Bahrain GP 2012 - Sakhir

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Bahrain GP 2012 - Sakhir

I definitely agree with those saying W03 will have a more difficult time managing tires due to heat. Michael will definitely outperform Nico here specifically due to this as it seems Michael is better at coping with tires than Nico is, and Nico seems to operate at his best when everything is spot on perfect (who wouldn't?). I'll give Mclaren the pole here with at least one W03 in the top 3. W03 should do very well with all the braking zones here as it is a very stable machine so I'll say a podium is very possible but I don't think a win is.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

I have a feeling that a win might not be on the cards. But it would be nice to see a Merc on the podium atleast.

Also Schumacher had a bad season beginning in 2011 too. This is just bringing back bad memories.

raymondu999

According to Xevi Pujolar: 1 DRS zone, Detection zone before braking T14 and Activation zone start finish straight after T15 (after 270m)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:Bahrain has a lot of straight line, so probably would be a good bet. I'd say a mechanically good car would do well here. Bit of a start stop circuit IMO, and really, other than 6-7 and turn 11, not much otherwise where peak downforce really helps. In 2010 it might've helped in the infield, but that's gone now! And now traction and braking are the name of the game.
yeh it is a pointy squirty circuit, similar to Hockenheim. I think the cars with the best mechanical grip will do well. I think it will be a close race between RB, Merc and Mclaren.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:6 - in the infield. It's gone now. (5 was the left hand kink into the infield complex, then 6 was the right hand kink. Then you braked for the left hander of 7. Just a hundredth before you start braking, the bump is there. The Ferrari was just cruising over it like there was no bump, Red Bull lifted slightly, but the McLaren was lifting and coasting completely over the bump)
YEh i remember Mclaren ran very stiff suspension that year for their double diffuser, which meant they struggled on any bumps (Monaco was another poor race for them). Ferrari on the other hand was very strong mechanically.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

myurr wrote:I would tend to agree. I think Mercedes will do well in qualifying but will burn their tyres up in the race in the hotter temperatures. The circuit should suit McLaren as I think they have the best car mechanically, have a strong DRS system, and seem to have a good compromise between downforce and straight line speed for those faster sections. I think they'll be second only to Red Bull in the race with RB mainly having better tyre life with Vettel.

Ferrari are likely to struggle in the race, in my opinion. I think they'll overheat their rear tyres and get poor life out of them.
Temperatures may be hotter but there is not an abundance of long high/medium speed corners like there are in say Hungary or Malaysia so tyre degredation may not be as bad as some expect.

Have to agree on Ferrari, the traction demands of the circuit may mean they end up spinning their rear tyres alot.

raymondu999

Anyone can see that over half the Bahrain lap is just traction, straight, and braking. The track layout on paper suits Mercedes, at the very least for qualifying. Just because someone says a team will do well, doesn't mean they're biased. Especially if it's a team that has proven it can dominate a race.
Last edited by Richard on 18 Apr 2012, 09:39, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Removed quote of a post that has been deleted.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Ferraripilot wrote: Michael will definitely outperform Nico here specifically due to this as it seems Michael is better at coping with tires than Nico is, and Nico seems to operate at his best when everything is spot on perfect (who wouldn't?). ..
The odds for pole:

Lewis Hamilton 2.52
Nico Rosberg 5.2
Jenson Button 6.2
Michael Schumacher 8
Sebastian Vettel 12.5
Mark Webber 13
Kimi Räikkönen 16.5
Fernando Alonso 30
Romain Grosjean 32
Kamui Kobayashi 38
Sergio Perez 40
Pastor Maldonado 150
Bruno Senna 150
Felipe Massa 150
Paul di Resta 250
Jean-Eric Vergne 250
Daniel Ricciardo 250
Nico Hülkenberg 250

They aren't that definite about Michael outperforming Nico. In actual fact it is more likely the thing goes the other way round when you let the money talk.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

In qualifying Nico will be faster I think. But not in the race.

And I don't even think the Mercedes will get tire problem due to the heat. Ross Brawn said they just have to find the right setup. If they do so, the tires will work, not depending on the temperature.

Guisson

Qualifying:
:arrow: Hamilton
:arrow: Rosberg
:arrow: MSC
Race:
:arrow: Hamilton
:arrow: Button
:arrow: Nico/MSC

Anyway I prefer waiting for FP1 & 2 thus having a "clearer" structure of the hierarchy.

((BTW I don't expect neither the RBs nor the Ferraris to improve there.
And I don't exclude tyre issues for M.Amg as the track s temperature is way higher than China.))
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

ell66
ell66

I see either hamilton or one of the merc on pole, with a mclaren or possibly RBR winning the race.
have a feeling schu might be a good bet for pole.

will be intresting to see how the tyres behave at such high temperatures on a track which requires good traction.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Lotus might surprise us too. Raikkonnen seems confident that they'll be fast here.

raymondu999

This year's been 2009-esque bonkers so far. I'll reserve judgment until after FP2 at the very least, though I suspect the pecking order in race as well as qualifying will be similar to Australia
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kris
kris

Would teams have arrived in bahrain?
How many days prior to the race do teams actually reach the host city? What is the lead time for building up their cars?

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

raymondu999 wrote:This year's been 2009-esque bonkers so far. I'll reserve judgment until after FP2 at the very least, though I suspect the pecking order in race as well as qualifying will be similar to Australia
But both Mercs weren't even in the points in Australia. :lol: