2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
krich
krich

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp ... b4579.html

Good vibes for Fernando, he also said they found something interesting from last race

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:59
-wkst- wrote:
23 May 2024, 13:16
Binotto would be a great asset for the PU integration for 2026, as would be Matt Harman.
But do you know if they are at least good engineers, the impact they have on the teams? I don't believe so, so no one can know this. The only thing that can be done is to deduce it, 2022 Alpine A522 engine do you remember it? As far as Ferrari is concerned, we have a 2020 engine. Do you remember it? And the one in 2022, with reliability problems? Among other things, the new 2026 regulations are focused on electric, something that neither Ferrari nor Alpine excelled at.
Well Binotto Climbed the Ferrari ladder. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't excellent.

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

krich wrote:
23 May 2024, 15:01
https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp ... b4579.html

Good vibes for Fernando, he also said they found something interesting from last race
Just a script and the robotic answers. Probably they will struggle for enter in Q3 maybe on Q2 in the worst situation. They will not do anything much better than Imola, just if they discovered any key to comparing with the last week, how you said,but, honestly? I dont trust more on nothing from AM member say. Just promises and excuses since Canada 2023

Xyz22
Xyz22

diffuser wrote:
23 May 2024, 15:06
xReVo wrote:
-wkst- wrote:
Binotto would be a great asset for the PU integration for 2026, as would be Matt Harman.
But do you know if they are at least good engineers, the impact they have on the teams? I don't believe so, so no one can know this. The only thing that can be done is to deduce it, 2022 Alpine A522 engine do you remember it? As far as Ferrari is concerned, we have a 2020 engine. Do you remember it? And the one in 2022, with reliability problems? Among other things, the new 2026 regulations are focused on electric, something that neither Ferrari nor Alpine excelled at.
Well Binotto Climbed the Ferrari ladder. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't excellent.
Trust me, Binotto is the last person you would want as a TP.

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:
23 May 2024, 15:23
diffuser wrote:
23 May 2024, 15:06
xReVo wrote:

Trust me, Binotto is the last person you would want as a TP.
TP is a Manager. So we're talking about his engineering skills.

Nikosar
Nikosar

xReVo wrote:
-wkst- wrote:
He won't be in charge of this part, as Honda will be the supplier. Technicians like him and Andrea Stella can be valuable. He's already got a new job with an Italian company, so not sure he'll be back to F1. Lawrence spoke to Binotto at Imola to spread rumours so that he could put pressure on the team.

Lawrence is an entrepreneur and for him, regardless of the results, the total value of the team must remain above $ 1bn. Some believe that the best time to sell a stake was last year with a whooping $1.4bn value after the podiums, when the hype was so high that a good profit could be made. So he's willing to do anything to keep his investments safe, and if changing personnel will keep the team's value, he'll do it. He's clearly not happy with what they tell him.

xReVo
xReVo

Nikosar wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:17
xReVo wrote:
-wkst- wrote:
He won't be in charge of this part, as Honda will be the supplier. Technicians like him and Andrea Stella can be valuable. He's already got a new job with an Italian company, so not sure he'll be back to F1. Lawrence spoke to Binotto at Imola to spread rumours so that he could put pressure on the team.

Lawrence is an entrepreneur and for him, regardless of the results, the total value of the team must remain above $ 1bn. Some believe that the best time to sell a stake was last year with a whooping $1.4bn value after the podiums, when the hype was so high that a good profit could be made. So he's willing to do anything to keep his investments safe, and if changing personnel will keep the team's value, he'll do it. He's clearly not happy with what they tell him.
He wants to win in F1, it is normal that he is not happy with these results, even after all the investments made. But I personally would never take Binotto, Ferrari's 2022 F1 season speak clearly.

Joseki
Joseki

formu1a.uno article: https://formu1a.uno/it/aston-martin-i-p ... lla-amr24/

the new update adds downforce but also adds instability and makes the balance worse (orversteer on entry, understeer mid corner)
there are updates coming to address the balance of the car
they will use the old front wing in Monaco coupled with a new rear wing and beam wing

-wkst-
-wkst-

Yep and to add what he more or less said in his media round:
The simulator/simulations tell them that the updates package makes the car X tenths faster - but on track it's a different thing (where you have to make compromises).

