The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

turbof1 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Well, I think opinion splits here. In my personal view, Toto, Niki and/or Paddy found a 1-2 Abu Dhabi being in jeopardy and were only concerned by that. I think in that moment they were not considering how Hamilton would act on it or what it meant to him. I really do not believe they were concerned with any controversy in the media. In that moment, only the race and the outcome for Mercedes mattered. Discussions are ongoing all the time about what is going on the track, not outside.

There is nothing that indicates a conspiracy against Hamilton here, my friend.
I see your point but with regard to Hamilton's response. We need to remember that Hamilton had already given a polite but firm 'NO' before Paddy issues his orders so there was never going to be a better reaction when he is the told to do it. That again takes no thinking as that is obvious.
I don't buy that they didn't expect Hamilton's reaction. Lowe will have known of Hamilton since 1995 when Hamilton signed on the McClaren young driver scheme and certainly since 2007 when he became a full driver. Let's us not forget they pretty much moved to Merc at the same time as well so that's just short of a decade. Lauda as a former F1 driver should have known damn well the reaction too.

I take it that you think Merc were naive in their judgement?
Paddy Lowe has been in the sport since 1987 and Nikki Lauda since 1971. Wolff has raced since 1992 and has been in F1 since 2009 They know all to well how the sport works.

Lowe and Wolff have already broached the other issue as I have said. There is too much knowledge of the sport and the issues for it to be put down to 'didn't see it coming'.
You can take it as simply not being worried about the fallout in the news. Perhaps naive indeed in hoping Hamilton would abandon his plans and increase pace in this particular case. I think they probably thought it was not going to work, but tried to give it a go anyway because a 1-2 was in jeopardy.

Maybe you should also read this article:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/race- ... wn-854925/

It puts further emphasis on that number one goal of Mercedes is finishing 1-2, even saying they don't care in which order:
"The very plain objective of an F1 team is to win every race, and ideally get a one-two. And it was clearly expressed to the drivers," he added.

"We don't mind which order it's in, but we're after a one-two, and we were not going to distort those objectives in favour of the drivers' World Championship."
I understand your viewpoint: you find it's too simple, too naive to believe that Mercedes did not took into account how Hamilton would react into consideration. Fact of the matter is that they probably purposely did so because they feel the team stands above the driver and drivers should obey instructions. They feel personal goals have to make room for the team's goal. It's working a bit with arrogancy actually, but I also think they have good reason to do so. 1,500 people make a massive effort all year long to get the best result achievable. Hundreds of millions are being put in the team. The drivers get glory and are being burried underneath royalties. From Mercedes their standpoint, they cannot accept insurbodination and need to have their drivers to obey and expect those to do so. Hamilton giving a polite no therefore was never going to cut it for Mercedes.
Thats an interesting piece. However I can't believe Lowes even had the brass neck to say this 'The team have done a fantastic job in the previous 20 races.' They have failed one of their drivers pure and simple that's not even open for debate.

Fair enough but purely in a PR point does it not seem better to be seen to be fair to both drivers and therefore when you have utterly failed one of your drivers would it not be better to just stay out of it?

Pierce89

Restomaniac wrote:
bauc wrote:Congrats to Nico, well deserved
Well deserved? Let'sexplore that shall we.
Beaten 10 wins to 9
Beaten 11 poles to 8
Only need 5 engines to his team mates 8 (eight).
Had his team pleading and crying for him during the last race because his team mate was daring to try and win the WDC without the teams say so. Which totally brought his team mate needing 8 engines right back into focus.

Yep totally deserved.
Exactly he only NEEDED 5 engines to Lewis's 8. Do all the Lewis fans really believe that has nothing at all to do with his reputation of being harder on the car and less capable of finding solutions through settings.

I bet Lewis fans really feel robbed that Mercedes also "sabotaged" Lewis just like they accused Mclaren of doing.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

GPR-A wrote:
marvin78 wrote:Hamilton is an employee. Employees should stick to the employer rules. It's that simple.
An employee who gets paid the highest and more than the group chairman, for nothing?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... deliveries

Why even race? Put in his contract like that of Barrichello that, "YOU SHALL LOSE THE CHAMPIONSHIP TO YOUR TEAM MATE". End of the story.
You know something I was tempted to bring Barrichello up. There is still a smell about Ferrari over that which was 15 years ago.

