New quali format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Spencifer_Murphy

I agree, the whole Idea is good, I like it. Except I didnt like the 3rd session where all the drivers were just circulating to burn off fuel.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Tom

As the commentators suggested, if you want to see someone circle around trying to burn fuel, go to Heathrow.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Mixed feelings. For the last ten minutes, the most important, the TV crews nor myself knew who and what to focus on. I never saw any complete balls-out laps by anyone, just little clips of so-and-so crossing the line, and so on. Only util the session was closed di the results come up. I may as well have spept in and checked the web for the results when I woke up. For me, zero excitement as far as the actual dram of qualifying.
I was fortunate in that one TV feed, TSN was live, while the Speedchannel was five minutes delayed. I would watch the live event on TSN, scratch my head, then watch the same thing five minutes later,and still wonder where the exitement was.

zac510
zac510

DaveKillens wrote:Mixed feelings. For the last ten minutes, the most important, the TV crews nor myself knew who and what to focus on. I never saw any complete balls-out laps by anyone, just little clips of so-and-so crossing the line, and so on.
Yeah I know the feeling, I spent most of the last 5 minutes staring at my hosuemate's laptop (live timing). But it was similar with the old qualifying system that the punters remember so fondly. Now there is 8 cars on track that could be potential pole sitters where in the past (90s) there were only 3 or 4 that were seriously in with a chance.

f1.redbaron

Scuderia_Russ wrote:
What's wrong with it?
What bugs me, personally, about it is the two-tier qualifying system. Half of the grid is allowed to refuel, the other isn't...not to mention that the audience doesn't know the true pace of any car out there.

However, I will agree with a point that some people made...maybe it takes some getting used to. But then again, Max will probably change it next year with something even more complex.

Scuderia_Russ

f1.redbaron wrote:[
What bugs me, personally, about it is the two-tier qualifying system. Half of the grid is allowed to refuel, the other isn't.
This should point towards overtaking in the midfield hopefully. We'll find out tommorrow.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Sawtooth-spike

Scuderia_Russ wrote: What's wrong with it?
I just felt after the first 2 sessions it was a little pointless. It felt like a 15 minutes parade lap. Last 5 minutes were good. Watching cars burn fuel is not really great TV.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild
manchild

Sawtooth-spike wrote:I just felt after the first 2 sessions it was a little pointless. It felt like a 15 minutes parade lap. Last 5 minutes were good. Watching cars burn fuel is not really great TV.
That is why I liked one hour free sessions - first 30 minutes you see the action in pits, preparations, celebrities, yachts in Monaco, pit babes... you know - the atmosphere on track and than the action slowly heats up.

What we have now is a train of cars with no one allowing anyone a clear track and real flying lap. Also, this new system is absolutely not TV friendly because they run in train and the position in train has nothing to do with speed of the car. So it looks like a race but actually is not a race and not the flying laps either. Mixing water and wine kind of thing...

pompelmo
pompelmo

It's great :wink:

Sawtooth-spike

the old one hour was great, all it needed was the teams coming out a little earlyer, maybe just force the Teams to do X number of laps every 15 mins.
But Like Lotus those days are gone, Max and bernie are in control ](*,) , this is what we have and i dont for one dont think its all that bad. (other than the last session)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

jezzwa

I quite like the new system but it really is not very TV friendly, it is impossible to see what all the drivers were doing unlike the single lap qualy, and i think the final session should be on low fuel as well :)
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

dumrick
dumrick

Tom wrote:As the commentators suggested, if you want to see someone circle around trying to burn fuel, go to Heathrow.
And it is quite image-damaging, in an era where petrol costs rise and reserves are ending, to see a sport where, for 15 minutes, the cars are just burning fuel around in old tyres, with no competitive interest. I agree that the first 2 session are great, last session should drop the "start with race fuel load" rule.

mep

Taking the fuel load from quali to race is the best rule they made during the last few years because it gives much more possipilities in race strategie.
In earlier times we had only one or two stops per driver.
Now we can see 1,2,3 or even 4 stop strategies.
This makes the race much more interresting for those who really understand formula one.
And the drivers get the points after the race and not after quali so
who cares about quali?

acer

mep wrote:
Taking the fuel load from quali to race is the best rule they made during the last few years because it gives much more possipilities in race strategie.
This makes the race much more interresting for those who really understand formula one.
who cares about quali?

qualifying determines who will start first, second............that's what quali is all about..all racing series have quali :wink:
You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. - Ayrton Senna

Scuderia_Russ

acer wrote:mep wrote:
who cares about quali?

qualifying determines who will start first, second............that's what quali is all about..all racing series have quali :wink:
Yep, it's Ranger alright. :lol:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-