Nikosar
Nikosar

Joseki wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:41
formu1a.uno article: https://formu1a.uno/it/aston-martin-i-p ... lla-amr24/

the new update adds downforce but also adds instability and makes the balance worse (orversteer on entry, understeer mid corner)
there are updates coming to address the balance of the car
they will use the old front wing in Monaco coupled with a new rear wing and beam wing
They don't have a choice, because in Monaco there is no room for instability, every mistake is equivalent to kissing the wall... but the previous specs were very well adapted to qualifying. So if they don't mess up, they should have a good car for qualifying

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Reading through and looking at their performance, I think the performance gulf as well as the difficulty for in season development is due to the trackside operations and the engineering team back at base having differing views on development/deployment/usage of parts. Partly explains why the winter development is decent and in season development fell flat.

SSJ4
SSJ4

CaribouBread wrote:
23 May 2024, 18:12
Reading through and looking at their performance, I think the performance gulf as well as the difficulty for in season development is due to the trackside operations and the engineering team back at base having differing views on development/deployment/usage of parts. Partly explains why the winter development is decent and in season development fell flat.
yeah i said that last year especially when trackside and factory engineers had differing opinions with the cars development.

xReVo
xReVo

Apparently there is insistent news coming out that the best PUs of 2026 will be Mercedes and Ferrari. And usually when they happen, they come true. Fernando's talent will never be expressed, it's quite sad

Emag
Emag

xReVo wrote:
23 May 2024, 23:37
Apparently there is insistent news coming out that the best PUs of 2026 will be Mercedes and Ferrari. And usually when they happen, they come true. Fernando's talent will never be expressed, it's quite sad
Fernando's talent has already been expressed. Newer fans perhaps don't know it, but it would be quite a challenge to find an older fan who doesn't appreciate Fernando's abilities as a driver. As far as the new generation goes, It's frankly a miracle the guy is still driving considering he joined the sport some 23 years ago by now. Taking the average career length, Fernando shouldn't have even reached the newer generation of fans as a driver, but hey, he keeps going at it and will probably keep going until towards the end of the 3rd decade of racing in this sport.

Just be glad Aston gave him a car last year that allowed him to show the world (at least) one more time how good he is, in spite of his age. I am sure Fernando is grateful for that as well. Sure, it would have been nice to have an even more competitive car this year, but isn't that the case for every driver?

Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. There were some bad signs last year with how the in-season development panned out, and unfortunately for them, whatever the issues are, they carried into this season as well. But obviously they have a team right now which is quite capable of producing a competitive car. They need to get on top of whatever has gone wrong and I am sure they will succeed again.

Whether Fernando will be there (and on top form) to enjoy some of that success, that remains to be seen. But either way, he has already proven himself as one of the best drivers of his generation.

xReVo
xReVo

Emag wrote:
23 May 2024, 23:49
xReVo wrote:
23 May 2024, 23:37
Fernando's talent has already been expressed. Newer fans perhaps don't know it, but it would be quite a challenge to find an older fan who doesn't appreciate Fernando's abilities as a driver. As far as the new generation goes, It's frankly a miracle the guy is still driving considering he joined the sport some 23 years ago by now. Taking the average career length, Fernando shouldn't have even reached the newer generation of fans as a driver, but hey, he keeps going at it and will probably keep going until towards the end of the 3rd decade of racing in this sport.

Just be glad Aston gave him a car last year that allowed him to show the world (at least) one more time how good he is, in spite of his age. I am sure Fernando is grateful for that as well. Sure, it would have been nice to have an even more competitive car this year, but isn't that the case for every driver?

Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. There were some bad signs last year with how the in-season development panned out, and unfortunately for them, whatever the issues are, they carried into this season as well. But obviously they have a team right now which is quite capable of producing a competitive car. They need to get on top of whatever has gone wrong and I am sure they will succeed again.

Whether Fernando will be there (and on top form) to enjoy some of that success, that remains to be seen. But either way, he has already proven himself as one of the best drivers of his generation.
You're right, I'm very grateful to Aston Martin, without them it probably wouldn't even be in F1 now. In fact I don't know anyone to blame. But let's face it, we all have a lot of bitterness, Fernando never had the fastest car and that's a fact. All the riders in history who have won at least one world championship have had it, but never him, that's the sadness. Not to mention the wasted time between 2014 and 2022 where he couldn't prove anything with the cars he drove, so we can't be happy about that. And add to that that we all had a bit of hope for 2026, already they take away any expectations from us, should we jump for joy? No... Alonso returned to F1 to win, not to fight for the top 10. Furthermore, I should continue to see drivers with much less talent of him to win? Absolutely not, without Alonso winning I won't watch F1 anymore and I'm Italian.