Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

Re: Mercedes W13

GrizzleBoy wrote:
04 May 2022, 16:51
Big Tea wrote:
04 May 2022, 16:18
Evo2racer wrote:
04 May 2022, 16:03
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... provement/

Let’s hope this is true!

🫶🤝please Mb Amg Petronas F1 team, let’s make this a 3 team battle for the 2 world titles!
I don't like the sound of “several directions to improve their car".
That makes them sound unsure after saying they know exactly what is wrong last week.

If they know what the culprit is they know which direction. 'Several directions' just sounds like it could be this or this or that or something else entirely.
Indeed.

A "There are several things we can do to try and improve the car" type of statement seems like it needs a "whether any of them will work is anyone's guess!" to follow it up if Mercedes current woes are anything to go by.
Well, there could be more than one solution to the problem and so I read it as meaning they need to find out which option is best to pursue - it may well be a combination of them. It doesn't necessarily mean they haven't found a solution.

continuum16

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 May 2022, 18:19
continuum16 wrote:
02 May 2022, 15:25
chrisc90 wrote:
02 May 2022, 13:11
I wonder if they are going to give it to midseason to see what happens. When is the next allocation of wind-tunnel time decided?

They could be looking at everyone's idea's, knocking some drawings up and then running their own simulations in the tunnel when they have much more time than anyone else. Whether this would be more beneficial than a design change and introducing ideas/upgrades along the way is another question.

Im still finding it hard that the computer runs are showing huge possibilities for the design they currently have. Surely after 4 tracks they can bring any issues between computer models and real life into line.

Maybe Russell is right with it being down to suspension setup/type which is why he's campaigning for the active ride heights.
Wind tunnel/CFD restrictions reset on June 30 I believe.

On suspension I don’t think it is a coincidence that the two teams which are seemingly most affected by bouncing are Mercedes and Aston Martin, which share suspension components. Without going too off-topic, think it’s worth noting that Williams, for example, uses their own suspension despite the Mercedes gearbox, and doesn’t seem as affected.
They can lock the suspension to test this. Like no dampers or springs, only tyre.

If they did this and the propoising frequency shifts closer to the tyre natural frequency they can plug that into the computer to determine how much of it can be treated by suspension.

Another way i suppose is to take the suspension movement data from the track and put that on the seven post rig. Then modify the suspension from there to stop the porpoising. This is probably too easy in relative terms so indications are it's an aero problem.
I don't think suspension is the sole problem, and certainly aero is a big part of it. It's more of the fact that redesigning the suspension could be a lot more time consuming than, say, putting a floor stay on, adding a so-called "ice skate" underneath the floor, making cuts in the floor edge, or bringing tweaked front and rear wings. This would contribute to the fact that solving the problem is not straightforward or fast.

I'm not super well-versed in suspension details, but from a high-level view, say that the team runs simulations/experiments and determines that the ideal suspension setup is not possible with the current hardware (be it specific geometry, stiffness, or whatever else). Generally I concur that the most influential aspect in eliminating porpoising comes from aerodynamics, but I just found it interesting that the teams which share suspension components seem to have similar problems.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

pursue_one's

According to Motorsport Italy, Mercedes is convinced that they have found the keys to the W13’s lack of competitiveness.

Also, While waiting to find out what Mike Elliott's engineers have prepared for the 5th race (we are talking about a weight reduction of 3 kg), we must be content with observing the front wing of the W13 which was designed for the Miami straight.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... /10287593/

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

pursue_one's wrote:
05 May 2022, 12:27
According to Motorsport Italy, Mercedes is convinced that they have found the keys to the W13’s lack of competitiveness.

Also, While waiting to find out what Mike Elliott's engineers have prepared for the 5th race (we are talking about a weight reduction of 3 kg), we must be content with observing the front wing of the W13 which was designed for the Miami straight.

The front wing is the same as the one used in Melbourne, it’s not a new wing for Miami

AA_2019
AA_2019

The front wing is the same as the one used in Melbourne, it’s not a new wing for Miami
[/quote]

Got a pic from Melbourne ?
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

AA_2019
AA_2019

More info on the Skates that could help the bouncing problems of the w13...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/tech- ... /10287613/
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

F1Krof

pursue_one's wrote:
05 May 2022, 12:27

Toto started to sound like a broken record. There is no fix.
Wroom wroom

AeroDynamic

Mercedes new rear wing

New front wing

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Finally, a wing with a decent DRS flap

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Is this the OG front wing from bahrain? Doesnt have the wavey trailing edge

AeroDynamic

Mchamilton wrote:
05 May 2022, 19:39
Finally, a wing with a decent DRS flap
Comparison

cplchanb
cplchanb

Anyone have an earlier race fw pic for comparison?

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Would I be right in thinking that would be classed as a lower downforce rear wing when compared to Jeddah?

I'm thinking they must be confident in being able to run the car lower to generate downforce?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That Miami wing looks like a proper effort, and not just a cut and paste job from Jeddah. lol.

pursue_one's