The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

RicerDude

Re: The new engine sounds

Did anyone hear that scream at high speed on the inters? Maybe it was the sound of the tread on the Tarmac like the buzzing sound you get from off road tyres?

mnmracer
mnmracer

CriXus wrote:
timbo wrote:I feel that FOM does something wrong to the sound on broadcast. When all those vids from tests appeared I thought the sound was not that bad, but on official broadcast it is horrible. Especially on onboards.
I wonder if FOM applies some filtering for whatever reason, and filter settings were not adjusted for V6s.
Yeah, after i watched FP3 on SkySports, i am quite sure that is the only explanation for the poor sound. I watched plenty of videos on YouTube and the cars sounded very good.
I had a feeling the cars sounded different in qualifying.

gray41

I was too busy watching the amazing action to even think about the sound.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

bhall
bhall

gray41 wrote:I was too busy watching the amazing action to even think about the sound.
Yeah, a more compelling sound probably wouldn't have allowed that to happen.

CHT
CHT

Felt like I was watching Australia Open on TV. The cheers from the grandstand is now louder than the car I think. At least on TV.

neilbah
neilbah

it reminds me a little of a tkm gokart - an element of 2 stroke in the sound.. although they can rev a lot higher..

el-Magico
el-Magico

This is a horror, during wintertest i thought the engine sounded ok..
But now, it is horrible.. Onboard camera hardly makes you hear it.. Also when passing by on the track.

Real shame!
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

heidenreich27
heidenreich27

Like the sound we can hear now fans :D

ernos5

They sound absolutely crap in person, today I was right near them about 10 metres away, and I was able to watch a big screen television and hear everything that was being said as the cars were going past me at that close distance away. Every other category of racing today was louder than the F1 cars...Thanks FIA you ducks :evil: :evil: :evil:

rich1701
rich1701

What can be done to increase the volume of the engines without too much modification?

heidenreich27
heidenreich27

Sorround system on the exhaust ;)

Rhodium

like i tell since lot of time, i hate this sound, i hate this "power unit" (a truth, you can see, nobody have balls to call that shame "an engine")... and i hate the new rule who create monsters on the track.

2014 is the worse year for F1, since 1950... i'm really angry.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Sounds much better in person than on tv. The old v8's only sound good when they're 500m away and you hear the sound reverberating in the environment.

SectorOne

Sound is mega. You can even hear the tires now which is awesome. Also the fact that i could hear the crowd go nuts when Ricciardo went over the line gave me goosebumps.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Shakeman

timbo wrote:I feel that FOM does something wrong to the sound on broadcast. When all those vids from tests appeared I thought the sound was not that bad, but on official broadcast it is horrible. Especially on onboards.
I wonder if FOM applies some filtering for whatever reason, and filter settings were not adjusted for V6s.
I'm not sure which test sounds you're referring to whether it's the Sky coverage or fan footage but there's lots of reasons for the difference in sound.

A lot of the fan footage sounded much rawer which is highly likely due to clipping on relatively cheap audio preamps in consumer phones and cameras that can't deal with the dynamic range or volume of an F1 engine. Even the Sky test coverage will have been done in a fairly unsophisticated way with a sound man/mixer recording straight onto the camera which will be no match for an FOM race weekend production.

In a broadcast environment you aren't so much concerned with recreating reality, you can't because your available bandwidth is so much more restricted, you have to focus on getting across a "flavour" of the sound. I suspect the sound of the inboards will have been given a great deal of thought about what the viewer would want to hear. We've gone from a harmonically rich power cord last year to a discordant symphony this year with lot more sounds that have to be balanced for the audience.

You've also got to take into consideration the broadcast specification for sound is quite strict and always like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.