FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vall
vall

Re: FIA introduces £30m budget cap

nudger wrote:dont know if anyone has posted this quote from an interview with max, taken on 1st May. he was responding to ferraris right to veto

“We are saying we’re not interfering with this (Ferrari’s rights), “he says. “We’re saying that all we are doing is bringing new teams in and giving them enough freedom so they can control expenditure. If you want to carry on with unlimited expenditure running at the front we won’t interfere. And we won’t have a cost-capped car running in front of your car so it doesn’t interfere with you because they will be at the back."

first that ive heard the budget teams would be expected to run behind unlimited teams.(or at least, an unlimited ferrari team)
Never seen that! I think FIA said they will tweak the rule from time to time to make sure the two kind of team have on average the same pace

Dukeage
Dukeage

Will they though? If I was Spanky, I'd see the political advantages of making the capped cars faster ...

nudger
nudger

Dukeage wrote:Will they though? If I was Spanky, I'd see the political advantages of making the capped cars faster ...
thats the problem isnt it...the outcome of the championship is decided by the fia, whichever way he plays it.

i have just read an article where bernie is saying the cap will be negociated up to £60M to bring everybody on board... would seem rational, but you cant trust anything bernie says these days

Chaparral

This from Joe Saward - letters from both Mosley & Mozarella regarding the caps/regs change. Mozarella has a point - they (Ferrari) have a written agreement the regs wouldnt be changed by the FIA until 2012 - well unless Im blind thats what Mosley is setting out to do. Mozarella (and FOTA) have a good basis to reject the submission from Mosley although I see in his letter back that he (Mosley) is assured by his lawyers that the FIA can indeed change the rules - how unusual :wtf:

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/20 ... r-max1.pdf

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -luca1.pdf
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

machin

thats the problem isnt it...the outcome of the championship is decided by the fia, whichever way he plays it.
Not if all the teams join the budget cap... which I think they will.... Its not like Ferrari WANT to spend millions and millions of pounds.... I think they're just worried that the budget cap won't be sufficiently enforceable to make it fair....

E.g Could Red Bull tecnologies (or whatever its called)... charge half the design fee to Red Bull Racing and the other half to Torro Rosso, and therefore allow both teams extra budget to spend on other things... (testing... etc)????
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Chaparral

Then toss in the new 2010 (amended) sporting regulations and this whole thing just gets a bit messier - read rule 6.1 just to start with - FOTA were united in not allowing this - Mosley changing the determination of the WDC title after near 60 years of history yet leaving the WDC under the standard guidelines thats just --- with the rules for the sake of it - its just another wedge between FOM/FIA/FOTA - again this I will say will end in tears..........

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... 4-2009.pdf
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

xpensive
xpensive

Chaparral, you set an excellent example of how to back up your point of view, to make them more than empty opinions.

Keep it up!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

nudger
nudger

at the risk of expressing a possibility without anything to back it up....could it be that ferrari's agreement was relating to technical regulations, not sporting regs?

Chaparral

nudger wrote:at the risk of expressing a possibility without anything to back it up....could it be that ferrari's agreement was relating to technical regulations, not sporting regs?
Fair point Nudge - however tech or sport regs doesnt matter - Mosley is changing the agreement with Ferrari read Mozarella's letter again or is it just another (cunning stunt) from Mosley or should it be the other way round when it comes to Mosley - is he indeed a (stunning.........) well whatever fits when it comes to Mosley. No Im in no way a Ferrari fan ..... I like many others get fed up with the soap opera

WhiteBlue

Rule 6.1 is about the drivers championship being decided by the number of wins. That issue is under discussion since more than 9 months. They took it out of the 2009 rules to complie with objections, but said it would be back in 2010.

Personally I don't care if Bernie gets his way with the issue or not. As it is a controversial issue which has political ramification the WMSC is entitled to use it's discretionary powers to settle the issue after this long period of consultations.

If FOTA like it or not isn't the point here. If the rules pass the relevant institutions they must be applied.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

With the risk of being the ignorant, who leaked the communications above, or were they somehow public to begin with?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

is a blog by Joe Saward. He is the journalist behind Grandprix.com. His position is mainly a McLaren Fan and in most cases he has come out against FIA and pro GPMA when there were political issues.

It was said that these document were circulated in the Bahrain paddock, but I have not come across an online source before. My guess is that Ferrari is the most likely leak.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

nudger
nudger

id say most leaks, and there sure are a lot of them in F1, come via paris.

arporter
arporter

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but what is there to stop teams like Ferrari and McLaren running two teams one, unrestricted and one under the fixed budget. Run in a way similar to the red bull situation with same owner but different factories.

If this way of operating would be unacceptable to the fia, does that mean the way red bull / torro rosso operate means that both teams would have to be in or out the budget cap?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

arporter wrote:I'm sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but what is there to stop teams like Ferrari and McLaren running two teams one, unrestricted and one under the fixed budget. Run in a way similar to the red bull situation with same owner but different factories.

If this way of operating would be unacceptable to the fia, does that mean the way red bull / torro rosso operate means that both teams would have to be in or out the budget cap?
Technically, it just may be a loophole. But ask yourself what would happen if the Ferrari budgeted team beat the "A" team? There would be emotional outbursts by Tifosi and those feel betrayed. As well, how can the team principals of the "A" team justify (in front of the Ferrari Board of Directors) asking for the same budget next year when it is known the budgeted team can win just as much, or even more?
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.