Alsono's victory dance

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

That gesture was to describe something beginning with F indeed but it wasn't Fighting :lol:
Last edited by manchild on 18 Mar 2006, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Gosh - they do horrible things to bulls...worse than I thought :shock: :shock:

Jason

RH1300S wrote:Gosh - they do horrible things to bulls...worse than I thought :shock: :shock:
You mess with the bull, you get the horns :mrgreen:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Scuderia_Russ

Couldn't find this PETA story anywhere, apart from Autosport but I can't access the news because my subscription ran out last week. Found this on the Planet F1 forum of all places.

Alonso's posturing upsets PETA

Friday, March 17th 2006, 15:00 GMT

Animal rights organization PETA are again attempting to gain publicity for animal rights - but they have picked the wrong example.

Indian MP Maneka Gandhi, on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has interpreted Fernando Alonso's posturing during the Bahrain Grand Prix as a mimicking of the motions of a bullfighter.

Gandhi has therefore written a letter criticising Formula One's world champion.

The Renault driver was seen posturing on top of his car and on the podium after finishing the Sakhir event, and, after the Spaniard refused to explain the move, speculation has been rife about the possible explanation.

The posturing, however, is believed to have nothing to do with bullfighting, and Spanish media claim Alonso's move was an imitation of actor Jim Carrey in the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Gandhi said attempting to glorify bullifight offends millions of opponents of animal abuse.

"The torment of a living being and his subsequent repeated stabbing and often slow death, as well as the removal of his ears, is barbaric and no longer acceptable by any humane standards", wrote Gandhi.

"Even in Spain, awareness is growing fast, and some towns have already banned this crude, cruel and cowardly spectacle."

In the past, PETA had called to ban the habit of drinking milk at the Indianapolis 500 podium because it was a "beverage born out of cruelty to baby calves" and a "racist drink."

:lol: WTF?!

Sawtooth-spike

did you not know they put calves in blenders to make milk? :wink: thats how milks made, i know becasue TV told me.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Scuderia_Russ

Mad innit! Some people are only happy if they are unhappy (if you know what I mean.)

Tom

Alonso's Spanish.
In his county I believe bull fighting is a huge event, he has no problemwith bull fighting, I'm sure, he may have been immitating his towns heros, but I bet he didn't do it to insult bulls.

South Park did a brilliant skit on PETA.

Anyone?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

f1.redbaron

Now do you understand why I wrote this:

f1.redbaron wrote:All I can do is shake my head...

manchild
manchild

I don't know what Alonso had in mind or what PETA had in mind but if you'd make a raid at Mcdonalds, KFC or some steak house and took their regulars for a tour trough the slaughter house I'm sure very few of them would eat meat again.

Problem is in fact that we are used on meat as kids without knowing how it gets to our plates and in modern society even the most of the grownups that eat meat have never actually killed an animal to eat it but only bought prepared meat in shops. After I’ve become older and lived trough some things I’ve stopped eating meat because I don’t think that a creature that lives, breaths and has emotions should be killed so that I’d eat piece of meat instead of potatoes or some other vegetable.

45.000.000.000 (45 billion) animas are killed every year to become food for humans. Just think how our planet would seam to some superior civilization observing us from space – 6 billion people killing 45 billion animals every year! Scientific reports mention that if people weren’t breeding animals for food same soil used for growth of food for animals would be enough to end hunger in the world.

I'm not going to put awful pics from some slaughter house here because I find in inappropriate but for those who think they can handle it there is google.

Sorry for being OT, but this wasn’t serious topic from the beginning :wink:

Tom

I'm not a vegitarian but I respect your opinions.

I doubt many of the products bought from the fast food chains you mentioned have ever even known an animal.

An exageration I know, but sickeningly little of what is found in chicken nuggets, is actually chicken.

I agree that far too many animals are slaughtered, and too much meat wasted but I believe it is important to eat meat because thats the way humans have evolved. We are meat eaters. The great Adrian Newey in the sky designed us to eat meat. Thats why I take the mic out of PETA and over the top orginisations such as.

This topic has suddenly become very somber and I've forgotten the point I was trying to make so I'll shut up.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

f1.redbaron

Well, since I was the one who brough up this whole PETA thing, I would like to reply to your post, manchild.

I have, in no way, meant to offend you or anybody else. As you can probably imagine, I'm not a vegetarian and I have no problem eating meat. However, I fully respect your right to choose what you want to eat.

That said, there is no doubt in my mind that everybody here (I'm taking the liberty of including you, too) will agree that drawing up parallels between Alonso's victory dance and cruelty against animals is just...idiotic!

Scuderia_Russ was right...some people are just not happy unless they have something to complain about.

Again, sorry if I offended you.

manchild
manchild

Tom, no offence intended just trying to additionally explain myself…

I think that we are continuously evoluting and therefore what one could call upon now by saying that "great Adrian Newey in the sky had intended that for us" has the same amount of certainty as when 500 years ago someone was saying that all men are not created equal, that people can own, buy, sell and kill other people, that woman can't have education, that heretics should be burned at stake etc.

What is normal to us at this right moment doesn’t mean that it will be considered normal 10 or 100 years from now. That is why I think that we shouldn’t slave to any traditions and customs without analyzing them including our “traditional” nutrition because if we act like clones of our parents and repeat things learned from them without question them and making them better than our lives won’t have any value at all.

Majority will never lead the way but that is why smart people like this forum members must dare to take risk and go beyond “normal”, “traditional” or “common”. Many problems of humanity are actually caused by societies or by groups with restricted human freedoms where majority of obedient non-thinkers choke minority of elite that should lead them to prosperity because "tradition" prevails over everything else - from political and religious dogmas all the way to what we started talking about here – the treatment of animals that share this planet together with us.

I mean, things are changing, so if we have created a planet where our nutrition requires no more killing because there are plenty crops, plants and vegetables why wouldn't we change in that area too?

I'm not the one who thinks that people should be forced to become vegetarians, no - I think that a person can truly be vegetarian if that person realizes WHY on its own, otherwise it would be hypocrite.

BTW, I find PETA's statement about Alonso totaly idiotic too.
Last edited by manchild on 19 Mar 2006, 00:55, edited 2 times in total.

Tom

I thought I'd offended you Manchild.

Sorry.

Again though you (irritatingly) are making more sense than anyone else and I agree with your points about breaking new ground, and I think we all agree that PETA are being plane silly.

So lets forget all this and concentrate on the racing. (and my abiysmall spelling)

manchild
manchild

No no... No reason to apologize. I wasn't offended at all.

No worries :wink:

Tom

Anyway I'm pleased Aloso is showing the spirit of racing drivers rather than being faceless corporate machines.
Last edited by Tom on 19 Mar 2006, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.