Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Red Bull RB5

Of course it will be a rocket, not only does it look very fast and has a funny pull-rod suspension with a heat-protecting cover, Mark Webber has also said that he wants to stay with the team forever!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djos

xpensive wrote:Of course it will be a rocket, not only does it look very fast and has a funny pull-rod suspension with a heat-protecting cover, Mark Webber has also said that he wants to stay with the team forever!
Sounds good to me! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

SoliRossi wrote:Surley there is someone out there that has the expertise to say...its a rocket ship or a lemon.
Er nope.

Not even Newey et al can say that yet as they don't know what the others are up to.

Last years Honda was a rocketship in the grand scheme of things... but was a lemon compared to the rest. 'Tis all relative within a season.

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps you are underestimating the skills on this forum kilcoo, there are lot of people here who can judge the aerodynamic efficiency of a new car just by looking at a picture or two?

jwielage
jwielage

Perhaps you are underestimating the skills on this forum kilcoo, there are lot of people here who can judge the aerodynamic efficiency of a new car just by looking at a picture or two?
Your probably right, while I may not be one of them, I'm sure we have some very bright minds on this forum. However, I will say that with so many rule changes I think that parity in aero efficiency between teams is going to play a relatively smaller role in this year's championship. Here is my rational.

1. The return to slicks, making weight distribution and mechanical grip more important.
2. Kers, team’s solutions could be hit or miss.
3. Reduction in overall downforce. I would think that the more downforce that we crank on these cars the harder it is to efficiently apply it without creating prohibitive amounts of drag.
4. If changes made in aero designs really do yield more passing opportunities I think that drivers will play a bigger role in the outcome of the championship.

Now before you guys tear me a new a$$h_le keep in mind that these are just my opinions, and I in no way claim to be an expert. However, I would love to hear some of your opinions
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:Perhaps you are underestimating the skills on this forum kilcoo, there are lot of people here who can judge the aerodynamic efficiency of a new car just by looking at a picture or two?
Nah, the realities of it are simply hidden in details we cannot see despite staring straight at pictures.

For instance, no-one on this forum can decipher the aerofoil profiles that are being used - we could look at pictures all day and have no idea.

Sure, quite a few of us can look at them, and understand what they are trying to do with this that and the other - as for quantifying how well they've done it - not a chance - not in the turbulent environment an F1 car is in.

Aircraft are a different matter - someone with a good bit of knowledge can have a fair dig at guessing performance parameters. For instance, design top speed is pretty easy to figure out from the Mach cone.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:there are lot of people here who think they can judge the aerodynamic efficiency of a new car just by looking at a picture or two

Oh and I just had to do this :D

(Suitably amended!!)

xpensive
xpensive

:wink:

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

xpensive wrote:Perhaps you are underestimating the skills on this forum kilcoo, there are lot of people here who can judge the aerodynamic efficiency of a new car just by looking at a picture or two?
My point exactly!!! From the comfort of my office I can just view these cars and establish their WDC position, no need for any racing this year!

It was more a question posed to get some discussion going as to what people perceived to be good or bad decisions in its design philosophy. Its been several weeks since we have seen any action and about the only place you can get anything interesting on F1 at the moment are at a couple of forums, so any discussion, no matter how uneducated or possibly incorrect is still welcomed.

I tend to think that the RB5's direction has been a brilliant one, but after being supporting Webber for so long I have grown what you may call cynical, and would not be the least bit surprised if the team have done something that causes the RB5 to spontaneously combust or prehaps need to drive in reverse to keep it reliable or something crazy.

xpensive
xpensive

Seriously, with Newey and Willis as more than proven winners in F1 car-design, an upgraded Renault engine and a boy-wonder together with a crippled but fast and experienced Aussie to drive, there should be very few excuses this year.

Financially, RBR must be one of the more stable teams on the grid, owned by a racing-crazy billionaire who can to buy and sell F1 teams as he pleases, while promoting a product not likely to be very susceptible to the economical downturn.

Besides, if it looks right, it is right. Most of the time anyway.

ISLAMATRON

the question with RBR has been and allways will be reliability.

myurr
myurr

ISLAMATRON wrote:the question with RBR has been and allways will be reliability.
Forever and ever is a very long time (look at how McLaren have transformed themselves over the last two years), but I agree with the general sentiment. The Red Bull may be a blindingly quick car but until they prove otherwise there will be a sneaking suspicion that something mechanical will break at the worst possible time robbing them of valuable results.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:the question with RBR has been and allways will be reliability.
Geoff Willis transformed RBR from fast but fragile to pretty Reliable - lets hope now they are fast and reliable! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

xpensive
xpensive

On the subject of balaclavas, anyone for a wager that RBR will radically re-design the rear suspension over the season?

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

xpensive wrote:On the subject of balaclavas, anyone for a wager that RBR will radically re-design the rear suspension over the season?
You think its not going to work? Prehaps they ahve taken too much of a risk? Im hoping its a master stroke. Been balsy to go in a complete different direction to everyone else.