Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Jolle wrote:Imagine the RedBull solution, somebody blows their engine on the run to L'au Rouge just in front of you. Oil and water on you're wind screen and no possibility to clear it any soon.
As opposed to the situation now (or with the FIA Halo) where that stuff just avoids their visor??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle
Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
Jolle wrote:Imagine the RedBull solution, somebody blows their engine on the run to L'au Rouge just in front of you. Oil and water on you're wind screen and no possibility to clear it any soon.
As opposed to the situation now (or with the FIA Halo) where that stuff just avoids their visor??
Compare it with a car or a motorbike. In something simple like a light drizzle, a car needs wipers, in case of greese or oil and a bit of sunshine it needs a wash.

A helmet visor can take a lot of dirt, greese and water because your eyes look through different sections of the visor (your brain makes it into one pic) and because it's a lot closer, you're focus isn't on the dirt. And because it's within reach, a wipe or tear off is easy.

There is a reason bikers tend to look over their windshield in rain...

andrewf1

Looks like Red Bull's proposal might be ready for 2017 after all. Good news!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... 17-688956/

djos

andrewf1 wrote:Looks like Red Bull's proposal might be ready for 2017 after all. Good news!

Good news indeed!
"In downforce we trust"

Shrieker

That's good to hear! Great to see there's rational progress being made, somewhere...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Neno
Neno

Shrieker wrote:That's good to hear! Great to see there's rational progress being made, somewhere...
It isnt a good news. Good news would be no closed cockpits in first place. They just choose a lesser evil. But it is a still a evil in first place.

djos

Neno wrote:
Shrieker wrote:That's good to hear! Great to see there's rational progress being made, somewhere...
It isnt a good news. Good news would be no closed cockpits in first place. They just choose a lesser evil. But it is a still a evil in first place.
I disagree, I think F1 cars with the RedBull solution look cool while improving safety.
"In downforce we trust"

FrukostScones

What is the "wash" with halo in the rain... straight to the visor or reasonably distributed...

And with the Red Bull Canopy you need to clean the sh*t every pit stop and vision will be abysmal and I doubt it will work in the rain...

Or do we have nanocoating now that can keep it clean under all circumstances???

I'd say from the drivers driving perspective they would surely prefer Halo structure.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

djos

FrukostScones wrote:What is the "wash" with halo in the rain... straight to the visor or reasonably distributed...

And with the Red Bull Canopy you need to clean the sh*t every pit stop and vision will be abysmal and I doubt it will work in the rain...

Or do we have nanocoating now that can keep it clean under all circumstances???

I'd say from the drivers driving perspective they would surely prefer Halo structure.
These issues have already been covered, there are products like rainX and tear offs too, they already use these on the helmet visors and in other classes of motorsport.
"In downforce we trust"

Neno
Neno

djos wrote:
Neno wrote:
I disagree, I think F1 cars with the RedBull solution look cool while improving safety.
you want watch "safety" and "cool" gadgets , I want to watch most exciting motorsport in the world. There is difference. not that there's anything wrong with that

jknights
jknights

andrewf1 wrote:Looks like Red Bull's proposal might be ready for 2017 after all. Good news!

I agree.
I understand the oil and water concerns but it is a better looking solution than Halo, IMHO. So if it provides the same driver protection then great.

Thunder

Tomorrow we will see what the RedBull System looks like. https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/725632188331470848
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

Excellent, should be illuminating.

Btw, does that mean it passed the FiA tire collision tests?
"In downforce we trust"

bauc

djos wrote:Excellent, should be illuminating.

Btw, does that mean it passed the FiA tire collision tests?
IIRC there was statement from RB that if their halo passes the collision tests than they will test it.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

turbof1

If it passed collision testing, I see little to no reason not to introduce this next year. More then enough solutions to keep the windscreen clean.

Regarding open cockpit purity: I don't see why this goes more against the spirit of F1 then a halo. But keep a good section of the cockpit open. Imo, the halo is even less F1 as it looks clumsy compared to the elegant red bull solution.
#AeroFrodo