Pierce89

Stradivarius wrote:Congratulations to Rosberg on a well deserved title. He did not put a foot wrong during these last races and did exactly what he had to do.

It's funny how Hamilton fans claim that Rosberg doesn't deserve the title because Hamilton has one race win more and qualified better, but suffered from reliability issues. I seem to remember that Hamilton's first title in 2008 came under those exact circumstances. Massa won 6 races to Hamilton's 5. Massa suffered an engine failure while in the lead in Hungary with 3 laps to go. Massa was the victim of his team messing up the pitstop in Singapore, sending him away with the fuel hose attached. And in the end Massa lost the title to Hamilton by 1 point.

Rosberg has had a very good season and all the complaints that he didn't beat Hamilton during these last 4 races are quite irrelevant. After Rosberg beat Hamilton in Japan, all he had to do was to stay out of trouble and finish 2nd and that is exactly what he has done. It's easy for Hamilton to beat his team mate when the team mate can afford to be beaten. In the first 17 races it was much harder for Hamilton to beat Rosberg. Besides, Hamilton did have fresher engines at the end.

Regarding the Mercedes team's messages to Hamilton, it is as simple as this: Mercedes has worked hard to get where they are and right now they have the fastest car. Both titles were in the bag and all they could add to that was race victories and possibly 1-2-finishes. Of course, the team wants to cash in these great results while they still can. After this race no one knows who will be fastest and Mercedes may not have the chance to win races for a long time. They would have looked very stupid if Vettel had been able to pass both Mercedes drivers and claim the race win, especially if next year Mercedes falls behind Ferrari and Red Bull and no longer can fight for race wins. And since Rosberg's third place was safe anyway, it would all have been for nothing for Hamilton as well.
I noticed that the Lewis fans have steered well clear of this post. Congratulations to Stradivarius for a well thought out and eloquently written post full of facts and sense. Too bad i can't give you a +1.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

alexx_88
alexx_88

If Lewis feels hard-done by Mercedes he can always leave. Like any employee who's not satisfied with his employer. I wonder who's more likely to be in a championship-winning position this time next year: Mercedes with another driver and Rosberg or Hamilton driving for another team. My bet is on the former.

Pierce89

Restomaniac wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
marvin78 wrote:Hamilton is an employee. Employees should stick to the employer rules. It's that simple.
An employee who gets paid the highest and more than the group chairman, for nothing?

Why even race? Put in his contract like that of Barrichello that, "YOU SHALL LOSE THE CHAMPIONSHIP TO YOUR TEAM MATE". End of the story.
You know something I was tempted to bring Barrichello up. There is still a smell about Ferrari over that which was 15 years ago.
If you compare 2016 to Ferrari and Barrichello, I'm quite sure you'll notice that there's no commonality at all.

Lewis did not do what he needed to do over the course of the season. period. I should also mention that if Lewis didn't go full kamikazi into Barca turn 4, he'd be champion.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Pierce89 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
GPR-A wrote:An employee who gets paid the highest and more than the group chairman, for nothing?

If you compare 2016 to Ferrari and Barrichello, I'm quite sure you'll notice that there's no commonality at all.

Lewis did not do what he needed to do over the course of the season. period. I should also mention that if Lewis didn't go full kamikazi into Barca turn 4, he'd be champion.
Yes that's right he is supposed to see his team mate is 60HP down and just sit behind him like a god little boy.

RedNEO

Pierce89 wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:Congratulations to Rosberg on a well deserved title. He did not put a foot wrong during these last races and did exactly what he had to do.

It's funny how Hamilton fans claim that Rosberg doesn't deserve the title because Hamilton has one race win more and qualified better, but suffered from reliability issues. I seem to remember that Hamilton's first title in 2008 came under those exact circumstances. Massa won 6 races to Hamilton's 5. Massa suffered an engine failure while in the lead in Hungary with 3 laps to go. Massa was the victim of his team messing up the pitstop in Singapore, sending him away with the fuel hose attached. And in the end Massa lost the title to Hamilton by 1 point.

