FIA World Engine

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

Re: FIA World Engine

Well, I think it's the first time in history of capitalism that you try to reduce costs by creating a monopoly.
Ciro

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Max Mosley has revealed plans for a "world engine" that in 2013 would be capable of powering FIA categories including Formula One, World Rally Championship and Formula Two.

Embarrassing for all associated with the FIA - pretty much all can be said.

How can this man with such an obvious knowledge deficiency be allowed to remain in charge?

safeaschuck

If they are serious about fuel efficiency then smaller turbo'd engines would have to be used across the board. It would be silly to restrict combustion chamber development as this is still yielding good gains so leave heads/valves and pistons open but they could standardise the cylinder, crank and rods, and possibly use a modular v block but it would be hard to make it multiply out: Turbo V4 1.0l for touring cars and rally (restrictor plate removed), turbo V5 1.25l for formula 2 and turbo V6 1.5l for F1. A bit odd really??? would be interesting to see how the teams handled it though. would be nice if they allowed variable turbo's or went the supercharger route so the engines stand a chance of making some torque. They are going to have to standardise a hell of a lot of parts to get the cost down so max's proposal is not as unlikely as it sounds.

noname
noname

modbaraban wrote:Any chance to stick it into MotoGP, eh? It's a world championship too after all.
thanks god, MotoGP is under FIM jurisdiction.

ISLAMATRON

This is absolutely a great idea, unfortunately many of you are too short-sided to see it.

currently WRC is running a turbo'd 2L 4 cylinder... No reason why F1 cant run the same type engine... maybe with a higher boost level(especially with unlimited KERS). That same block can be run in a N/A config.

This would bring in so many different engine manufacturers into all the different categories.

We saw 1000 plus hp with turbo 1.5 L back in the 80's... so even for f1 they could easily squeeze 750 hp out of a Turbo 2L and make em last for at least 4 races.

Every manufacturer incorporates a 2L 4 cylinder in their road car line ups.

What matters for each formula or series level is the power to weight ratio.

WRC has been set at 300hp for the last several years out of Turbo 2L 4 cylinders. That can easily be raised to 750 hp for F1 or 500hp for F2, or it could be set at a proper level for WTCC, or LMP1, or LMP2, or F3000 and many others including Indycar.

They could easily change the boost levels for each series, or specify a rev limit or engine life standards... it is a brillian idea and easily executed.

Scania
Scania

how about

WTCC & WRC use same spec of car & engine (S2000)
Formula 3 use this spec's engine
F1, LM & INDY use same spec of engine
Super League & A1 use 1 engine in this spec
F2, GP2 Indy light & LMP2 use a tune down version of this spec

donskar
donskar

ISLAMATRON wrote:This is absolutely a great idea, unfortunately many of you are too short-sided to see it.

currently WRC is running a turbo'd 2L 4 cylinder... No reason why F1 cant run the same type engine... maybe with a higher boost level(especially with unlimited KERS). That same block can be run in a N/A config.

This would bring in so many different engine manufacturers into all the different categories.

We saw 1000 plus hp with turbo 1.5 L back in the 80's... so even for f1 they could easily squeeze 750 hp out of a Turbo 2L and make em last for at least 4 races.

Every manufacturer incorporates a 2L 4 cylinder in their road car line ups.

What matters for each formula or series level is the power to weight ratio.

WRC has been set at 300hp for the last several years out of Turbo 2L 4 cylinders. That can easily be raised to 750 hp for F1 or 500hp for F2, or it could be set at a proper level for WTCC, or LMP1, or LMP2, or F3000 and many others including Indycar.

They could easily change the boost levels for each series, or specify a rev limit or engine life standards... it is a brillian idea and easily executed.
Hi Max! How's it going in the dungeon?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ISLAMATRON

donskar wrote:Hi Max! How's it going in the dungeon?
any rational arguments or just silly remarks? Max has been mostly wrong during his tenure but I think he has a good idea going this time, especially in light of the current financial climate. Or are you one of those that think that unlimited spending is not a problem and that if the teams cant raise enough money then they shouldnt be in the sport?

bidong
bidong

I think Max Mosley is too concerned about cost-cutting that he's making rash decisions on how to cut costs. Announcing the plan of a 'World Engine' for 2013, when we are still unsure about the economic climate on 2012. I mean, people will prepare for this "world engine", if it is to arrive. Next, preparations mean that they would have to spend. Cost-booming.

Max and Bernie should go home, and not go to any races. Try to watch F1 on Tv, get disconnected from the grid and from the people who want a political leverage with them on their side. Clearly, Bernie has helped Lewis, Vettel, some of the boys and some of the teams. McLaren clearly doesn't play it Max's way, hence, getting punished most of the time; fairly sometimes, and most of the times unfairly. Well i guess max likes mclaren. He likes getting punished... with a whip. ;)

world engine is probably a good idea, but lets not talk about it max. you don't even know if you're alive by 2013.(i'm not joking, im 23 and i don't know if i will be alive... one step at a time) Wait for 2011 before we talk about it. As of now, let's watch this "spectacle" which you and Bernie have masterminded with the Overtaking Group's aerodynamic suggestions. Also, it would not be smart that while engine manufacturers are putting their gazzilions of dollars/euros/moolah in f1, silently you nudge them subliminally saying... "you won't be here by 2013... who's stroking me tonight? I need a supplier"

WORLD ENGINE? What is the WORLD coming to???

James_graham
James_graham

Hi Guys FIrst time posting for me,

It makes no sense to me as the conditions for engines now are so different in rallying and single seater racing an engine across the different formula could not work. Plus I see manufacturers of engines droping out of the various formulae if they lose their marketing angle (ie no point mercedes running with an FIA engine)

I do agree though having someone governing World motorsport who doesn't seem to have a clue is a very bad idea!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

ISLAMATRON wrote:This is absolutely a great idea, unfortunately many of you are too short-sided to see it.
So when is the last time a WRC engine had to form part (well, essentially all) of the primary loadpaths from front to back axle?

shir0

donskar wrote:
Hi Max! How's it going in the dungeon?
:lol: I can hear whips lashing...
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

noname
noname

beauty and power of the world we know come from it's differentiation and what Max and Bernie are proposing is big unification. to be honest that's the path our civilization is trying to follow forgetting 2nd principle of thermodynamics.

as for the idea itself. just look what we have during last few seasons - very strict technical regulation forcing teams to spend huge amount of money to get small improvement. if they put into live this silly "one engine fits all" idea we may see something similar.

“As my mother told me and certainly yours told you - you should always try new things” - Hannibal Lecter ;)

gridwalker
gridwalker

For some reason, the moment I read about this I had to go through my MP3s and play "What the f*ck is wrong with you?" by Combichrist ...

I mean, REALLY Max, W.T.F??? :shock:
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Steven
Owner

I don't think this idea is necessarily a bad thing, but it eventually can be one. Its succes will greatly depend on the feasibility on how to differentiate the engines for differant formulae, and also in which formulae this would be used.

I believe building an engine that can output 300 to 600hp in different configurations is possible, but there will still be a considerable difference between the engines then, whereas Max's idea is to have one engine that only slightly differs - preferrably only electronically - from any other configuration.

Even though it might work, I still feel it's a bad thing to not allow different V-angles, boxer engines, inlines, ... but I think it should be possible to create a cross series ruleset that allows more different engines. Getting them used in several series will attract more attention to manufacturers while teams will be more free to chose which engine to use (although I'm not sure that is the way to go for F1).