2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wiktor977
wiktor977

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:34
If someone bothers you just mute him, no need to clutter the thread.

Canada, Austin and Imola, three upgrade packages that have not worked as hoped. After the knowledge brought from Red Bull was exhausted Fallows has so far not proven to be a great technical leader on his own. It may not be his fault, it may be the incomplete infrastructure or something else, but the responsibility is ultimately his. I haven't lost all faith in him but it's starting to wane so he better prove himself.
But Dan Fallows wasn't a Technical Director in Red Bull, he was Head of Aerodynamics. So we cannot compare his work at Red Bull to what he does at AMR. Ultimately I think that strength of big teams does not lie in their directors and chiefs but mainly in the staff that works for them. Maybe this is the main reason why Aston struggles BUT at the same time I acknowledge that they are 100% able to make a great car, AMR23 is a clear example of that.

Joseki
Joseki

https://x.com/SmilexTech/status/1792478660424782012
Piergiuseppe Donadoni
@SmilexTech

Alonso and Aston used the GP as a test, with a stint on each compound. Data collection to understand why the new package is not what the technicians expected. Fernando and especially Lawrence are starting to lose their patience

Xyz22
Xyz22

Joseki wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:02
Piergiuseppe Donadoni
@SmilexTech

Alonso and Aston used the GP as a test, with a stint on each compound. Data collection to understand why the new package is not what the technicians expected. Fernando and especially Lawrence are starting to lose their patience
This doesn't surprise me. They clearly have an issue with correlation between wind tunnel / in loop simulator and the real world.
The only option is to test on track, but they are going to lose a lot of precious time.

xReVo
xReVo

Joseki wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:02
Piergiuseppe Donadoni
@SmilexTech

Italian source, I am Italian, but it is not known if this news is true. However, it doesn't surprise me that some people are starting to lose patience. F1 is a business, a showcase, it doesn't do any good no one to stand behind. Consequently, if tough decisions need to be made, it is right to do so

Luscion
Luscion

I see people saying it's Merc's rear suspension but AM have already disputed this and said they're happy with it and it's not the cause of their problems

https://formu1a.uno/en/aston-martin-ins ... .%E2%80%9D

And it being Merc's wind tunnel doesn't make sense to me either, AM built the second fastest car in 2023 using it and could have potentially been a race winning car with the right strategy in Monaco. The W14 also never got slower last year when Merc brought their upgrades to it, they worked like they should have and according to Merc, all the upgrades for the W15 have also worked as expected.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Monaco and Canadian races are gonna be brutal compared to last year.

Closest to a win and best race in terms of pure race pace last year. Still think top 5 is possible at monaco since Sunday is a procession unless it rains

xReVo
xReVo

Luscion wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:36
I see people saying it's Merc's rear suspension but AM have already disputed this and said they're happy with it and it's not the cause of their problems

https://formu1a.uno/en/aston-martin-ins ... .%E2%80%9D

And it being Merc's wind tunnel doesn't make sense to me either, AM built the second fastest car in 2023 using it and could have potentially been a race winning car with the right strategy in Monaco. The W14 also never got slower last year when Merc brought their upgrades to it, they worked like they should have and according to Merc, all the upgrades for the W15 have also worked as expected.
Indeed, but many people don't want to understand it. They think the Mercedes wind tunnel is not good, when in reality it is the best in all of F1😂

SSJ4
SSJ4

Carlos miquel the only guy what correct about imola upgrades

In the simulator car was a 2-3 tenths improvement. Fernando said the car was extremely difficult to drive

https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/op ... b45f1.html

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

When AM will make their rear suspension and leave Mercedes? they said no, but, the rear suspension is the biggest problem in that car, but, obviously, they are a client, they will not vomit bad words about it.

xReVo
xReVo

Rikrikrik wrote:
20 May 2024, 18:13
When AM will make their rear suspension and leave Mercedes? they said no, but, the rear suspension is the biggest problem in that car, but, obviously, they are a client, they will not vomit bad words about it.
When will this rear suspension talk end? Mercedes is faster than Aston Martin, so it means there's something they're doing wrong. Alonso who has renewed the contract with certain conditions, make these races is ... A young driver can do it, not him and Briatore it was clear, but Aston Martin also knows it well and I think the climate is already very tense. Someone might say hello and I wouldn't be too surprised if it was someone related to car mechanics, take a guess who.

Nikosar
Nikosar

What a bad moment.... the car is extremely difficult to drive and a lack of trust in the car will impact the street circuit like Monaco. Any mistake = car on the wall with little time to fix it.....

Wonder how Lawrence react to " we used the Imola GP as test and the car arrived LAST"..... Mercedes boss or Ferrari will never accept this regardless of the reasons. Ferrari sacked Binotto while Leclerc was putting his car on podium regularly...

xReVo
xReVo

Nikosar wrote:
20 May 2024, 19:26
What a bad moment.... the car is extremely difficult to drive and a lack of trust in the car will impact the street circuit like Monaco. Any mistake = car on the wall with little time to fix it.....

Wonder how Lawrence react to " we used the Imola GP as test and the car arrived LAST"..... Mercedes boss or Ferrari will never accept this regardless of the reasons. Ferrari sacked Binotto while Leclerc was putting his car on podium regularly...
Mentalità vincente

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Doesn’t AM share Mercedes wind tunnel?

It seems Mclaren has taken a leap forward with correlation with their own wind tunnel.

Not saying a correlation = causation, but the two teams sharing the same WT do seem to be struggling with correlation.

Emag
Emag

Hoffman900 wrote:
20 May 2024, 22:04

It seems Mclaren has taken a leap forward with correlation with their own wind tunnel.

Not saying a correlation = causation, but the two teams sharing the same WT do seem to be struggling with correlation.
McLaren developed the 2023 car (including the major upgrades later in the season) in the old Toyota wind tunnel. Even their 2024 car was conceived using the old tunnel, even though upgrades for this car will likely come from parts tested in their new wind tunnel.

However, it is their 2025 car that will be fully developed (from the get-go) with their in-house wind tunnel.

Anyway, if the correlation is good, the wind tunnel is not a major limitation. RedBull is currently using an archaic tunnel compared to the competition, but clearly that's not holding them back.

For McLaren, the biggest benefit to having the wind tunnel at their factory comes in form of logistics. It's way less efficient to ship parts back and forth from Woking to Cologne, but of course, you can't mitigate the benefits of newer technology. For sure they are getting some benefit from the modern facilities.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Hoffman900 wrote:
20 May 2024, 22:04

Maybe nothing problem with the Mercedes wind tunnel, I mean was perfect for the previous car regulations,but can't support enough the ground effect cars. But I still think Aston problem is the tyres which was introduced last year before Hungary in Silverstone. This tyre rubber doesn't changed, but under the rubber compounds got an extra layer for the stronger side wall and less puncture and an extra layer inside as well . This little change made more stiff and rigid the tyres.Basically before in the corners the tyres absorbed more energy and side movement (more stable rear),more forgiveness, but with the new tyres the car loose grip easier or slide easier at fast corners. What happens if your tyres always loose grip or slide? Overheat, high tyre deg ,slower laptimes. After Silverstone Last year came Hungary. Aston simulator told to the team they will be good for podiums,but actually was a disaster. Nothing really changed just the tyres.