F1 drivers salaries.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are F1 drivers paid too much?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 79

raymondu999

Re: F1 drivers salaries.

"Move over! That's MY bonus!" :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

In 2012 Vettel is rumored to be moving to a 50/50 split contract, whitch means his base pay is £10million, with £1million for a win. In real terms that means he will potentially earn £20million+ that season.

Hence why Webber has only signed for 2011 as there is no indication that he will stay at Red Bull as Marko wants to see how STR get along with their drivers in 2011, as one could be replaced with Ricardo half way thru next year so to get experience as Marko wants Ricardo in red Bull for 2012.

But lets not make this the silly season thread and Red Bull Webber Vs Marko thread.

There are other teams that are thinking about moving to the Red Bull model as it means their costs are cut and that they can then get drivers to race faster for money. I think that Renault and Force India could move to this model and the other smaller teams are already looking at it for 2011. I think the 30/70 pay model is the most cost effective method for any team that isnt Mclaren or Ferarri.

Its like any job, if theres a bonus involved, you will work harder, get more out of it. For a F1 driver that may be enough to get an extra thnth or two per lap out of the car. The carrot and stick approach works and any self respecting team owner would be dumb not to think about using it.

raymondu999

A bit off topic, but didn't Heidfeld suddenly speed up when Jacques Villeneuve was replaced by Bobby K? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Yup, by arround 4 thenths. As Heidfeld was the biggest earner then and was at BMW Sauber untill last year. Nick was rumored to get $8million for a race seat and Bob was earning arround $5million last year and $3 million the previous seasons.

How ironic that Bob now gets paid $8M at Renault and Nick got paid $500,000 at Mercedes and is rumored to earn $1M from Pirelli.

Heidfeld is a good driver, but overpirced in the market. Id say that if he can get himself a seat that pays $3M to $5M a season he would now take it.

Caito
Caito

Doubt about Button's. Wasn't Button in the 4mill, and changed to McLaren which was paying less?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 23049.html

7.5Mill, not that far anyway.

Bye bye!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

marcush.
marcush.

f1 drivers are motivated by bonus for good finishes? comeon ...i do not believe that webber or Vettel think about the money they could earn by passing their temamate..thats´s far from it.
It will not help for motivation ,it will make life easier for the team when things do not go as planned..and income for the team wil not go up due to wins ...as the driver will take it .
In the end a mistake by the team will cost the driver ..double...but I don´t think they care ..
these guys work as hard as they can and this is surely not affected by earning the odd million more or less.

Richard
Richard

I can understand RB have different retainers for Webber & Vettel as they have different vale for branding as well as development potential. However, I would have thought the win bonus would be the same - points have the same value to the team whoever wins them.

Neco FEROX

I also think that Adrian Sutil is underpaid. BY FAR

Cam

Thought I'd update this. A news article came out today saying Force India was looking for a 'fast' driver and not a paying one. It's a difficult argument on whether paying drivers should be in the sport, however it's nice to see a team, publicly anyway, stating that speed is king.

F1 2012 driver salaries
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari €30m
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes €16m
= Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes €16m
4. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing €10m
= Mark Webber Red Bull Racing €10m
= Felipe Massa Ferrari €10m
= Nico Rosberg Mercedes €10m
8. Michael Schumacher Mercedes €8m
9. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus F1 Team €5m
10. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham F1 Team €4m
11. Timo Glock Marussia F1 Team €3m
12. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber €1m
= Romain Grosjean Lotus F1 Team €1m
14. Nico Hulkenberg Force India F1 €500,000
= Sergio Perez Sauber €500,000
= Vitaly Petrov Caterham F1 Team €500,000
= Pedro de la Rosa HRT €500,000
18. Pastor Maldonado Williams €400,000
= Daniel Ricciardo Scuderia Toro Rosso €400,000
= Jean-Eric Vergne Scuderia Toro Rosso €400,000
21. Bruno Senna Williams €250,000
= Narain Karthikeyan HRT €250,000
23. Paul di Resta Force India F1 €200,000
24. Charles Pic Marussia €150,000

Source

But who's paying for their ride?
Pastor Maldonado - PdVSA
Charles Pic - funding from French former F1 drivers Olivier Panis and Eric Bernard
Romain Grosjean - estimated $5 million through Total
Vitaly Petrov - $5 million per season with SIBUR
Bruno Senna - from firms in Brazil are worth an estimated $18 million

Source
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Cam wrote: F1 2012 driver salaries

when you look at that, are F1 drivers paid too much? No.

when you compare it to other sports (which are far less dangerous) they aint paid enough - in relation to the pay scale of selected sports.

Some football (soccer) players earn some f1 drivers salaries a week. Kicking a football isn't dangerous.

Websta

The salaries are based on the performance they bring to the table - the cost of the 2-3-tenths of qualifying pace that Hamilton brings to the table over his team mate would cost a lot of money in engineering and development, possibly a comparable amount. Then consider the return the team gets from sponsors and championship-finishing position, merchandise sold etc. If they play their cards right, they should end up profiting on a driver like Hamilton. If they weren't, they should be taking a look at their business strategy. I am stating this with very little knowledge, so correct me if I am wrong.

Drivers aren't necessarily getting compensated for their dangerous profession - it's simply supply and demand at work, and the fact that the investment has a good return. These sorts of mechanisms are much more overt in other sports where the teams profit from fans more directly - like Baseball, NFL, Football etc.

raymondu999

Wow - that's a very quantitative approach to the whole situation! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

[quote="Websta"][/quote]

I understand your statement. Its based on the business side of things so you are correct what you say which is why other professions are paid the same or more.

What i'm saying is if you took that out of the equation and look directly at the different sports professions F1 drivers should be some of the highest paid. But of course it doesn't work like that!

clipsy1H

guys if we check forbes (best business magazine and also best source) highest paid athletes are (i post here just F1 drivers)

number 10. Hamilton (28 millions salary + 21 millions endorsements = 49 millions total earnings)
number 12. Button ( 29 millions salary + 18.5 millions endorsements = 47.5 millions total earnings)
number 17. Alonso (29 millions salary +6 millions endorsements = 35 millions total earnings)
number 22. V.Rossi (17 millions salary + 13 millions endorsements = 30 millions total earnings)
number 23. Schumacher (20 millions salary + 10 millions endorsements = 30 millions total earnings)

and others racers Earnhardt, Jr. (28.5 millions total earnings [NASCAR] ) ; Tony Stewart (23.5 millions total earnings [NASCAR] )

i really don't know what to say :D ........ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_li ... d_athletes (maybe at schumacher they are wrong .... i think he got 10 milions salary + 20 endorsements)

astracrazy
astracrazy

i think thats wrong. Im sure its been well documented that Hamilton is on 15M (at mclaren)? and i thought mclaren were pretty strict on endorsements so I can't see he would have 21M worth. If you said 21M with endorsements it would be more understandable.

To my understanding, Alonso is the highest paid

or is this total over the course of a contract 3/4 years?

edit: btw you didn't say its in $. So some is right but i still think Alonso is the highest paid