Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Sieper wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:06
I don't think they are being secretive, earlier this morning (see pics a bit more up) they had the whole package on.

I think they just want confirmation from the driver (Ricci) if indeed the car feels less planted without the flow conditioners in place (as they cost drag, and if Ricci feels fine without them maybe an alternative solution can also be found). Just testing I guess.
Or they could be evaluating both a high and low drag options.

gandharva

Mr.G wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 19:59
gandharva wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 10:49
The sidepod winglets are slitted. We have seen this last year too.
http://abload.de/img/13tsci.jpg
No, that's from suspension... Look on the left one, than back to the right...
No. See yellow circle. Left one ist the slit, right one (straight line) is the mounting.

Sieper

Sharp eye, but i don’t think this is an actual slit, likely a different material is used for the tip, to give it rigidity.

gandharva

Sieper wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:49
Sharp eye, but i don’t think this is an actual slit, likely a different material is used for the tip, to give it rigidity.
I think it's a slit. They already used it in 2017. I think its there to reduce the stiffness of the winglet to allow for some slight flexing.

Sieper

Oooh, yeah! That sounds convincing indeed. A slot for flexing so that the tip can flutter a bit to relieve Some stress, or to create a vortex? Actually, if you watch the filming day 360 degrees camera footage and look back to this winglet you see it flexing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's just a legality slit to match the slot in the floor. Look at it from above.

Sieper

Can you explain what that Means Phillip? I am unaware of the concept?

It does indeed match the Floor:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW9fkDVWAAAQoqV.jpg

So if there is a slit in the floor al body work in a straight line above must match?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The rules don't allow any surface facing downwards to be visible from below unless on the step plane. These parts are above the step plane and there is a slot in something that is on the step plane below. So they add the legality slots so that it "can't be seen from below". If you looked up from below the car, you'd see daylight rather than the aero piece.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Thanks! I just used up my last two plusses on Phillip and Gandharva the slit spotter :) but that was helpfull! Bit of a weird rule, or shall we say it can be worked around in this weird way.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:03
Sieper wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:06
I don't think they are being secretive, earlier this morning (see pics a bit more up) they had the whole package on.

I think they just want confirmation from the driver (Ricci) if indeed the car feels less planted without the flow conditioners in place (as they cost drag, and if Ricci feels fine without them maybe an alternative solution can also be found). Just testing I guess.
Or they could be evaluating both a high and low drag configurations.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It was brought in to stop teams using certain parts to directly generate downforce.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Yes, that plethora of wings on cars we saw like 8 to 10 years ago i think? Those were ugly. So a good rule :)

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

Day 3 testing, Sutton Images shows the RB14 not having the Z wing on again.

McMrocks
McMrocks

As some suggested the slots in the RB14 are probably due to the same raeson as the slots in the FW41 flow conditioner ahead of the sidepods. The cutouts on the FW41 match the slots in the barge boards so that no part of the flow conditioner is seen from underneath the car.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DONJFrRX4AA3yyZ.jpg

Moose
Moose

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 22:30
It was brought in to stop teams using certain parts to directly generate downforce.
It wasn't - it was brought in to stop double diffusers. by not allowing you to see bodywork through any cut in the floor, you could no longer put a top on the second diffuser.