2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dunlay
Dunlay

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

j_ste wrote:
22 May 2024, 23:34
AR3-GP wrote:
22 May 2024, 21:07
j_ste wrote:
22 May 2024, 07:02

If his tyres completely died to the point where they needed to pit him 6-7 laps later, he would have come out behind Sergio.
At that point, Russell's pace was quite stable. He was lapping high 1.20, low 1.21 fairly consistently.

I'm not implying that they were favoring Hamilton. Instead, I think it was a "Mercedes" strategy...one that doesn't make sense on its own. They are known for this... I don't think fastest lap was a primary motivation either. That was coincidence. They were really concerned that Russell couldn't manage 10 more laps with a 30 second lead and that objectively doesn't make sense...It's not the first time Mercedes does a strategy that doesn't make sense.
Thats the issue with the cliff. There isnt a huge warning, you just fall off it. And then there was also the chance of a late safety car, which pitting George also covered them from.

And in this instance, with the gap to Perez it was an easy decision to make at the time.
Gone are the days of falling off of cliff. There are ample examples of drivers going way longer on tyres than Pirelli usually suggests, without falling off of cliff. That was a phenomenon in the early years of Pirelli.

PlatinumZealot

One point doesnt mean much for Mercedes. George was about to be "devoured" by his slow starting teamate in a few laps and it was better to save face and have him pit. The fastest lap point was his consolation. He didn't complain and we shouldn't either.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Dunlay
Dunlay

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2024, 05:38
One point doesnt mean much for Mercedes. George was about to be "devoured" by his slow starting teamate in a few laps and it was better to save face and have him pit. The fastest lap point was his consolation. He didn't complain and we shouldn't either.
Can we keep this school boy stuff out please? Lewis definitely had better pace on hards, but as we have seen this year and last, they don't mind giving away positions to each other when either of them are slow as they are not fighting for podiums or wins. There is no such thing as saving face. They both are very gracious in handling these situations. This was just a team strategy to maximize points on offer.

j_ste
j_ste

Dunlay wrote:
23 May 2024, 03:12
j_ste wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
22 May 2024, 21:07

At that point, Russell's pace was quite stable. He was lapping high 1.20, low 1.21 fairly consistently.

I'm not implying that they were favoring Hamilton. Instead, I think it was a "Mercedes" strategy...one that doesn't make sense on its own. They are known for this... I don't think fastest lap was a primary motivation either. That was coincidence. They were really concerned that Russell couldn't manage 10 more laps with a 30 second lead and that objectively doesn't make sense...It's not the first time Mercedes does a strategy that doesn't make sense.
Thats the issue with the cliff. There isnt a huge warning, you just fall off it. And then there was also the chance of a late safety car, which pitting George also covered them from.

And in this instance, with the gap to Perez it was an easy decision to make at the time.
Gone are the days of falling off of cliff. There are ample examples of drivers going way longer on tyres than Pirelli usually suggests, without falling off of cliff. That was a phenomenon in the early years of Pirelli.
If they are troubled by the data they see, then clearly they saw the possibility. So unless you know more or assume they are lying...

Anyway...6-7. Whatever.

Dunlay
Dunlay

j_ste wrote:
23 May 2024, 11:22
Dunlay wrote:
23 May 2024, 03:12
j_ste wrote:

If they are troubled by the data they see, then clearly they saw the possibility. So unless you know more or assume they are lying...

Anyway...6-7. Whatever.
Sure.

Valtteri did 54 Laps!!! Almost the race distance. His times dropped in the last 4 laps. For 50 laps, it was fairly consistent.

Look at Daniel on hards. 51 Laps! Do you see any cliff?

Tsunoda did 50 laps! Do you see drop off?

Hulk did 49 laps.

Farnborough
Farnborough

The hards appear to give a mixed signal to drivers, driven more gently they looked to be dropping out of optimum heat range and maybe confusing the driver interpretation of what's happening to them.

Some of the comments made them seem "inert" and possibly led to decisions on usage that compromised pace.

We're not privi to how much gauge was left on tires, temperature was not necessarily reported in public domain either ?

Norris appeared to recognise that he was being too careful with the fronts, took steps to "kill" them as he put it, to increase his pace and close down distance to MV.

Don't think any teams ran extensive/representative hard tire evaluation that could have shown this characteristic at this circuit in FPs.

Certainly appears to have wrong footed some strategies etc.

PlatinumZealot

Dunlay wrote:
23 May 2024, 05:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2024, 05:38
Can we keep this school boy stuff out please? Lewis definitely had better pace on hards, but as we have seen this year and last, they don't mind giving away positions to each other when either of them are slow as they are not fighting for podiums or wins. There is no such thing as saving face. They both are very gracious in handling these situations. This was just a team strategy to maximize points on offer.
You could have said what you said without throwing a pointless insult.

And speaking of schoolboy, it's seems you're very naive if you think racecar drivers are "gracious" and and indifferent to being outdriven. Need to pay attention to the finer details, bro.