Rosberg has had a very good season and all the complaints that he didn't beat Hamilton during these last 4 races are quite irrelevant. After Rosberg beat Hamilton in Japan, all he had to do was to stay out of trouble and finish 2nd and that is exactly what he has done. It's easy for Hamilton to beat his team mate when the team mate can afford to be beaten. In the first 17 races it was much harder for Hamilton to beat Rosberg. Besides, Hamilton did have fresher engines at the end.

Regarding the Mercedes team's messages to Hamilton, it is as simple as this: Mercedes has worked hard to get where they are and right now they have the fastest car. Both titles were in the bag and all they could add to that was race victories and possibly 1-2-finishes. Of course, the team wants to cash in these great results while they still can. After this race no one knows who will be fastest and Mercedes may not have the chance to win races for a long time. They would have looked very stupid if Vettel had been able to pass both Mercedes drivers and claim the race win, especially if next year Mercedes falls behind Ferrari and Red Bull and no longer can fight for race wins. And since Rosberg's third place was safe anyway, it would all have been for nothing for Hamilton as well.
I noticed that the Lewis fans have steered well clear of this post. Congratulations to Stradivarius for a well thought out and eloquently written post full of facts and sense. Too bad i can't give you a +1.
Agreed, great post!

GPR-A duplicate2

Stradivarius wrote:It's funny how Hamilton fans claim that Rosberg doesn't deserve the title because Hamilton has one race win more and qualified better, but suffered from reliability issues. I seem to remember that Hamilton's first title in 2008 came under those exact circumstances. Massa won 6 races to Hamilton's 5. Massa suffered an engine failure while in the lead in Hungary with 3 laps to go. Massa was the victim of his team messing up the pitstop in Singapore, sending him away with the fuel hose attached. And in the end Massa lost the title to Hamilton by 1 point.
Did Massa suffered alone that year at Ferrari? No. Kimi also had 2 failures. Lewis also had one failure! Shows, the failures were common across the teams. How many failures did Nico had this year?

Massa and Lewis both had 3 "outside points" finishes. How many did Nico got this year? Other than his own brain fade moment.

How many times Lewis and Massa tried to take the other out, like in Austria this year?

See, it is nowhere like 2008.
Stradivarius wrote:Rosberg has had a very good season and all the complaints that he didn't beat Hamilton during these last 4 races are quite irrelevant.
Useless point.
Stradivarius wrote:After Rosberg beat Hamilton in Japan, all he had to do was to stay out of trouble and finish 2nd and that is exactly what he has done. It's easy for Hamilton to beat his team mate when the team mate can afford to be beaten. In the first 17 races it was much harder for Hamilton to beat Rosberg. Besides, Hamilton did have fresher engines at the end.
Stradivarius wrote:Regarding the Mercedes team's messages to Hamilton, it is as simple as this: Mercedes has worked hard to get where they are and right now they have the fastest car. Both titles were in the bag and all they could add to that was race victories and possibly 1-2-finishes. Of course, the team wants to cash in these great results while they still can. After this race no one knows who will be fastest and Mercedes may not have the chance to win races for a long time. They would have looked very stupid if Vettel had been able to pass both Mercedes drivers and claim the race win, especially if next year Mercedes falls behind Ferrari and Red Bull and no longer can fight for race wins. And since Rosberg's third place was safe anyway, it would all have been for nothing for Hamilton as well.
Instead of shaming themselves over in front of the world, why not have a driver who knows how to win it with dignity and not with team's help? Why not preserve their achievements with Sportsmanlike attitude, instead of compromising one individual?
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 28 Nov 2016, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:
bauc wrote:To me its funny when people say the Nico did not deserve the title... Yes HAM is the better driver, I have no doubt about that, I dont think anybody has really. But ROS did win 9 races this year. NINE and yes you can argue that he won some of those 9 races as HAM had a DNF but at the end of the day a win is a win and it goes both ways. If ROS had only 3-4 wins against 10 wins for HAM then I would say totally undeserved title but like this, just one win difference cm'on guys I'm not a ROS fan, far far from it but this is just ridiculous.
And it was not like nobody saw this coming. This outcome was very probable after Japan; I am also perplexed with the amount of controversy this generates.

