Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AA_2019
AA_2019

Re: Mercedes W13

Merc's bouncing could be helped by skates.

Info about the RB skate which Ferrari will adopt for the next race, will Merc be adopting the same?

One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

dialtone
dialtone

AA_2019 wrote:
04 May 2022, 00:22

Info about the RB skate which Ferrari will adopt for the next race, will Merc be adopting the same?

I don't think you can test any new parts during tyre testing, that floor was extremely likely already used before. IMHO rather than a metal skate it looks like white from light reflection.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

AMG.Tzan wrote:
04 May 2022, 00:11
Is this the new low downforce rear wing??

https://twitter.com/decalspotters/statu ... to-w-13%2F
They cant wait to get rid of this wing spec :mrgreen:

jacobianminkowski
jacobianminkowski

AA_2019 wrote:
04 May 2022, 00:22

e30ernest wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 11:12
BaSubScribe wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 18:10
People earlier were posting pics of Mercs floor and comparing it to Red Bull's. Can someone post a pic of Red Bull's floor for the side by side comparison?
Here you go:

https://i.imgur.com/pwYc0BH.jpg

Merc on the left, Red Bull on the right.

Edit: Right click and open in new tab to see full image resolution. The Merc image was rather low res compared to the Red Bull's photo, but I did enlarge the Merc's to the Bull's resolution.
the images of the merc floor earlier in the thread show they already have one.

AA_2019
AA_2019

...Mercedes lack someone like Newey or Byrne. They have great engineers without a doubt, but no experienced ones in relation to ground effect cars and regulation changes like that...
[/quote]

Toto needs to understand this
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

_cerber1

It is reported that if the updates in Miami and Barcelona do not have the desired effect, Mercedes will transfer all forces to the 2023 chassis.

Holm86

_cerber1 wrote:
04 May 2022, 13:15
It is reported that if the updates in Miami and Barcelona do not have the desired effect, Mercedes will transfer all forces to the 2023 chassis.
If they don't know how to fix porpoising in the current chassis, it makes no sense to start developing a new one.
I think they need to find out what they are fundamentally doing wrong, before they can start developing in the right direction

Evo2racer
Evo2racer

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... provement/

Let’s hope this is true!

🫶🤝please Mb Amg Petronas F1 team, let’s make this a 3 team battle for the 2 world titles!

dialtone
dialtone

motobaleno wrote:
dialtone wrote:
04 May 2022, 02:02

I don't think you can test any new parts during tyre testing, that floor was extremely likely already used before. IMHO rather than a metal skate it looks like white from light reflection.
apart from the (many) parts that must be homologated before use, I think that there is no such official "new" or "already used part"...parts don't needing homologation do not likey have any official recording in FIA files. So they can be discriminated only on the basis of being compliant or not with the rules...
Of course if someone shows up with an entirely b-spec car at a tyre test maybe some controversies will arise...
No, that’s not accurate. Cost cap considers every part that you put on the car and race during any session or test. If they put a new part, it will impact costs so there is a record of what parts you put on it.

Big Tea

Evo2racer wrote:
04 May 2022, 16:03

Let’s hope this is true!

🫶🤝please Mb Amg Petronas F1 team, let’s make this a 3 team battle for the 2 world titles!
I don't like the sound of “several directions to improve their car".
That makes them sound unsure after saying they know exactly what is wrong last week.

If they know what the culprit is they know which direction. 'Several directions' just sounds like it could be this or this or that or something else entirely.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Big Tea wrote:
04 May 2022, 16:18
Evo2racer wrote:
04 May 2022, 16:03

Let’s hope this is true!

I don't like the sound of “several directions to improve their car".
That makes them sound unsure after saying they know exactly what is wrong last week.

If they know what the culprit is they know which direction. 'Several directions' just sounds like it could be this or this or that or something else entirely.
Indeed.

A "There are several things we can do to try and improve the car" type of statement seems like it needs a "whether any of them will work is anyone's guess!" to follow it up if Mercedes current woes are anything to go by.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Looks like a new fw for merc.... so new they couldn't get the proper fitting Petronas stickers in time!!! :D

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mercedes W13 Front Wing for the Miami GP:

This wing was also in the car in Melbourne

Vía: Albert Fabrega
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 04 May 2022, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

continuum16 wrote:
02 May 2022, 15:25
chrisc90 wrote:
02 May 2022, 13:11
I wonder if they are going to give it to midseason to see what happens. When is the next allocation of wind-tunnel time decided?

They could be looking at everyone's idea's, knocking some drawings up and then running their own simulations in the tunnel when they have much more time than anyone else. Whether this would be more beneficial than a design change and introducing ideas/upgrades along the way is another question.

Im still finding it hard that the computer runs are showing huge possibilities for the design they currently have. Surely after 4 tracks they can bring any issues between computer models and real life into line.

Maybe Russell is right with it being down to suspension setup/type which is why he's campaigning for the active ride heights.
Wind tunnel/CFD restrictions reset on June 30 I believe.

On suspension I don’t think it is a coincidence that the two teams which are seemingly most affected by bouncing are Mercedes and Aston Martin, which share suspension components. Without going too off-topic, think it’s worth noting that Williams, for example, uses their own suspension despite the Mercedes gearbox, and doesn’t seem as affected.
They can lock the suspension to test this. Like no dampers or springs, only tyre.

If they did this and the propoising frequency shifts closer to the tyre natural frequency they can plug that into the computer to determine how much of it can be treated by suspension.

Another way i suppose is to take the suspension movement data from the track and put that on the seven post rig. Then modify the suspension from there to stop the porpoising. This is probably too easy in relative terms so indications are it's an aero problem.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 May 2022, 18:19
continuum16 wrote:
02 May 2022, 15:25
chrisc90 wrote:
02 May 2022, 13:11
I wonder if they are going to give it to midseason to see what happens. When is the next allocation of wind-tunnel time decided?

They could be looking at everyone's idea's, knocking some drawings up and then running their own simulations in the tunnel when they have much more time than anyone else. Whether this would be more beneficial than a design change and introducing ideas/upgrades along the way is another question.

Im still finding it hard that the computer runs are showing huge possibilities for the design they currently have. Surely after 4 tracks they can bring any issues between computer models and real life into line.

Maybe Russell is right with it being down to suspension setup/type which is why he's campaigning for the active ride heights.
Wind tunnel/CFD restrictions reset on June 30 I believe.

On suspension I don’t think it is a coincidence that the two teams which are seemingly most affected by bouncing are Mercedes and Aston Martin, which share suspension components. Without going too off-topic, think it’s worth noting that Williams, for example, uses their own suspension despite the Mercedes gearbox, and doesn’t seem as affected.
They can lock the suspension to test this. Like no dampers or springs, only tyre.

If they did this and the propoising frequency shifts closer to the tyre natural frequency they can plug that into the computer to determine how much of it can be treated by suspension.

Another way i suppose is to take the suspension movement data from the track and put that on the seven post rig. Then modify the suspension from there to stop the porpoising. This is probably too easy in relative terms so indications are it's an aero problem.
I would think they have done your latter comment long ago. If they need to redesign the suspension, it might just be taking some time. It's not the work of a minute.