Prediction Pecking Order at Melbourne.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop
andartop

Re: Prediction Pecking Order at Melbourne.

Belatti wrote:In reality, luck does not exist. The man that blames bad luck is the one who could not predict the facts that could happen. The man with experience may not have bad luck. Remember Murphy: all that may go wrong, will go wrong :lol:
Absolutely agree: luck does not exist for Mark Webber. I think Murphy's law should be modified to "all that may go wrong will go wrong, especially for Mark Webber".
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Metar

Moanlower wrote:Unlike most others I don't believe Nelson will be that much slower than Alonso. He isn't anywhere near as good when it comes to setting up a car which is understandable. But if you look back a least year's quali pace, Nelson was one of the closest to his teammate compared to other teams. If you then consider him being a rookie against a double WDC and also what a difficult car it was to drive, especially at the first half of the season.. I wouldn't write him off just yet.
Actually, wasn't Alonso the only one last season who beat his teammate in every single qualifying-session, often getting into or near Q3 while Piquet lost out in Q1, and later on reaching mid-high Q3 while Piquet remained in Q2?

Callum

Metar wrote:
Moanlower wrote:Unlike most others I don't believe Nelson will be that much slower than Alonso. He isn't anywhere near as good when it comes to setting up a car which is understandable. But if you look back a least year's quali pace, Nelson was one of the closest to his teammate compared to other teams. If you then consider him being a rookie against a double WDC and also what a difficult car it was to drive, especially at the first half of the season.. I wouldn't write him off just yet.
Actually, wasn't Alonso the only one last season who beat his teammate in every single qualifying-session, often getting into or near Q3 while Piquet lost out in Q1, and later on reaching mid-high Q3 while Piquet remained in Q2?
I think that's true but in Piquet's defence we don't know what fuel loads they were using, they could have been on completely different strategies.

Metar

Outside of Q3 (which is where Piquet spent most his time), they ran fumes like everyone else - why do otherwise? - so that's not much of an excuse...

db__

andartop wrote:
Belatti wrote:In reality, luck does not exist. The man that blames bad luck is the one who could not predict the facts that could happen. The man with experience may not have bad luck. Remember Murphy: all that may go wrong, will go wrong :lol:
Absolutely agree: luck does not exist for Mark Webber. I think Murphy's law should be modified to "all that may go wrong will go wrong, especially for Mark Webber".
Simpler than that ... let's just rename it "Webber's Law"

woohoo
woohoo

I would think that...

Ferrari
McLaren
BMW
Renault
Red Bull
Toyota
Torro Rosso
Williams
Force India
Brawn F1

..would be the general pecking order. But on the other hand there will be a big mix in between the teams.

Both Ferraris would start at the front, with Hamilton in there also.
Kubica would also be there (maybe a bit down) but ahead to Kovalinen and Heidfeld. Alonso would probably qualify close to Kubica, but infront of both Kovalinen and Heidfeld. Then the two RedBulls, Piquet, and the Toyotas mixed with the Williams' in one big mess. Then at the end of the pack the two FI cars, followed by the Brawn cars.

I also predict a spectacular race! [-o<
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Moanlower

Metar wrote:
Correct. Did you also notice that the difference between Alonso's times which often just got him into Q3 were averagely 3 tenths faster than Piquets. Not bad at all if you compair the differences between other teammates. And who else was a rookie with a teammate like Alonso?

Edit: You also have to bear in mind that those 3 tenths often was a difference of at least 5 places on the startgrid.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Metar

True, I forgot just how tight last season was..

alex1015
alex1015

Should be interesting to look back at this. This list is in terms of outright pace, we all know Melbourne can be a race of attrition.

Ferrari
RBR/Toyota
Williams / McLaren / BMW-Sauber
STR
BGP/Fi

But even once we know the performance at Melbourne that doesn't tell us a lot. After all the race can sometimes be a fluke in terms of performance relative to the whole season.

onon
onon

Im too biased towards ferrari team, so ferrari for the win. This year im looking forward to Vettel, Kimi and Rosberg. Hope they beat their respective teammates and Hamilton.

bassimon
bassimon

lol. Tonight i dreamt of button climbing the first row in qualifying. :?
But i do not believe it myself.
TUfast e.V.
Formula Student Team TU Munich

Chassis 2006 - 2010
http://www.tufast.de

Conceptual
Conceptual

Storybook races like Monza 2008 is exactly what the drama enducing "Spectacle" is all about!

I think we may see some crazy shakeups:

RBR
Ferrari
Mclaren/FI
STR/BR
Williams/Toyota
Renault/BMW

I think that the Renault/BMW nose will prove to be the wrong choice, and I think this year it will be Vettel and RBR as WDC/WCC.

Anyone have odds on this?

Kester
Kester

Like bookies? Skybet gives Vettel, S 16/1 and Red Bull 33/1.

Conceptual
Conceptual

Kester wrote:Like bookies? Skybet gives Vettel, S 16/1 and Red Bull 33/1.
That isn't too bad to be honest... For Vettel anyways.

timbo
timbo

Conceptual wrote:
Kester wrote:Like bookies? Skybet gives Vettel, S 16/1 and Red Bull 33/1.
That isn't too bad to be honest... For Vettel anyways.
Yep. Such result maybe interpreted as he will definitely won a single race next season.