2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Valkyrie, F1 feel, credibility as a race car building company continuing into the future.

HPD

:lol:

TwanV
TwanV

wow haha, good one!

roon
roon

Four years of having one hand tied behind your back. Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure he does not forget 2015.

dren

HPD wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 15:27
:lol:
https://streamable.com/q5wcf
Ouch! Here's hoping he doesn't have the same feelings towards Honda in one year.
Honda!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 18:45
Four years of having one hand tied behind your back. Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure he does not forget 2015.
They didn't really give credit back in the winning years. That's what rankles with some. Proper partners "win together, lose together". With RedBull, it's "we win, they lose".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 21:02
roon wrote:
They didn't really give credit back in the winning years. That's what rankles with some. Proper partners "win together, lose together". With RedBull, it's "we win, they lose".
That isn't true Vettel and Webber thanked Renault on the podium frequently iirc.
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:13
Just_a_fan wrote:
roon wrote:
That isn't true Vettel and Webber thanked Renault on the podium frequently iirc.
Yeah, but I don't remember Horner and the others on the wall giving Renault their dues.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GhostF1
GhostF1

To be frank.. when the Honda deal was announced, it was RedBull in both their statement and Horner in the press conference thanking Renault, at length, for giving them their championships in the previous eras and for their wins in this formula and for dealing with how demanding they were.

Renault on the other hand... I thought they were unprofessional. The statement released by the company was nothing more than cold and written just as a basic response. "We acknowledge the announcment of Red Bull and Honda".. that was actually it.. and then you've got old mate Abiteboul saying "we'll make you rue the day you left us". There has been zero professional courtesy from their side. I haven't seen one wish of good luck in the future, of which Horner gave Renault many.

So honestly. It's bitter both sides but surprisingly, I'd say it was Red Bull being the most platonic about their relationship. Toro Rosso was similar, claiming there was zero collaboration/working ethic between them and Renault where with Honda it comes in spades.. maybe that says something about Renault..

rscsr

GhostF1 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:25
To be frank.. when the Honda deal was announced, it was RedBull in both their statement and Horner in the press conference thanking Renault, at length, for giving them their championships in the previous eras and for their wins in this formula and for dealing with how demanding they were.

Renault on the other hand... I thought they were unprofessional. The statement released by the company was nothing more than cold and written just as a basic response. "We acknowledge the announcment of Red Bull and Honda".. that was actually it.. and then you've got old mate Abiteboul saying "we'll make you rue the day you left us". There has been zero professional courtesy from their side. I haven't seen one wish of good luck in the future, of which Horner gave Renault many.

So honestly. It's bitter both sides but surprisingly, I'd say it was Red Bull being the most platonic about their relationship. Toro Rosso was similar, claiming there was zero collaboration/working ethic between them and Renault where with Honda it comes in spades.. maybe that says something about Renault..
That is kinda looking at the last several years with rose tinted glasses. RBR did everything they could to get Ferrari or Mercedes engines, but they didn't want them. They all the time complain that they could have won, but with their engine that was all they can do. And Renault has their works program. Of course they don't ask their customers what they would like to have. RBR doesn't even the fuel the Renault engine is developed with.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:16
djos wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:13
Just_a_fan wrote:

Yeah, but I don't remember Horner and the others on the wall giving Renault their dues.
Yeah I don't either. I do recall that Renault had been silly enough to honour the engine freeze and as a result where down on power compared to the Merc - RedBull was mainly winning due to being vastly superior in chassis and aero.
"In downforce we trust"

GhostF1
GhostF1

rscsr wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 00:01
GhostF1 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:25

That is kinda looking at the last several years with rose tinted glasses. RBR did everything they could to get Ferrari or Mercedes engines, but they didn't want them. They all the time complain that they could have won, but with their engine that was all they can do. And Renault has their works program. Of course they don't ask their customers what they would like to have. RBR doesn't even the fuel the Renault engine is developed with.
I'm not discounting that RBR have a role in this. They have been demanding and fair enough to be honest. They wanted a front row engine, the whole field does... McLaren was knocking on Merc's door too, there was even speculation of a crazy Ferrari collaboration.. they went with Renault as a last resort.

Despite this history, I'm still a bit surprised Renault have been as cold as they have been. I even thought Abiteboul's negative comments to the public regarding Honda's competency to lead them to a world title was of poor taste. Rocky history or not, professional courtesy shouldn't go out the window.

carisi2k

I believe that Aston Martin have more to gain by joining the hypercar formula in the WEC then F1. Red Bull helping them to build a winning le mans 24 hour package is a better idea.

carisi2k

Just_a_fan wrote:
roon wrote:
I never heard once in the V8 era when the RB5, RB6, RB7, RB8 and RB9 were winning races and championships them complaign about the V8 Renault provided. Most of the issues in those days seemed to concentrate on how Ferrari and Mercedes seemed to gain power year over year courtesy of "reliability updates" during a period where the engines were supposed to be frozen. The only real issue in those days was a flimsy alternator.

What irked red bull the most was that Renault pushed for these new regulations and were then not anywhere near ready for the regulations when they arrived in 2014. Red Bull have always been against these PU's and would like to go back to 2009 and 2010 when they had no electronic assistance and the cars weighed 100kg less then in 2018.

carisi2k

I suspect most of the problems are also the makings of Cyril. Maybe if someone else was in charge at Renault then things might be better.