Engine cooling numbers?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Engine cooling numbers?

correction, the rb6 is straight, but the fw32 has a curved profile:

For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

the slant radiators may have a bigger surface area ,but at which angle the air is hitting the core? also at the top the radiator duct is very short at the bottom the inlet duct is very long .....so in terms of flowmanagement this layout is surely not that easy .Compare this with the Renault approach of almost upright radiators and you get really long nice inlet and allmost perfect flow towards the core ....and they have surprisingly small cores..this will also do away with a lot of water ,right?

ringo

The Renault has a similar difficulty, but from the top view.
The angle to the body is very narrow and the doesn't have the same ram effect as if it was facing forward.

here's some food for thought.

For the williams curved radiator.

This is the area increase, based on the relationship between the length and the deviation of the curvature from the straight radiator.

[img][IMG]http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... rcurve.jpg[/img][/img]
assuming the curve is a radius curve.

ratio = {pi/90 * [(4x^2 + L^2)/8x] * Sin^-1 [4xL/(4x^2 + L^2)]} / L

I derived this little formula a while ago, it's nice to quantify what's happening.

For a radiator lenght of 3 feet and a deviaton x of 3 inches, the area factor increaded by 1.8%

if x is 4 inches, the lenght increases by 3.2%, not a lot, but it's something when coupled with those area factors on the previous page.
For Sure!!

Belatti
Belatti

xpensive wrote: Imagine duct openings being 0.1 square meter, air-speed of 90 m/s (324 km/h) and a total Cv through the passage of 0.5,
gentlemen, that's 22 kW or 30 Hp!
Doesnt seem big deal to me. Thats what happen at high speed anyway.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

xpensive
xpensive

Belatti wrote: ...
Thats what happen at high speed anyway.
Oboy, silly me, but that settles every dicussion I guess?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

forty-two

Sorry to be late to this party, and also sorry if someone has already mentioned it (but I don't think they have), but another couple of factors occurred to me on this topic.

When calculating cooling requirements for an enclosure, such as a PC, it is important to consider that the air being used to carry the heat away will expand proportionate to the amount of head energy it absorbs into the bargain, so I've heard figures of up to a 3x expansion (in terms of ambient air drawn in vs hot exhaust air). Surely similar things need to be considered in terms of an F1 car's cooling requirements?

Secondly, it occurs to me that the low pressure created behind an F1 car could very well be used to draw hot air through the car, so wouldn't the airflow/volume calculations need to take this into account? Or does none of this matter as it's taking place downstream of the radiator?

Perhaps this warm air could be used to "energise" the diffusor (whatever that means!?!).

Finally, could it be that a smart team such as Red Bull might have actually used the above to their advantage on the RB6. Maybe, for example this was the reason for the famed "unicorn hole" at the tail end of the RB6 being so much larger (and taller) than that seen on most of the other cars last year?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Pedro
Pedro

The water system is typically dispersing around 110 kW and engine oil 100 kW. KERS needs around 4 kW (for battery pack and motor), hydraulic system 4 kW and 12 kW for transmission.

aleks_ader

Pedro wrote:The water system is typically dispersing around 110 kW and engine oil 100 kW. KERS needs around 4 kW (for battery pack and motor), hydraulic system 4 kW and 12 kW for transmission.
Where do come to this numbers? Could you paste here source? Please i will be glad! Thx! Or are this just your predictions?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

WhiteBlue

The most basic figure for the total cooling requirement would be the efficiency of the engine. For current engines it is believed to be around 29%. So 71% of the max fuel flow times specific energy of the fuel has to be dumped in heat. More than 250 kW of that energy will go out with the exhaust gas. What is left will be dissipated via the water, the oil and the surfaces of the drive train. If you compare the size of the coolers for water and oil it would be a logical assumption that the water will carry 80% of that or more.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Edis
Edis

WhiteBlue wrote:The most basic figure for the total cooling requirement would be the efficiency of the engine. For current engines it is believed to be around 29%. So 71% of the max fuel flow times specific energy of the fuel has to be dumped in heat. More than 250 kW of that energy will go out with the exhaust gas. What is left will be dissipated via the water, the oil and the surfaces of the drive train. If you compare the size of the coolers for water and oil it would be a logical assumption that the water will carry 80% of that or more.
If an engine convert 30% of the heat to work, about 40% of the heat will go out with the exhaust. The last 30% will be shared by coolant, oil and surrounding air.

Cooling pump capacity:
BMW P80: 2 x 250 l/min
BMW P82: 1 x 450 l/min