2018 French Grand Prix, Le Castellet, June 22-24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 French Grand Prix, Le Castellet, June 22-24

It looks from Lewis's onboard lap guide that the whoever gets turns 5/6 right will be in a good place on the straight. It looks like traction out of 6, particularly, will be crucial to overtaking/defending.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

matt_b
matt_b

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 09:34
It looks from Lewis's onboard lap guide that the whoever gets turns 5/6 right will be in a good place on the straight. It looks like traction out of 6, particularly, will be crucial to overtaking/defending.
Exactly with a good exit out of turn 6 flat through the kink of turn 7, open DRS then late on the breaks into the chicane. I'm hopeful of some overtakes this weekend.

iotar__

santos wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:24
A few years ago, fans complained about the new tracks… F1 goes to an old track, people still complaining…
Really, it's getting anoying Reading comments… Monaco almost doesn't have any straight, people say that no longer should be in modern F1… this track, with long straight, fast corners, it's reasonably wide… also doesn't should be in modern F1.
- So true, remember whining about lap times in Monaco? Let's ignore that Senna's, Schumacher's super ones were slower. Now they're breaking records and whiners don't care #-o . Also what's the obession with overtaking, current fake hot topic?

- from the onboard lap and driving perspective track looks fine, 2,5 straights, long enough although not perfect for overtaking, technical parts are technical, a bit like Hungary or maybe Spain.

- Top three should be close, I'd bet on Ferrari. Merc's engine update would have been much more useful in Canada.

zioture
zioture

The Hardest Braking Point - Grand Prix of
France
Video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8V1_HE ... e=youtu.be

F1NAC

matt_b wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 10:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
Exactly with a good exit out of turn 6 flat through the kink of turn 7, open DRS then late on the breaks into the chicane. I'm hopeful of some overtakes this weekend.
how much will dirty air play with their ability to stay flat through? Also that chicane isn't that slow so no late braking and such things. Overtake will need to be done before chicane

Here is a bit faster onboard lap

astracrazy
astracrazy

matt_b wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 10:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
But 3, 4, 5 will produce too much dirty air imo. If it was slower then I would agree. The lewis lap is quiet steady, the red bull lap is a bit quicker and tells a different story.

Having said that. I think with the technicality of the track, off camber corners, bumps and maybe even how hard it is to see the chicanes because of the multiple lay outs, we are going to get a few mistakes around here and could be tough on the tyres - so that could give us some action.

The track has a bit of a suzuka feel to me for some reason.

Also, are we going to get a lot of tyres ruined by the run off here? I heard if drivers go over it then it ruins where tyres?

Andres125sx

santos wrote:
A few years ago, fans complained about the new tracks… F1 goes to an old track, people still complaining…
Really, it's getting anoying Reading comments… Monaco almost doesn't have any straight, people say that no longer should be in modern F1… this track, with long straight, fast corners, it's reasonably wide… also doesn't should be in modern F1.

Maybe the problems are not the tracks…
Are you really expecting the whole internet/F1 fans community to agree on something? :roll:

godlameroso

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 18:18
santos wrote:

Are you really expecting the whole internet/F1 fans community to agree on something? :roll:
We can all agree it's going to rain during qualifying.
Saishū kōnā

GPR-A duplicate2

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 18:18
santos wrote:

As part of growing, there comes a point when your entire wardrobe becomes useless as you have outgrown them. The strengths and demands of modern F1 cars are vastly different to that of cars from a decade or two ago. If a track like Montreal couldn't offer a proper racing fight for the leading group, you have to understand that there is something not right. Either you change the cars back to suit them to the circuits the way they exist, OR change the layout of the circuits to suit the strengths of the modern cars. I don't see it to be any tougher to understand.

A decade or two from now, when FIA would have made enormous progress on Safety and the cars breach 400 kph barrier and move closer to 500 kph (if F1 doesn't get there, I am sure some other series would get there, the new test for maglev is 600 kph for normal passenger usage, where would Maglev be in 20 years and how would F1 appear in front of ordinary train journey), should these circuits remain the way they are? OR Should they change to accommodate the demands of those cars? It's like either you get stuck in the past or change to accommodate the future. Change is the only constant, to the cars and to the circuits.

F1Krof

Looks like a happy hunting ground for Ferrari tbh. Track has similarities that of China and Bahrain.
I predict another Vettel Pole & Victory. Good luck catching him.
Wroom wroom

JonoNic

Re: WEC GTP

Are there only grass banks for spectators? I can't see any grandstands. I know this doesn't affect the spectacle of racing, but it's not like other tracks.
Always find the gap then use it.

cplchanb
cplchanb

GrayGreat wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 20:03
Mercedes will dominate because of the changed tyre construction. Hamilton fans will relate it to superior Hamilton driving. Mercedes fans will say its because the new PU has XX amount of HP more than the 'lame' Ferrai PU and Valterri fans will say, wait, does he have any fans?
dude, put a rest to this tire nonsense already! ferrari have confirmed it was a setup problem in spain so expect them to improve this weekend regardless of tire

RZS10

this is from tickets.formula1.com - those are all the 'grand'stands:

virage du pont

ligne de depart

looks like 'sante baume' will be new, it's not in google earth yet

same goes for 'chicane'

and 'le beausset'

the descriptions on the site indicate that those will all have seats > new grandstands

there's also "general admission" which is probably the majority of the straights and some corners which have those small grass banks

FLuidd
FLuidd

Reading the analysis of Enrico Benzing, it seems Ferrari is the most aero efficient car on the grid this season.

That being said i would say the Ferrari drivers will lock the first row and i would expect the same in Spa and Monza.

For the race it will be a 1 stop with low chances of a SC due to the long run off areas.

Blackoutjulian
Blackoutjulian

F1Krof wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:47
Looks like a happy hunting ground for Ferrari tbh. Track has similarities that of China and Bahrain.
I predict another Vettel Pole & Victory. Good luck catching him.
Most people think this track is very similar to Spain though