[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

rjsa wrote:I didn't get an email :(
Give Chris chance

rjsa
rjsa

It’s my first race, I don't know how it flows so I'm a bit anxious;)

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 19:03
I compared OF1606+ and OF4.1 results: the difference is very very small (less than 2%)
oh cr*p...

last place again I guess...

at least this time I know what's wrong AND I have the CFD sorted, AND i'm using parametric CAD so should be easier to make modifications...

I had higher hopes
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

You are not last yet, one simulation is still running.

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 09:00
A question about the rules: may rear view mirrors be modeled in order to generate lift? I mean: not a neutral shape.
Send me an email with an image. At the moment the rules on the mirror mounts and shrouds are vague, we may need to add more details to the rule so it's clear what is and isn't allowed.

RicME85 wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 18:45
Chris - re legality check. In mine you mentioned the diffuser fences should be in a separate file, the diffuser was generated from the online geometry tool hence the parts being in one file. I didn't want to separate them and ruin the geometry. If they really have e to be separated then that's something that could do with being changed on the tool if possible (Andre?)
This is something I forgot to take into account - for now, if the floor is generated using the CAESES tool then you can continue submitting the diffuser and vanes together as a single part.

etsmc
etsmc

Have been thinking about the cooling flow and how the front of the car is affecting it.
Would it be an idea to have a finer mesh on the suspension components? I have thought about running 2 tests side by side to see if the effects are worth it of not, is it as simple as placing the suspension geometry in the High_Res folder along with the other parts?
Has anyone else thought about or tried this?

I have had my legality checks back a couple of things to fix up for the next race, the one thing I was concerned about passed. See if you can spot it when Andre releases the renders.

Another thing that might be handy for the post processing tool would be to output an image of the monitoring surface.

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 06:29
Have been thinking about the cooling flow and how the front of the car is affecting it.
Would it be an idea to have a finer mesh on the suspension components? I have thought about running 2 tests side by side to see if the effects are worth it of not, is it as simple as placing the suspension geometry in the High_Res folder along with the other parts?
Has anyone else thought about or tried this?
Please give it a try. You are right, it is only a matter of placing these parts into the high res folder.

etsmc wrote:
I have had my legality checks back a couple of things to fix up for the next race, the one thing I was concerned about passed. See if you can spot it when Andre releases the renders.
Avoiding Chris's eagle's eyes is something you should be proud of. I always see his emails for you guys. I have no idea how he always spots everything so fast.

etsmc wrote:
Another thing that might be handy for the post processing tool would be to output an image of the monitoring surface.
Good, idea. I think I have it implemented in the full version (once someone asked for it). I will see if I can release it for the next version. It would esp. help those guys who tessellate the surface incorrectly. And the more advanced users will see how uniform the flow passes the HX.

etsmc
etsmc

Sorry, another thing.
the results from the latest version do the monitoring surface results still need to be doubled?

also have just started a case with the suspension in the high res folder so will see what that comes back as, won't see the results till Monday though :roll:

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 10:15
Sorry, another thing.
the results from the latest version do the monitoring surface results still need to be doubled?
Yepp

Alonso Fan

How much difference does tessellation of the monitoring surface make to the results?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 16:24
How much difference does tessellation of the monitoring surface make to the results?
http://mantiumchallenge.com/measuring-p ... edia-flow/

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 17:02
Alonso Fan wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 16:24
http://mantiumchallenge.com/measuring-p ... edia-flow/
ah I see

how would you recommend re-tessellating the monitoring surfaces? can it be done in blender?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

In general Blender can do it. I am not sure it works on surfaces though. Meshlab can definitely do it. I have not used it in a while though so I cannot give instructions, right now.

LVDH

I do not have your car available right now but if it is a simple surface you can do it in Blender in the edit mode using the subdivide button.

LVDH

Hi guys,
the car images:
You can find more on the challenge homepage:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/?p=1692&preview=true
While last year we more or less converged to two rather similar concepts, this year every car is very different again esp. in the duct concepts now go through almost all cars. There are many different solutions. How they work will be seen tomorrow...