2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

They say China is front limited but the high speed left turns are almost flat. You still need good traction for the 5 slow exits.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR
M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 21:26
They say China is front limited but the high speed left turns are almost flat. You still need good traction for the 5 slow exits.
Also the car recovers most of the lap-time on the straights, like the Ferrari.

Mansell89
Mansell89

China will be an interesting test for the car and one I’m looking forward to seeing, as we can learn again about the cars potential and weaknesses.

At least we haven’t got a draggy car with huge problems this year!

Hoping that we can again be solid under braking and on the straights- will be interesting to see how we get on in the other parts of the lap.

I wonder if RBR will be stronger here now that the emphasis is on the front end grip?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Mansell89 wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 21:07
China will be an interesting test for the car and one I’m looking forward to seeing, as we can learn again about the cars potential and weaknesses.

At least we haven’t got a draggy car with huge problems this year!

Hoping that we can again be solid under braking and on the straights- will be interesting to see how we get on in the other parts of the lap.

I wonder if RBR will be stronger here now that the emphasis is on the front end grip?
I think Red Bull will be stronger, to an extent where they can find a reasonable solution before their Barcelona upgrade. But like you said, it will be interesting to see how McLaren perform in China. I think it will be a positive knowing where their weakness is, and they'll hopefully arrive there with some sort of plan.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

At least we will not have to watch Alonso and Vandoorne attempt those useless runs where one tows the other one.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 21:23
At least we will not have to watch Alonso and Vandoorne attempt those useless runs where one tows the other one.
:D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Lucky
Lucky

auto motor und sport has a GPS comparison of six teams in the qualification. Ferrari stands lonely on the straights at the top. Next comes McLaren, which indicates that Renault has found a good performance. From the car but it is also known that still downforce is missing. McLaren loses in the full throttle areas three-tenths on the red rockets.

Red Bull Honda is six-tenths behind. "The Ferrari engine suddenly has the same bang as last year," groaned Adrian Newey. Since the technology guru is not quite right. It is even worse. The Mercedes engineers have meticulously analyzed Ferrari's power play on the straights. It differs significantly from what Ferrari 2018 has hinted at in the middle section of the season
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... rick-2019/

Benii6
Benii6

Lucky wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 10:33
auto motor und sport has a GPS comparison of six teams in the qualification. Ferrari stands lonely on the straights at the top. Next comes McLaren, which indicates that Renault has found a good performance. From the car but it is also known that still downforce is missing. McLaren loses in the full throttle areas three-tenths on the red rockets.

Red Bull Honda is six-tenths behind. "The Ferrari engine suddenly has the same bang as last year," groaned Adrian Newey. Since the technology guru is not quite right. It is even worse. The Mercedes engineers have meticulously analyzed Ferrari's power play on the straights. It differs significantly from what Ferrari 2018 has hinted at in the middle section of the season
From the same article:

''Despite the strong performance, the drivers still speak of mistakes in the car. Norris: "It's far from perfect. We have to drive the car out of some bad qualities. "A new front wing and modified baffles were a first step. The wind tunnel promised a tenth. And exactly one-tenth arrived on the track.''

It seems they have great correlation.

M840TR
M840TR

Benii6 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:00
Lucky wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 10:33

From the same article:

''Despite the strong performance, the drivers still speak of mistakes in the car. Norris: "It's far from perfect. We have to drive the car out of some bad qualities. "A new front wing and modified baffles were a first step. The wind tunnel promised a tenth. And exactly one-tenth arrived on the track.''

It seems they have great correlation.
I'd reckoned it was more than a tenth given the size of the upgrade though.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Probably a tenth in outright pace but a chunk more in the race due to consistancy and having setup/tyre temperature options with more front grip. Mclaren said in testing they weren't going to try changing the setup too much to sort the front understeer and tyre temps, as it would compromise the car too much, when they had parts coming that would solve most of it anyway.

M840TR
M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 13:10
Probably a tenth in outright pace but a chunk more in the race due to consistancy and having setup/tyre temperature options with more front grip. Mclaren said in testing they weren't going to try changing the setup too much to sort the front understeer and tyre temps, as it would compromise the car too much, when they had parts coming that would solve most of it anyway.
Are there more parts coming to sort the problem? If that's the case then it might be in China or Baku.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't know on that front, as I put back in the testing threads, what I heard about was new front BB pieces, boomerang update, front wing - which we've already had - and a high downforce version of the rear wing that's like Renault's concept.
If they've shipped anything else out it's not something I've heard about, small parts and setup work was the aim until the EU leg

Jackles-UK

I don’t see the point in rushing through a high downforce rear wing for China or Baku. China is basically just a series of straights with one or two downforce dependent sections (T1-2 and then T7, 8 & 9) on the lap and Baku is basically a street version of Monza! Better to focus on getting it right for the European legs.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Nobody said anything about rushing through, just they're parts that were being worked on/planned.

M840TR
M840TR

I wonder though if they'll get a low-df rear wing for China or retain the same one...