2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

CMSMJ1 wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 15:32
chrisc90 wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 15:22
Can they be moved to their own thread?
Please create a thread for it - the amount of off topic, though worthy of discussion, means it needs to be removed.

I started deleting it from the first off topic..so am late to try and lift and shift.

Can we discuss race now? Thanks forum!
Done so. Thanks. Hopefully it brings some good discussion

PlatinumZealot

Are we getting free tyre choice to start the race on this year?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

WaikeCU wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 15:16
Can't wait to see how easy the cars can follow each other on track
I wouldn't hold my breath... its always going to be difficult to follow with f1 cars, no matter what they do with it.

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 16:09
I think so, yes

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Yes, no more q2 tyre rule

chrisc90

Please create a thread for it - the amount of off topic, though worthy of discussion, means it needs to be removed.

I started deleting it from the first off topic..so am late to try and lift and shift.

Can you check whether my PM got through please. It’s said in outbox rather than sent. Thanks

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

chrisc90 wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 16:26

Can you check whether my PM got through please. It’s said in outbox rather than sent. Thanks
Got it - thanks. Appreciated
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

codetower

Yes we are.

What I'm not clear about though is if there will be no C3 available for the race. From that graphic above looks like only C1 and C2 for race. :-k

Wouter

codetower wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 17:14
Yes we are.

What I'm not clear about though is if there will be no C3 available for the race. From that graphic above looks like only C1 and C2 for race. :-k
Yes, that's how I read it too. Only the C1 and C2 in the race. Seems strange to me.
The Power of Dreams!

codetower

Wouter wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 17:16
Yes we are.

Yes, that's how I read it too. Only the C1 and C2 in the race. Seems strange to me.
You need to use two different compounds so everyone will be on a one stop since it's the two hardest compounds. It kind of negates any type of tyre strategy... the only strategy being do you go hard->medium... or medium->hard.

organic

14 Mar 2022, 17:28
Wouter wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 17:16

Yes we are.

You need to use two different compounds so everyone will be on a one stop since it's the two hardest compounds. It kind of negates any type of tyre strategy... the only strategy being do you go hard->medium... or medium->hard.
Maybe. Pirelli representative said from the data they've seen during the 3 days indicated a 2-stop is likely

motobaleno

AFAIK, the only changes in this regards has been deleting art 30.5 where it says "each car which qualified for Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which the driver set his fastest time in Q2". so provided that once again you have to use two different compounds in the race, the choiche of such compounds is free among C1, C2 and C3.

MtthsMlw

Yes we are.

You can still use softs in the race but it's not mandatory like in quali. However you have to use two different compounds in the race just like before.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

silver wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 10:29
JPBD1990 wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022, 15:28
Interesting predictions by Michael Schmidt (click the link to view the whole thread, it’s interesting)

I think this is being overplayed. Reliability has been at it's best in F1 and it's only getting better. Even with such 'porpoising' issues, teams completed enormous amount of mileage. Some teams even completed race sims. All this without having to go through serious damage to any part of the car. In fact with a such simplified cars in terms of appendages, the amount of carbon fibre debris in clashes would be significantly less which also means, despite some contacts, the damage may not hurt a great deal on aero performance. Drivers just need to be cautious to avoid kerbs and especially if there are sausage curbs as now the underfloor is significantly important than ever. By next week there would be some solutions for the porpoising issues, either temporary or permanent.

I wish they would further simply the floor area and remove all those cuts, curves, bends, bulges and appendages with change of rules to make the floor inline with the FIA show car.
If the cars are consistently hitting the ground hard due to porpoising then you will damage the car over the course of a race weekend to the point where even the most robust of components will fail and may you run out of spare parts before the race so have to do running repairs on floors etc that might well fail in the race. We'll only know if it's been overstated once the race is over. Racing puts a lot more stresses and strains on the cars and drivers than testing ever will.

Aside from reliability, it'll be interesting to see how the race evolves in terms of how the drivers go about overtaking over the course of a race. Will it be tentative or caution thrown to the wind ?

silver
silver

taperoo2k wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 20:00
silver wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022, 10:29
JPBD1990 wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022, 15:28
Interesting predictions by Michael Schmidt (click the link to view the whole thread, it’s interesting)

I think this is being overplayed. Reliability has been at it's best in F1 and it's only getting better. Even with such 'porpoising' issues, teams completed enormous amount of mileage. Some teams even completed race sims. All this without having to go through serious damage to any part of the car. In fact with a such simplified cars in terms of appendages, the amount of carbon fibre debris in clashes would be significantly less which also means, despite some contacts, the damage may not hurt a great deal on aero performance. Drivers just need to be cautious to avoid kerbs and especially if there are sausage curbs as now the underfloor is significantly important than ever. By next week there would be some solutions for the porpoising issues, either temporary or permanent.

I wish they would further simply the floor area and remove all those cuts, curves, bends, bulges and appendages with change of rules to make the floor inline with the FIA show car.
If the cars are consistently hitting the ground hard due to porpoising then you will damage the car over the course of a race weekend to the point where even the most robust of components will fail and may you run out of spare parts before the race so have to do running repairs on floors etc that might well fail in the race. We'll only know if it's been overstated once the race is over. Racing puts a lot more stresses and strains on the cars and drivers than testing ever will.

Aside from reliability, it'll be interesting to see how the race evolves in terms of how the drivers go about overtaking over the course of a race. Will it be tentative or caution thrown to the wind ?
They did multiple race distances in 3 days testing, but nobody broke floors. Like I mentioned already, some cars did race sims without issues. Some cars had usual damages that we have seen in the past while running over kerbs. That's why in my opinion it's being overstated. As usual, there will be some cars that would hit reliability problems as nobody pushed the engine components to the fullest. It's an issue that we have witnessed in the past seasons.