You made it sound as if George handled the situation on the track by "graciously" allowing Lewis to pass. :lol: He didn't. He was being outpaced on those tyres and his racecar driver ego was telling him push harder to prove a point, before knackering said tyres. His race engineer saw it all play out and offered him an "out" for his foolish ways. Also explained why Toto dismissively said " Lewis would have had him anway. "
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

La Stella explored the possibility of securing the "genius" who left Red Bull, but the company's leaders chose to place full trust in James Allison. Mercedes continues to lose important players (it also leaves Vino as head of aerdynamics). The restart will begin with Resta and Sampò arriving from Maranello.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... /10614219/

Reading the tea leaves, maybe Allison isnt interested in what he’s currently tasked with. Seems like he wants out/has wanted out & Wolff keeps making him part of the fold. There’s a part in the article where they mentioned he offered to resign to facilitate a Newey hire, odd behaviour for someone who’s supposed to be hungry.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Luscion
Luscion

214270 wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:36
La Stella explored the possibility of securing the "genius" who left Red Bull, but the company's leaders chose to place full trust in James Allison. Mercedes continues to lose important players (it also leaves Vino as head of aerdynamics). The restart will begin with Resta and Sampò arriving from Maranello.

Reading the tea leaves, maybe Allison isnt interested in what he’s currently tasked with. Seems like he wants out/has wanted out & Wolff keeps making him part of the fold. There’s a part in the article where they mentioned he offered to resign to facilitate a Newey hire, odd behaviour for someone who’s supposed to be hungry.
Reading the article, theres nothing in there about James wanting to resign so they could get Newey, it says that Merc are no longer waiting on a decision from Newey, time has run out for him, on top of that apparently Newey doesnt want any technical responsibility, preferring a consultant role available two or three days a week. James failed to turn around things for Merc at the start of the season and was willing to resign and it was rejected by top management at Merc, they want the future to come through him, also says he felt alone at the top in the technical side (this part is just me but it would make sense why Merc pushed to get Serra and Sampo from October instead of next year). Article says Toto is rebuilding a new technical team by looking for resources that can be integrated into a staff that needs to be reformed from the ground up.

Luscion wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:34
214270 wrote:

Reading the article, theres nothing in there about James wanting to resign so they could get Newey, it says that Merc are no longer waiting on a decision from Newey, time has run out for him, on top of that apparently Newey doesnt want any technical responsibility, preferring a consultant role available two or three days a week. James failed to turn around things for Merc at the start of the season and was willing to resign and it was rejected by top management at Merc, they want the future to come through him, also says he felt alone at the top in the technical side (this part is just me but it would make sense why Merc pushed to get Serra and Sampo from October instead of next year). Article says Toto is rebuilding a new technical team by looking for resources that can be integrated into a staff that needs to be reformed from the ground up.
Yes maybe the 2 events aren’t connected, although they’re discussing it as if they are on reddit. Still, whether his heart is in it is a fair question; he has been through a decent amount. Either way, the team is still in the dark - not yet found the light at tunnel’s end.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Luscion
Luscion

214270 wrote:
23 May 2024, 18:20
Luscion wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:34
214270 wrote:

Yes maybe the 2 events aren’t connected, although they’re discussing it as if they are on reddit. Still, whether his heart is in it is a fair question; he has been through it. Either way, the team is still in the dark - not yet found the light at tunnel’s end.
From the way I've read it(and I could be wrong) it seems like these two events are completely unrelated and the article just put a sensational headline to get clicks. It seems like the stuff with James happened months ago, he even mentioned he was fine working with Newey and didn't think they would clash, the roles would just need to be defined not even a week ago. James in his mind failed Merc, said he was willing to go, Merc said no, Merc wanted Newey but he was too much of a headache so they're not bothering with him anymore while they're in the process of rebuilding their technical team
Last edited by Luscion on 23 May 2024, 19:25, edited 3 times in total.

ringo

Ironically Lewis' departure may be what Mercedes needed to catch Ferrari and Redbull.
With him gone it frees up money for staff.
I know driver salaries are exempt from the 150 million budget, but it's money that had to come from somewhere and the team can still be arranged to make use of 50 million.

James has said he would work with Newey provided the responsibilities of both are clearly defined. I think he dpesnt have a hunger issue. He has a work load issue. He's getting old and wants less to do.
For Sure!!

F1Krof

ringo wrote:
23 May 2024, 19:02
Ironically Lewis' departure may be what Mercedes needed to catch Ferrari and Redbull.
I know driver salaries are exempt from the 150 million budget, but it's money that had to come from somewhere and the team can still be arranged to make use of 50 million.

James has said he would work with Newey provided the responsibilities of both are clearly defined. I think he dpesnt have a hunger issue. He has a work load issue. He's getting old and wants less to do.
Drivers and top management salaries are not within the budget constraint.
Wroom wroom

j_ste
j_ste

ringo wrote:
23 May 2024, 19:02

Mercedes are not struggling for money. for example, If Max wanted to join, they would willingly give him Lewis' salary and probably more.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Early days but a decent practice for Merc today, remains to be seen if there’s much room left like the others but I did wonder if Monaco may just suit their car a little bit more this weekend than other circuits.