base.
Exactly, this is the onboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CyrtbfISns

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

ENGINE CHANGE FOR TURVEY
McLaren and Honda are changing the engine in Oliver Turvey's car after new reliability issues have hit them in Bahrain. A water leak in the Energy Recovery Systems is the cause for all the trouble this time.
At the start of the season I was willing to believe that fixing one issue could lead to a snow ball effect bringing the engine to a decent level. But this is starting to look like a snowball turning into an avalanche. As much as this is McLaren - Honda most of us still look to it as mainly the McLaren team. It's looking more and more dimm.

GPR-A duplicate2

Jef Patat wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:46
Shareholders starting to comment in the press is never a good sign...
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2250 ... -like-this
Would they go in damage control mode and revert to Mercedes engines? Atleast that way, they would jump back to the top of the pile. Looking at the efforts that it is taking for Ferrari to come to Mercedes level (not sure if they are there yet), it doesn't look like Honda will EVER get there and neither can any new entrant can. Atleast, McLaren could potentially be second/third best team with the Mercedes PU. That should calm the share holders much and also give breathing space for McLaren to plan better for the future. With new engine regulations being discussed for 2021, may be it is wise for Honda to junk the current project and focus on 2021 and then McLaren switch to Honda.