For the record, to the people who believe Mercedes conspired with Rosberg: What do you think it means for Mercedes when a PU blows up? That's not exactly good marketing. Plus 1,500 workers can say goodbye to a bonus.

Every decision Mercedes made that did not benefit Hamilton, was made solely to benefit the team, just as every decision made that did not benefit Rosberg, was made solely to benefit the team.
Mercedes didn't conspire with Rosberg. Rosberg only knew that they had his back.

The part in bol is exactly correct.. the team wanted Nico to win. Nico winning is a benefit for the team.

I personally wrote off the Champion after the first four rounds. It was a testament to Lewis' speed and consistently that even gave him a chance to fight in the last round.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ab_f1
ab_f1

turbof1 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:] Everything else revolves finishing the race in first or second place, and if that is not achievable, the highest finishing place.
Although I do not think Merc had any motive other than what you stated above, however I do feel the intervention wasn't appropriate.
Also if we keep this as the overall objective and they truly believed that the Win was in question, what was the only option to secure the win after Hamilton's refusal? Ask Nico to overtake. They didn't ask for that and neither would have Nico complied in case he would have been asked.
To me Merc came out as the only looser from this chess game and they were not even in the play.

Another thing which struck me was that Hamilton was driving close to 2 seconds slower at the end and probably 1 sec slower through the race; and still no one was able to catch up. So did Red Bull/Ferrari really closed up through the year?

Roman
Roman

You guys cannot be serious with the "he should have overtaken him" claim. We all know how good the Merc is in clean air, but we equally know that it looses (some/a lot) of its speed once it is in dirty air. That's why Ham had trouble to overtake VES in a TR in Australia or Massa in China, for example, even though he was clearly faster. How do you seriously expect Ros to pass Ham "just like this" while Ham is in the same, fast car? Not even to mention the risk involved....

Apart from this I have to totally agree with Stradivarius. Just to add, Ham did not loose the WDC solely bc of his mechanical failures but also at the starts. Had he started better in Japan or Bahrain (just to name two bad starts) he would have won that WDC. I believe it took him a bit too long to realize that Ros was a serious threat to his WDC ambitions.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pierce89 wrote: Do all the Lewis fans really believe that has nothing at all to do with his reputation of being harder on the car and less capable of finding solutions through settings.
Didn't realise he had such a reputation.

In his rookie year he was hard on tyres but soon got on top of that. As for finding solutions, it's usually Rosberg looking for clues in Hamilton's data...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I struggle to understand what the issue is. Mercedes have won the constructors championship. The only thing that was at stake was the driver's championship. Any driver worth their salt would've done what Hamilton did. I think the problem is that he wasn't upfront and honest about it. Nico wanted to win the WDC, Hamilton made him work for it. Ultimately, it was better for fans watching and in some ways better for Rosberg. He proved his mettle in an incredibly tough situation and personally I think it takes away from the fact that Hamilton had so many mechanical problems in the year. What I mean is, that final race was no gift to Nico. He had to earn it. If Hamilton had done what the team said we would all be on here screaming about how the team gifted him the championship. The team should've just accepted that this would happen from the get go and just stfu up and got on with it.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Wow, entering this thread is like entering an entirely different world :D

With Nico winning this title it makes the Merc the absolute most dominant car of the last decades where both drivers were able to get the championship with no other competitor anywhere close to having a chance.

MSC, VET both had close fights with the team mates not even second in the WDC. This is now even more than before the absolute proof in numbers.

Well driven by HAM trying all he could to keep the dream alive to the last moments. Well driven by Nico, withstanding the pressure, attacking VES who is not known to be the most forgiving driver. I sincerely believe the last races he just drove to the target of becoming 2nd. Why risk collisions or abuse the car if all you need to do is becoming a safe 2nd?

Well done also to VET and VES for keeping it clean in the last race. Would have been a shitstorm had either driver ruined HAM's or ROS's day.