British GP 2009 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
paused

Re: British GP 2009

djos wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:man you been praying for a Webber win for a looooooong time huh
guilty as charged :lol: he's come so bloody close on at least 2 occasion's only to be let down by his Williams (Monaco fire) & his current team mate (Japan)!
Yup. How bad were the hydraulics on that Williams :oops: :oops:

Giblet
Giblet

Weber, like Rubens, will get a well deserved win this season.

Button has been marginally faster than Rubes, and Vettel has been marginally faster than Weber, but hard work and an eye on the ball will reward at least one of these two drivers this season.

The leading driver on each respective team seems to be faster in 2 out of 3 sectors at each race, with their teammate usually pipping them in 1 of 3 sectors.

I fear Rubens will allow frustration of being a little slower then Button to affect him, he is already acting outside of his usual relaxed self, and droning on too long about how hard he is trying in interviews. He is damning his luck where it has affected him, and seems 'overly focused' for such a seasoned pro. He needs a bit of DC's "I don't give a f what you think" attitude.

Weber never seems to damn his obviously horrible luck, and as a seasoned athlete of many disciplines, sees F1 as another athletic challenge, and for this reason, djos, I feel you are going to get your wish very soon, good athletes find ways to in whatever sport they are in. They are very good at identifying their own weaknesses, but drivers are quick to blame the cars weaknesses.

I don't think it will be this race, as Vettel, making a mistake last race, will likely show everyone this race that he is as good as we think, and not go off line handing the race to the number 2.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

paused

What is good for the championship is not necessarilty fair on Button. But since I would like the championship to become more of a conetst (and only for that reason) I am hoping

1) Webber
2) Vettel
3) Glock
4) Trulli
5) Rosberg
6) Alonso
7) Massa
8) Kimi

AND

Button & Rubens DNF (crashed into each other off the line).

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:and Vettel has been marginally faster than Weber

How true is this really? Let's look at the numbers
Discounting an abnormal Bahrain GP qualifying
Webbo has actually been faster in Q1 4 times to SV's 2
and in Q2 it has been even 3 to 3
but in Q3 it has been all Vettle 6 to 0... but it has been the norm for SV to be lighter in Q3 on average by 6.33kg
and on top of that it seems that Vettle routinely leaves his last Q3 lap for later in the session, sometimes even the last car to cross the line.

But how much is this aggressive qualifying strategy paying out for SV?

Well qualing light in Australia made him run the wrong tires too long and led to the tangle with RK. We all saw how he ran off the tires in Monaco and put it in the wall, and his low fuel/3 stop staegy wasnt as good as Webbo's in Turkey.

Taking into account Webber's pre season accident(and the more testing milage that gave Vettle), I'm not totally convinced that Sv is faster than Webber... but we will see.

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Giblet wrote:and Vettel has been marginally faster than Weber

How true is this really? Let's look at the numbers
Discounting an abnormal Bahrain GP qualifying
Webbo has actually been faster in Q1 4 times to SV's 2
and in Q2 it has been even 3 to 3
but in Q3 it has been all Vettle 6 to 0... but it has been the norm for SV to be lighter in Q3 on average by 6.33kg
and on top of that it seems that Vettle routinely leaves his last Q3 lap for later in the session, sometimes even the last car to cross the line.

But how much is this aggressive qualifying strategy paying out for SV?

Well qualing light in Australia made him run the wrong tires too long and led to the tangle with RK. We all saw how he ran off the tires in Monaco and put it in the wall, and his low fuel/3 stop staegy wasnt as good as Webbo's in Turkey.

Taking into account Webber's pre season accident(and the more testing milage that gave Vettle), I'm not totally convinced that Sv is faster than Webber... but we will see.
Probably one of the most informed posts iv read in a long while.

Giblet
Giblet

Sorry, wasn't talking about quali, just about race laps, and from what I saw watching the live timing, SV has marginally quicker, and his better finishes when they both finished bolstered my view.

I'm also not convinced that SV is any more talented than MW. Vettel's possible age advantage is balanced by Weber's possible experience advantage.

It's all so close, and pointless for me to try to call without going over each race lap by lap, and even then, it all doesn't matter until the last lap of the year if they stay as close as they are.

It's pretty cool when two drivers are so close to each other that this far in the season it's still anyones game.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

djos

Giblet wrote:Sorry, wasn't talking about quali, just about race laps, and from what I saw watching the live timing, SV has marginally quicker, and his better finishes when they both finished bolstered my view.

I'm also not convinced that SV is any more talented than MW. Vettel's possible age advantage is balanced by Weber's possible experience advantage.

It's all so close, and pointless for me to try to call without going over each race lap by lap, and even then, it all doesn't matter until the last lap of the year if they stay as close as they are.

It's pretty cool when two drivers are so close to each other that this far in the season it's still anyones game.
Webbo clearly has BoyWonder owned in the races; When he hasn't been knocked out of qually by a blind FI driver he has beaten Vettel home in the races more often than not (using superior strategy and a wise head) and if the Malaysian race had been red flagged 1 lap later, Webbo would be in front on points, not behind by 1.5.
"In downforce we trust"

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

Giblet wrote:Sorry, wasn't talking about quali, just about race laps, and from what I saw watching the live timing, SV has marginally quicker, and his better finishes when they both finished bolstered my view.

I think its testament to both drivers that they we can basically not tell who is quicker, as there is a case for both.

I do think over the course of the season Mark will come out on top of Seb but really its that close you cant tell.

ISLAMATRON

djos wrote:

Webbo clearly has BoyWonder owned in the races; When he hasn't been knocked out of qually by a blind FI driver he has beaten Vettel home in the races more often than not (using superior strategy and a wise head) and if the Malaysian race had been red flagged 1 lap later, Webbo would be in front on points, not behind by 1.5.

I wouldnt go as far as to say Webbo has him "owned" but it is difficult to measure/compare their race pace seeing that SV regularly starts the race on lower fuel and on the wrong tires.. really they have rarely been on the same fuel/tire strategy at any point of any race.

I bet we'll see SV qualing on low fuel again this weekend, I dont understand why RBR insist on this type of strategy that rarely pays off... maybe they are sure that 2nd is where they will finish in the WCC so they are gambling on these offbeat strategies to net them a win or two.

paused

I think that one is called having an each way bet. In fact CH admitted as much when asked why they did not change SV to a 2 stop strategy in Turkey. The answer was well they knew they couldn't win with 2 stop so split the strategy to see how it panned out.

Actually since SV and MW are so close on points I think you will definitely see a big gap in weights again, to try and cover off both possibilities.

djos

paused wrote:I think that one is called having an each way bet. In fact CH admitted as much when asked why they did not change SV to a 2 stop strategy in Turkey. The answer was well they knew they couldn't win with 2 stop so split the strategy to see how it panned out.

Actually since SV and MW are so close on points I think you will definitely see a big gap in weights again, to try and cover off both possibilities.
So im a glass half full kinda guy, sue me! :lol:

<- Yay, my 400th post here. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Hamilton crossing the line last year:-

He's a 50-1 shot to do the same again this year. Rubbish odds :)

And yes, I did get soaked last year. :(

Giblet
Giblet

Talk about synchronicity and serendipity.

monkeyboy1976, at the time of this posting I am making, also has 400 posts, and you are listed above as 400th.

tadzio89
tadzio89

Why they use these cables?

Giblet
Giblet

They are hoses I believe, for filling the tires with air to the correct pressures.